Rumors of all iPhone 16 models having an A18 processor make no sense

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

A stock analyst has put forth the rumor that the entire iPhone 16 lineup will have an A18-branded chip, but between his track record and Apple's recent patterns, it seems unlikely at this point.

The iPhone 16 Pro, maybe
The iPhone 16 Pro, maybe

In a note to investors, Analyst Jeff Pu is claiming that the entire iPhone 16 lineup will get a processor branded with A18. He's since clarified that, saying that the will be the A18 in the lower-end iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus, with a Pro version in the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max.

Adding more color, in an email to our friends over at MacRumors, he says that all of the A18 processor line will be produced with TSMC's second-generation 3nm chip manufacturing process called "N3E," vice "N3B" which is what was used for the A17 Pro processor.

We don't think that's likely for two main reasons.

Apple has set the stage for two iPhone model-years

We don't think it's a coincidence that for two years, Apple has put its most modern iPhone processor in the Pro models, and the previous year's in the non-Pro form factor. It's a differentiator between the lines beyond the camera.

TSMC shipping N3E-based chips does not mean that it is lighting its N3B lines on fire. The company still produces 28nm chips for consumer goods and the automotive industry, and all the processes in between it and 3nm.

There's no reason to believe that this will stop. Other leakers with a more reliable record have yet to chime in on this, and Pu isn't what you'd call a "first-tier leaker."

Pu's track record doesn't help

Pu's record as it pertains to Apple's future plans is not good. Most recently, he predicted that the iPhone 15 Pro Max would have a higher price, which did not materialize. He also said that the iPhone 15 Pro Max wouldn't ship until October, which was also false.

This was stacked on top of rumors in May, which predicted iPhone 15 Pro production delays because of the 48 megapixel camera expected in the device. And a bit before that, he predicted "AirPods Lite" after other analysts with similar track records said the same -- and there is no sign of that either.

On top of that, his other predictions about Apple products are either obvious or reported elsewhere first. To date, nothing he's said seems to be related to any information he's gleaning independently from Apple's supply chain.

If this report was from Mark Gurman, or Ming-Chi Kuo, we'd give it a "possible" rating. Since it's from Pu, there's more than enough to be incredibly skeptical about it at this time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    This absolutely makes sense.  Seems like it's been moving this directions for a while.

The new A series in the Pro and Previous A series in the "Regular" has been a stop-gap to a Pro model and regular model of Apple Silicon.

They first did separation with the extra GPU core on the 13 Pro.

Then the put that with the extra GPU in the 14, giving it sill an improved chip, and the new A16 in the 14 Pro.

But now that A17 introduced "Pro", it makes sense to have an A18 and A18 Pro.

This evolution has already been underway.
    canukstormnubustechconcwatto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 2 of 14
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,720member
    This absolutely makes sense.  Seems like it's been moving this directions for a while.

The new A series in the Pro and Previous A series in the "Regular" has been a stop-gap to a Pro model and regular model of Apple Silicon.

They first did separation with the extra GPU core on the 13 Pro.

Then the put that with the extra GPU in the 14, giving it sill an improved chip, and the new A16 in the 14 Pro.

But now that A17 introduced "Pro", it makes sense to have an A18 and A18 Pro.

This evolution has already been underway.
    Apple can differentiate the non-Pro and Pro versions by GPU capability and USB-C speeds
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,147member
    It could be a fairly simple marketing change, A17 Pro gets a rebrand to A18 not-Pro (with USB speeds and a GPU cut most likely), A18 Pro continues to be the new architecture 
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Actually it does make sense. Apple will not want to produce the A17 longer than it needs to. The N3B process took some shortcuts and was just a way to start making chips for Apple before they were actually ready for the N3 process node. Next year they will certainly want to see all chips built on the N3E process which is much less expensive.

That probably means an A18 and a A18 Pro. The A18 Pro may have more GPU cores enabled. Apple is setting the stage for this next year by calling this years processor the A17 Pro despite no "plain" A17. If Apple does use the A17 naming for the lower-end iPhone next year it will certainly be an A17 redone for the N3E process. I would not be surprised if we see Apple really go overboard on the A18 GPU to continue with the gaming focus (going head-to-head with the Switch 2 next year) and start working toward a lower cost Vision headset. I think Apple is just getting started with prioritizing AAA class gaming that could take on consoles now that most of the pieces are in place: DirectX compatibility, mesh shaders / next gen shading pipeline, raytracing, upscaling, Game Porting Toolkit, etc. It feels like Apple might want to really hit their stride in AAA gaming 1-2 years from now.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Agree that it is BS. I could do better. For example, A18 will probably be on N3P, not N3E. You heard it here first, folks! Send me your money!

