Apple will pause U.S. Apple Watch sales starting December 21

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Now you wonder if Apple can prove a loss of sales during the time which the product will be withdrawn. That’s going to be a chunk of chance someone won’t want to pay.  Assuming in the end they win their unusual claims. Follow the $$$ find the winners.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Now you wonder if Apple can prove a loss of sales during the time which the product will be withdrawn. That’s going to be a chunk of chance someone won’t want to pay.  Assuming in the end they win their unusual claims. Follow the $$$ find the winners.
    It is a strange move from Apple.  Is that loss a valid argument if Apple withdrew it voluntarily though?  Maybe as someone else mentioned, v10 is close, and doesn't have the same issues.  
    edited December 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    VirnetX redux.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    I wonder if this would affect existing users ?  Would they push an update to disable the feature on our watches ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    This is about nothing more than money. And I don’t  just mean Masimo.  Their market cap is 6 billion. Apple’s is 3 trillion.  Right now Apple feels it’s cheaper and easier to announce they’re going to comply with the order and fight it in the courts. If necessary, they’ll simply buy the company outright.  Announcing they are actually going to stop selling the latest. Apple Watch is a brilliant move.  The Biden administration can use any win it can get right now. They’ll probably make a big deal of announcing they saved Christmas or something.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    sdw2001 said:
    This is about nothing more than money. And I don’t  just mean Masimo.  Their market cap is 6 billion. Apple’s is 3 trillion.  Right now Apple feels it’s cheaper and easier to announce they’re going to comply with the order and fight it in the courts. If necessary, they’ll simply buy the company outright.  Announcing they are actually going to stop selling the latest. Apple Watch is a brilliant move.  The Biden administration can use any win it can get right now. They’ll probably make a big deal of announcing they saved Christmas or something.  
    Apple is a real bully. Apple + Masimo met for partnership/acquisition talks but Apple had a secret plan (Project Everest) to steal the tech without paying. They even recruited 20 of Masimo’s team, doubling their salaries…. Apple paid their CTO $4M to come over, and in his 1st 2 weeks he filed 12 patents for sensors at Apple that were Masimo trade secrets… the worst part is that Apple fumbled the ball and the product doesn’t really work and Apple didn’t get FDA approval like Masimo did.

Joe Kiani, the immigrant electrical engineer CEO of Masimo seems to be fighting this as a vendetta - he’s spent >$60M fighting Apple so far & preliminarily seems to have won… most companies would not keep fighting.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 27 of 29
    sdw2001 said:
    Apple is a real bully. Apple + Masimo met for partnership/acquisition talks but Apple had a secret plan (Project Everest) to steal the tech without paying. They even recruited 20 of Masimo’s team, doubling their salaries…. Apple paid their CTO $4M to come over, and in his 1st 2 weeks he filed 12 patents for sensors at Apple that were Masimo trade secrets… the worst part is that Apple fumbled the ball and the product doesn’t really work and Apple didn’t get FDA approval like Masimo did.

Joe Kiani, the immigrant electrical engineer CEO of Masimo seems to be fighting this as a vendetta - he’s spent >$60M fighting Apple so far & preliminarily seems to have won… most companies would not keep fighting.
    I see you have posted this exact post on at least two threads, do you have a vested interest at all?

Or do you have some way of proving what you’ve said?

Even if relevant, there is every possibility that the Masimo CEO saw dollar signs at Apple being interested and was trying to be too greedy.. without being a part of what happened there is no way we can ever truly know.

One thing is for certain there are many smaller companies that try to ride the tails of successful ones to make their own business work.  Big successful companies are not automatically the bully in every case.
    edited December 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,865administrator
    sdw2001 said:

Six out of seven jurors agreed in court that Apple was in the right. Most of Masimo's patents have been ruled invalid. It certainly isn't the victory that Masimo wanted, and they still have to deal with Apple's suit about the W1's alleged design and technical patent infringements.

We'll see how this plays out.
    edited December 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    ranyw said:
    I wonder if this would affect existing users ?  Would they push an update to disable the feature on our watches ?
    Gods, I hope not.  As others have said on other discussions, if that happens, it will be a while before I apply anymore updates to my watch.  I assume that Apple can differentiate watches purchased before the "ban date" when applying an update, but I have to wonder if they would bother.