Analysts say iPhone 15 incremental update will still attract buyers

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

Apple's iPhone 15 launch held few surprises, according to multiple analysts, yet because of pricing and selected new features, it is enough to prompt upgraders to buy.

Apple Park
Apple Park

Where Wedbush called the Apple Event "impressive" and in part raised its price target for the company to $240, other firms have kept to their previous valuations. Most analysts claim the event was as predicted, but there were some welcome surprises.

"Most impressive was the addition of spatial photo and video capability on iPhone 15 Pro models," said Gene Munster in a note seen by AppleInsider. He adds that it "lays the foundation for Vision Pro demand, due out early next year."

"The step up from current video to spatial video is as big as the step from still photos to video a hundred years ago," continued Munster. "This is the first killer feature on Vision Pro and it will change how people recollect memories."

"The iPhone 15's new features were broadly in line with the market view," said TD Cowen, "though new ray tracing graphics and spatial video support were noteworthy."

Pricing and the future of Apple devices

"Interestingly, Apple maintained pricing across both Apple Watches and iPhone SKUs," wrote JP Morgan analysts, "however, with the nuance being that the company eliminated the low-end storage SKU for the iPhone 15 Pro Max, thus raising the starting price without raising prices for specific storage SKUs."

JP Morgan thinks that pricing for the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the "widening of the price differential to other models in the lineup could drive negative mix implications relative to prior years."

Munster is more confident of Apple's decision to keep prices the same.

"We think that maintaining pricing is the right move," Munster wrote. "Apple has perfected the price-to-value curve since the iPhone launched in 2007 -- a pricing lineup that encourages buyers to trade up. That dynamic remains intact."

"Additionally, if Apple had raised prices for the entire iPhone lineup," continued Munster, "the company would risk upsetting demand given consumers are particularly price sensitive in this macroeconomic environment."

Munster believes the pricing may be a more significant than features in tempting existing users to upgrade, but also that such users will buy and in numbers

"While most of these updates were incremental, they're enough to attract the 400m iPhone owners with phones more than 4 years old," he says, "which should return Apple to revenue growth in the December quarter."

Morgan Stanley believes Apple is maintaining pricing by reducing costs. "In our view, the biggest takeaway is that Apple continues to synthetically drive iPhone ASPs higher," it says, "despite no change to like-for-like pricing, which helps to offset the risk to iPhone shipments in China."

"Taking a step back, we don't believe today's event will sway the growing cohort of bears that see China as a re-emerging, paramount risk not embedded in today's $175 stock price," continues Morgan Stanley. "[Our rating] reflects a longer-term view as we believe that over the next 12 months, the upside to iPhone, Services, and gross margin estimates will offset any potential multiple compression such that Apple can outperform peers."

Morgan Stanley notes that "we wouldn't be aggressive buyers until the stock dipped into the $160-170 range." The company maintains its price target of $215.

JP Morgan agrees about this year's updates being "evolutionary," but says it believes that Apple "is already slowly integrating AR/VR capabilities and building the ecosystem in order to drive more content to be consumed via the Apple Vision Pro and subsequent product launches."

Munster, for one, has previously said that it's Apple's loyal userbase that means investors should regard it as a long term bet.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    That is exactly what is going to happen.
    Users that have iPhone12 or prior will be the most compelled to upgrade. Their jump will be significant. I myself will be upgrading from iPhoneXS. 

The iPhone13/14 crowd, not so much even though quite a few of them will.

That's what all these years building an eco system does. Build a healthy base and constant revenue streams for Apple.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 13
    The 'Spatial Video' of the iPhone 15 Pro is likely to be a proof of concept feature to kickstart the developers. I would expect the 16 Pro Max to have an extra lens at the opposite end of the body, so two identical lenses & sensors roughly eye-distance apart, to exploit the real potential for the end-user. 
    edited September 2023 kdupuis77FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 13
    timmillea said:
    The 'Spatial Video' of the iPhone 15 Pro is likely to be a proof of concept feature to kickstart the developers. I would expect the 16 Pro Max to have an extra lens at the opposite end of the body, so two identical lenses & sensors roughly eye-distance apart, to exploit the real potential for the end-user. 
    It's also a wise move to get as many people taking spatial video/photos as soon as possible in order for users to have already amassed a year (for early adopters) or more (for most of us) worth of content that can then be viewed properly with Vision Pro (or plain old Vision as I'm sure Apple will eventually release later on down the road). We are that much closer to the eyePhone from Futurama haha.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Serious, genuine Q:

What the fuck could have Apple done with the 15/Pro so that it wouldn't be considered "incremental" by anyone? Please list reasonable, rational, logical things. 

Cause I can't think of anything. The phones, especially the Pro, are an upgrade in pretty much every single category and enable some cool new shit. 

• Reply 5 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,022member
    slurpy said:
    Serious, genuine Q:

What the fuck could have Apple done with the 15/Pro so that it wouldn't be considered "incremental" by anyone? Please list reasonable, rational, logical things. 

