Apple's Crash Detection saves another life: mine

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    As someone who is routinely on the road, self-powered, the Apple Watch did not exist on the two valid occasions it would have been helpful in signalling a crash. What did help immensely each time though was my helmet. Hope you have a speedy recovery Daniel.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellerronnradarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 38
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,303member
    Daniel, you are missed on this site and I am so happy to learn you survived this trauma.  Thanks to your AW, and the healthcare system that shepherded your care and recovery, including the first responders who first arrived on the scene.

Thanks Daniel for writing this piece and please hold onto your blood for chrissakes!
    thtwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerronnradarthekattenthousandthingsmarklark
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Thank God and thank Apple!  I prayerfully wish you a speedy recovery.  Reading your articles was always a highlight of my week, and I’m so glad this article had such a great ending. Take care DED!
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellerronnradarthekat
  • Reply 24 of 38
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 231member
    Glad you’re ok - and interesting post. 

But I’ve got to be honest : i’m getting a little tired of these “apple watch saves lives” kind of stories more generally - Imagine if every time a traffic light “saved a life”  there was a big to-do. 

Perhaps it’s time we just all calm down and not make such a big deal about it 
    edited November 2023 darkvadergatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 38
    What a way to test a product!

I think not remembering is normal. Pre-iPhone, I crashed on my bike. I do not remember anything. I remember taking my bike out and then found myself on the road next to a bus stop that was several blocks from my house. My friend took me to ER, but I do not quite remember calling him and I do not remember how I got the bike into his car’s trunk. He said he helped but he also said I did most of it; that is, I removed the wheels to make the bike fit inside the trunk. It has been 30 years and the not remembering part still haunts me. It is like trying to remember a dream. 

Anyway, someone, other than the watch, was watching over you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Take care. 

edited November 2023 watto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 26 of 38
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,659member
    Ditto on the helmet.  Nice fishnet shirt, btw.  B)
  • Reply 27 of 38
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    The helmet mafia is already out in force.  No surprise there, they have some kind of mental disorder that forces them to stick their nose in somebody else's business.

Glad you're ok.  Wear a helmet if you want to, don't if you don't.  It's entirely up to you.
    edited November 2023 marklark
  • Reply 28 of 38
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,263member
    Glad you are ok and recovering. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,065member
    darkvader said:
    The helmet mafia is already out in force.  No surprise there, they have some kind of mental disorder that forces them to stick their nose in somebody else's business.

Glad you're ok.  Wear a helmet if you want to, don't if you don't.  It's entirely up to you.
    Unfortunately it's not "do whatever you want to do." The correct approach is to consult the local laws pertaining to electric scooter operation.

Here in the great State of California, the legislators have not ignored the arrival of electric scooters. The operation of these devices is largely covered in the California Vehicle Code (CVC) in Sections §21221, §21228, §21229, §21235, §22411 (and possibly others).

Note that it is possible for local jurisdictions (county, city) to have additional regulations concerning operation. Those can be more restrictive -- but not less restrictive -- than the state laws.

Oftentimes local laws are more restrictive in certain high-pedestrian traffic areas (e.g., downtown, tourist sectors), particularly where children and older citizens may have a higher presence.

Here one recap of electric scooter operation law in California:

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/laws/7-important-e-scooter-laws-you-should-in-california/

Curiously, all electric scooter operators were required by existing CVC law to wear a helmet until 2019 when new electric-scooter-specific laws allowed for helmet-free operation (for adults). So most of the tickets given prior to 2019 were for helmet law violations. Minors are still required to wear helmets here in California.

There has been an uptick in scooter injuries and deaths in San Francisco during the pandemic which will likely lead to more restrictions in the future:

https://sfstandard.com/2023/07/21/electric-scooter-deaths-injuries-increase-since-pandemic/

This might mean a return to mandatory helmet usage so electric scooter operators in California (and elsewhere) really need to keep up to date on current regulations. Ignorance is not a valid excuse, for residents nor visitors like Daniel.

I don't recall having ever seen a single electric scooter operator here in California comply with CVC §21228 (Dismount and walk for left hand turns). Pretty much every rider seems to violate this onerous regulation.

The author did not specify what municipality the accident took place. Anyhow, he is lucky to have escaped more serious injury (or death) this time. Best wishes to Daniel for a speedy recovery.
    edited November 2023 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobraronnXedmarklarkmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Always loved your articles, Daniel, I’m so glad you’re fully recovered!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    First thing I did when I heard of that feature's implementation was turn it on and update my emergency contacts.  It's never activated, but I've never had a false activation, either.

Glad you're on your way to recovery.  Awesome.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 223member
    Harrowing! Best wishes for a speedy recovery! 
  • Reply 33 of 38
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    Your partner is lucky the hospital didn't (incorrectly) invoke HIPAA and refuse to even confirm that your were there, let alone give them information regarding your condition.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Pleased you're OK, if a tad sore.

Good to see a story from you on AI again too - more please.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    darkvader said:

Spoken like a true temporary citizen.

I hope when your head splits open they’re able to collect most of the brain matter… except the part that says dumb crap like this.

I had a motorcycle crash in 2000 and if it wasn’t for my helmet my face would have been ripped off. That was at 30kmph.

In fact the reason I was able to walk away with nothing but a broken wrist was ALL my protective gear.

Any rider not wearing proper protection deserves all they get.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    corp1corp1 Posts: 92member
    Just wanted to add my wishes for recovery as well, and to note that I've always enjoyed your thoughtful and usually highly opinionated articles and Apple advocacy on AppleInsider!!

• Reply 37 of 38
    Dan, from another long time reader, Very glad you are ok or on the way to be OK and that your Apple Watch played its part in helping you when you needed help the most!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Welcome back! I had just discovered you and read your whole backlog when you took your break. Glad to hear that you're ok and thankful to have Apple's #1 evangelist back in the saddle! And how cool that we're on the eve of another new platform shift from Apple in the form of Apple vision Pro! 

I'll be eager to watch it's arrive with you commentating and analyzing!