He might be right about there being both A18 Bionic (neural engine) and A18 Pro (hardware ray tracing), I guess, maybe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,872administrator
    Agree that it is BS. I could do better. For example, A18 will probably be on N3P, not N3E. You heard it here first, folks! Send me your money!

He might be right about there being both A18 Bionic (neural engine) and A18 Pro (hardware ray tracing), I guess, maybe.
    Funnily, the first draft of this piece had a section talking about N3P. I saved it for another day.
    edited October 2023 tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I would rate this as "Possible," since it's really just what Apple has been doing with M-chips--i.e., a base model for consumer machines, Pro & Max versions for the higher end. However, it still seems less than likely to me because it upsets Apple's cost structure in the way it amortizes its A-chips over long periods of time and in many different devices. For example: The A16 from last year's 14 Pro is now in the regular iPhone 15. Meanwhile Apple has plugged the A15 from two years ago into both regular models of the iPhone 14, plus the 13 and the SE... all of which are in the current lineup. The A15 also powers the Apple TV 4K and the iPad Mini, while the A14 from three years handles the iPad 10th gen and the A13 from 4 years ago is in the iPad 9th gen. 
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Turns out this might be half true. Wccftech’s sources say a newly redesigned A17 will be coming to the standard iPhone 16, but it will be based on the newer N3E process.
    watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Reputation of the source of the rumor aside, something like this makes perfect sense.  

First, let's start with the manufacturing process.  Let's face it, N3B is a bust.  There seems to be zero benefit over the previous N4P in terms performance or efficiency.  Likewise, Apple is going to be pushing to move to N3E when it can.  Further, assuming Apple isn't going to reuse the A17 Pro, any changes, even modest changes requires a redesign and they'd likely be looking at the next manufacturing process for that redesign.  That said, it's very possible that Apple keeps the A17 Pro and uses is in other products such as the Apple TV or a lower end iPad. 

Second, look at the marketing.  Once Apple started using the "pro" naming convention, it's clear that they are telegraphing a future where we have pro and non-pro versions of chips.  Why would Apple do this?  It's not just a matter of having more or less CPU and GPU cores.  Apple may wish to do this while keeping new phones on the latest ISP for cameras, etc.  Even for years like this year, Apple made major design changes to the GPU.  They could bring that same technology, but with fewer cores to a non-pro version of a chip.  

Likewise, I think it makes perfect sense and will bring more consistency to new generation of product than simply reusing last year's chip as they have in the past. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The rumor DOES make sense:

1.  This year's chip for the Pro models is the 18 PRO.  There's no way they'd drop an 18 PRO in the base models next year.  That would be too confusing.

2.  Apple needs to combat perceptions that the base models are just "yesterday's tech."  Instead, watch for a 19 BIONIC in the base models, and a 19 PRO in the pro models.

It makes sense.
    watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,872administrator
    scoodog said:
    The rumor DOES make sense:

1.  This year's chip for the Pro models is the 18 PRO.  There's no way they'd drop an 18 PRO in the base models next year.  That would be too confusing.

2.  Apple needs to combat perceptions that the base models are just "yesterday's tech."  Instead, watch for a 19 BIONIC in the base models, and a 19 PRO in the pro models.

It makes sense.
    18 PRO without a non-Pro makes no sense. I'm guessing, with as much as Pu has to go on, 18 non-pro in 16, and 19 (adjective) in the iPhone 16 Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    This seems similar to having Christmas sales that start in September.  Does anyone care about these rumors this early in the cycle?  They generally seem pretty accurate two to three months before the release.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    …unless Apple markets slightly changed or binned A17 Pro chips as “A18” alongside the A18 Pro. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Technerd108Technerd108 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I agree with most people here that this rumor does make sense and it is about time. 

The past two years using old chips in brand new phone models just doesn't sit well with me. They never did it before and just seemed like a money grab. 

People would never buy a new flagship device with a year old chip. I understand that the vanilla iPhone is not the most premium product but it is still considered a flagship level phone. 

On top of all that when Apple uses the newest chip in all of the models newly released it gives them a serious competitive edge that gets lost if using a year old chip. 

While if Apple uses a new chip in all the phones but has a Pro chip with maybe higher clock frequency, more CPU and GPU cores, and better cooling that would be a lot easier to swallow. People wouldn't feel like they are getting something recycled and old but still getting the latest and greatest. And if you want the max performance of the pro chip you pay for the pro model. Makes a lot more sense this way than the band aid they have been using lately.