Cause I can't think of anything. The phones, especially the Pro, are an upgrade in pretty much every single category and enable some cool new shit. 

In actual performance, hardware, and software it’s just another step ahead of the competition, most of whom are still trying to match what Apple did two years ago, I’m talking about the actual performance and functionality of the hardware and software as one, not just reading down a spec sheet.

The leading reviewer (Anandtech) in recent times of smartphones, tablets and computers, has largely given up reviewing or comparing hardware unfortunately. (Apple was trouncing the competition).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    slurpy said:
    Serious, genuine Q:

I agree for the most part. I would have liked to see faster charging and reverse wireless charging. They let you charge AirPods with a cable already. 

The reality is smartphones have reached a plateau. I’ve upgraded every other year since the 3G but my 13 Pro does everything I need and this I don’t need to upgrade. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 13
    The new addition of hardware accelerated raytracing is likely to set a new default level of device requirement for many future games - this should drive upgrades significantly too. 

Of course the hardware accelerated raytracing that iPad and Macs will get will also be awesome, including in conjunction with Vision Pro. I can actually see Vision Pro being shipped with M3 next spring instead of M2.

danox
  • Reply 8 of 13
    aderutter said:
    The new addition of hardware accelerated raytracing is likely to set a new default level of device requirement for many future games - this should drive upgrades significantly too. 

Of course the hardware accelerated raytracing that iPad and Macs will get will also be awesome, including
    in conjunction with Vision Pro. I can actually see Vision Pro being shipped with M3 next spring instead of M2.

I agree — since M3 isn’t released yet, they couldn’t possibly have announced it for Vision Pro in June.  But maybe the specs are set at this point.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    slurpy said:
    Serious, genuine Q:

Cause I can't think of anything. The
    phones, especially the Pro, are an upgrade in pretty much every single category and enable some cool new shit. 

A lot of people like to throw around the term “incremental” with each new version of anything Apple makes — and most obviously don’t know what the term means.

A titanium material on the Pro body that has never been used before on an iPhone, a programmable action button, a tetraprism system for 5x telephoto, 3nm A17 Pro chip — if anyone thinks these are “incremental” changes, they are a fool.
    MacPro
  • Reply 10 of 13
    thedba said:
    That is exactly what is going to happen.
    Users that have iPhone12 or prior will be the most compelled to upgrade. Their jump will be significant. I myself will be upgrading from iPhoneXS. 

The iPhone13/14 crowd, not so much even though quite a few of them will.

That's what all these years building an eco system does. Build a healthy base and constant revenue streams for Apple.
    Yep..I'm on an iPhone 12 Pro and I plan on pre-ordering Friday for a new 15 Pro. If you have last years phone though I don't think its worth upgrading unless you're a person who absolutely must have the latest and greatest of everything all the time (which is silly to me but to each their own)
    MacPro
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    Sorry, the negative crap makes me mad.  Incremental???  OK, some investors / institutions just want a dip, hence such baloney, well OK ... well thanks I'll take it as an opportunity.

iPhone 13 Pro Max here and I am definitely upgrading to the 15 Pro Max.  Check my posts, I predicted the 15 Pro Max would shoot 3d and I will be shooting a shit load to watch on my Apple Vision Pro as soon as it is available.  What I didn't know was, it would have depth of focus adjustment in post!  Jeez ... incremental?  Now with that 120mm lens ability my Sony A1 and A7 IV are going to be collecting even more dust. This is Sci Fi in your pocket people.  I am definitely getting two new Apple Watches and an iPhone 15 Pro for my wife.  Oh, and I bought another 100K of AAPL on the dip.  I have never seen Apple doing so well.  With data showing 90% of teens in the USA have iPhones just think about the future.  Sammy can't even make a  decent fridge.  Bravo Tim, $3T by 2025 or sooner?
    edited September 2023 FileMakerFellerKierkegaarden
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    slurpy said:
    Serious, genuine Q:

Cause I can't think of anything. The
    phones, especially the Pro, are an upgrade in pretty much every single category and enable some cool new shit. 

A lot of people like to throw around the term “incremental” with each new version of anything Apple makes — and most obviously don’t know what the term means.

A titanium material on the Pro body that has never been used before on an iPhone, a programmable action button, a tetraprism system for 5x telephoto, 3nm A17 Pro chip — if anyone thinks these are “incremental” changes, they are a fool.
    Right on. The anti-Apple folks have been at it since Blackberry would win then Android was going to win and iPhone was going to fail, Apple Watch was going to fail, iPad was going to fail, Samsung was going to kill Apple. ROFL... They are reduced to 'incremental.' I think Apple is just getting warmed up.
    Kierkegaardendanox
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and have watched on with envy at my wife's 14 Pro Max. I will be ordering my 15 Pro Max tomorrow in Natural Titanium. It looks like an amazing phone. 
    Kierkegaarden