Latest macOS Sonoma update is breaking some USB hubs in monitors

Posted:
in macOS

According to some scattered user reports, updating macOS to Sonoma 14.4 is causing some USB hubs embedded in monitors to stop working and there doesn't seem to be a clear fix.

Colorful abstract wallpaper with the text 'macOS Sonoma' prominently displayed in the center.
macOS Sonoma 14.4 update breaks USB monitor hubs

On Tuesday, AppleInsider reader Matt wrote to alert us that after updating his MacBook to macOS Sonoma 14.4, his monitor's USB hub no longer works. As it turns out, Matt isn't the only one with this problem.

Reddit threads show that users seem to have the problem on Dell, Samsung, and Gigabyte monitors so far. While the problem seems to mostly affect the USB hubs in monitors, a few users have reported that the update has caused some monitors as a whole to become unresponsive.

More reports have also been found on X, formerly Twitter.

Love that macOS 14.4 has completely killed the use of my display KVM. Just not picking up any USB devices plugged into my monitor (or even that my monitor is a USB hub too).

-- Rhys Morgan (@rhysmorgan)

There's no fix that seems to work for all users. However, a few have found luck by completely powering down their monitors and restarting them, or re-enabling the "allow accessories to connect" prompt in system settings.

How to allow accessories to connect on macOS 14.4

• Open Settings

• Click Privacy & Security

• Click Allow accessories to connect
AppleInsider

was not able to duplicate the problem with Apple and LG monitors that rely on USB-C or Thunderbolt connections. The problem does not seem to extend to standalone hubs either. It's not clear what the commonalities are between reports.

For the time being, if you rely on a USB hub in a monitor, it may be wise to wait to update if you haven't already. The update in question was released on March 7.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,101member
    MacOS Sonoma has been the worst MacOS release for Intel-based machines ever.  I'm still on MacOS 14.2 because each point-release update has result in bricking my 2020 iMac and my having to reinstall MacOS, and only with a USB install drive.  Headlines like these makes me wonder if Apple has abandoned any real QC checks with Intel machines.  For the first time ever, I'm seriously considering downgrading my iMac to macOS Monterey as it was completely stable.

It's a disgrace in my book.  Apple really dropped the ball here.
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73Alex1N9secondkox2pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sflocal said:
    MacOS Sonoma has been the worst MacOS release for Intel-based machines ever.  I'm still on MacOS 14.2 because each point-release update has result in bricking my 2020 iMac and my having to reinstall MacOS, and only with a USB install drive.  Headlines like these makes me wonder if Apple has abandoned any real QC checks with Intel machines.  For the first time ever, I'm seriously considering downgrading my iMac to macOS Monterey as it was completely stable.

I would guess Intel machines are considered legacy now for Apple. Even though they never say this out loud, various comments when the first M3 machines were released were speaking a clear language - get off of Intel. So in the list of priorities it falls down fast.

Last but not least, Apple moved from making 'insanely great' products to 'making money' as their internal priority (aka Apple has become 'insanely boring' these days). With 'iPhone growth' having reached it's natural ceiling (aka there are just not enough people with enough money on hand), it boils down to saving money, by reducing legacy support (Intel), by dropping innovative technologies  (MicroLED, Car), by filching customers (subscription models, ad's galore in the App Store, that everybody is forced to use, etc).

The bean-counter CEO Tim Cook has run out of ideas that remained from the Steve Jobs area and goes the way of others (like Boeing sacrificing quality on the altar of shareholder value).

Yes there is the Vision Pro thingy, but that likely takes years to take off (if ever) ... then again it's introduction was proof of my thesis. There is simply no 'killer app' for that thing and it's introduction was very boring, no 'oh wow' moment like we had several on the introductions of the first iPod or the first iPhone. I have serious doubts about Apple's innovation machine these days and certainly hope the next CEO will be a product guy again instead of a bean counter.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 14
    My dock now has devices falling off it like trained acrobats.

It's a powered OWC dock. It now can't support all the devices connected it to it for two years complaining of a lack of power.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I have a LG 40WP95C-W connected to my Mac Studio via Thunderbolt.  I’ve been using the LG’s two USB ports for Logitech RF dongles.  These stopped working after the Sonoma update.  I unplugged them, then plugged them back in, power cycled the monitor and rebooted the Studio and they worked again.
    MacProkillroyAlex1Npulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    sflocal said:

Yes, there comes a time on every older Mac when you realize there is an OS that is the most stable for any given machine, and it is rarely the latest possible. I have a collection (I actually use them regularly) of Macs, from a Mac Plus SE through G3 to many Intel machines, all alongside my M2 Mac Studio Ultra.  In some cases, I partition a drive and have two versions, as with my 2013 Mac Pro; in that case, it has to do with software compatibility more than hardware.  I don't think you can blame Apple (bugs aside); Intel is definitely in the rearview mirror. My wife now has my 2019 27" iMac with the i9 and 64 GB RAM and the top-end GPU, and she uses it for Mail, Safari, and playing Bridge on Line!  It's heartbreaking really, lol.
    edited March 13 Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 14
    nrg2nrg2 Posts: 18member
    sflocal said:

I’m running a 2019 MacBook Pro and have had zero issues with Sonoma. And I’ve been running Sonoma since the 14.0 beta’s. Haven’t done a fresh install on the system in years. 
    coolfactorAlex1Npulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,262member

Is Sonoma 14.4 actually "breaking" these devices, or the devices just no longer work with Sonoma? Big difference. Accurate reporting is important.

I've noticed that with 14.4, I was no longer able to launch an Intel app from an external drive. That was my only minor inconvenience, as copying the app to the internal drive allowed it to launch normally.

Increased security checks?

killroyAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,262member

sflocal said:

Sorry to hear about your woes. Keep in mind that your experience might not be global for everyone. If you're experiencing "bricking" with "each" release, it sounds more like a hardware issue, or you have some uncommon kexts (kernel extensions) installed that don't survive an in-place upgrade?

nrg2killroyAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 14
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    My dock now has devices falling off it like trained acrobats.

It's a powered OWC dock. It now can't support all the devices connected it to it for two years complaining of a lack of power.

Did you check to see if there's a firmware update?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Anyone try the full download 13.62 GB to see if that works.

• Reply 11 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,070member

Is Sonoma 14.4 actually "breaking" these devices, or the devices just no longer work with Sonoma? Big difference. Accurate reporting is important.

Do you think Joe Consumer really cares? If it doesn't work, that's on Apple. They are supposed to do software QA reviews before they release new operating systems to the public.

Just to point out, if these devices still work with Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, etc., that seems to put the blame on Apple.

This is why I delay upgrading my Apple devices until Q2 the following year. That's right, I'm still on Ventura on my two Macs as well as the previous OS for my iPhones and iPad.

And this year will be different. I am delaying all OS upgrades until early June, just before WWDC. That pretty much guarantees that I will get a mature operating system.

To clarify: I am happy with Apple's hardware and its software ONCE THEY WORK. However this moment no longer exists in September/October. And it hasn't for YEARS.
    edited March 13 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 14
    nrg2 said:
    sflocal said:

I’m running a 2019 MacBook Pro and have had zero issues with Sonoma. And I’ve been running Sonoma since the 14.0 beta’s. Haven’t done a fresh install on the system in years. 
    Same. Though I wonder when will Apple stop supporting Intel Macs with Software updates? 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    nrg2 said:
    sflocal said:

Same. Though I wonder when will Apple stop supporting Intel Macs with Software updates? 

This from Apple. 

By the way I'm on a 2019 Mac Pro OS 14.4 and have no problems with any ports.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Sonoma 14.4 broke my Paralles Desktop VM. A BSOD appeared after update and I couldn’t return my VM back to life. Installing a new one from the scratch has also returned BSOD. The error message says something about driver incompatibility. 
    MBP 16, M1 Pro. 
    edited March 15