What is the age of the universe? ? Ahh Good Question!!!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Some great websites / weblink lists to get lost in learning over this issue of cosmology:

allacademic.com

physicsweb.org

space-time.info

Cornell Theory Center

Physical Sciences Information Gateway

SciTecLibrary.com

Scirus.com

All worth a Bookmark!

Fellowship

Yes that's all very good but you still haven't given us YOUR views of the previous link you submitted to us.

Bah, you remind me of the Bad Religion album titled "No Substance."
  • Reply 62 of 75
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Yes that's all very good but you still haven't given us YOUR views of the previous link you submitted to us. How about YOU tell us what YOU think for once?

Xenu may not have said it in the nicest way but he's fundamentally right about you.

BR I was asking a question to Outsider concerning constants or rather if some things are indeed constant or not. It is up in the air really depending on who you ask. I was curious as to what Outsider thought in particular.

Why don't you either join in with your own opinions or questions or BUZZ OFF! Go babysit some other AI member for a change. You are so immature with your ranting over my dialogue here on the boards. Get something to do with yourself.

Fellowship
  • Reply 63 of 75
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

BR I was asking a question to Outsider concerning constants or rather if some things are indeed constant or not. It is up in the air really depending on who you ask. I was curious as to what Outsider thought in particular.

Why don't you either join in with your own opinions or questions or BUZZ OFF! Go babysit some other AI member for a change. You are so immature with your ranting over my dialogue here on the boards. Get something to do with yourself.

Fellowship

once you convince yourself

the universe falls into place

you've got your ideas

and your posse of friends

you all make up rules

and the fun never ends

but still there's a problem, leaves you gasping for air

you look for some meaning, blank smiles are all that's there

and still water stales a soft summer breeze

you cling to your hopes while you drop to your knees

there's no substance!(2x)
  • Reply 64 of 75
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The Universe is older than the answers, and younger than the questions.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    Regarding a previous post about a supposed Universe boundary, well there's a virtual one. There is a distance at which we will never see further. As shown by Hubble's law, the farther an object is from us, the faster it moves away due to the expansion. At some distance that speed becomes higher than lightspeed, and there goes our chances to see anything coming from this part of the Universe. But why bother: the Universe is EVERYTHING by definition, so a boundary has no sense . An infinite but still expanding universe is plausible, and probably right. Some inifinites are bigger than others. Mathematics can justify so many absurd statements!

The reason we see quasars from the farthest (and oldest) parts of the universe is mainly because they are the only things bright enough to be visible. Those are very active galaxies that emit tons of radiation by God knows what processes. Probably black holes but we're not even sure of that. Black holes are not yet well defined, since they rely both on General Relativity and the Standard Model, two incompatible theories as of today.

My cosmology class is far away in my memory, but I think the problem with some stars being older than the actual Universe was mostly solved by the Inflationary Universe Theory.

At last, my own opinion on the age of the universe: It's around 15 billion years, no matter what any religious text might say. The Bible should never be taken litterally: Jesus always taught using parables, so why wouldn't God himself romanticize what really happened to tell us his message? Assuming God exists...

Now I need some sleep!
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matlock

Regarding a previous post about a supposed Universe boundary.

An infinite but still expanding universe is plausible, and probably right. Some inifinites are bigger than others.

What? That does not compute

Fellows
  • Reply 67 of 75
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    <yoda> look as good when 13.2 Billion Years old are you, hmmm? </yoda>
  • Reply 68 of 75
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

What do you think about the findings in "This Link"

Just more to make things interesting with this issue.

Fellows

Um, I think with the passing of huge amounts of time that constants like the speed of light can change. Space changes with time however, the older the universe gets the less dense (atoms actually have to become bigger to continue to be atoms" space will be given that Omega(another constant) stays the same. But we are talking about a scale of 10^32 years. It's theorized that even protons will decay by that time because of something called quantum tunneling. The expanding universe will probably be affected by the expansion of space-time. But we don't even know if we are in a closed universe or an open one.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    Quote:

What? That does not compute

Fellows

Hehe, I know it's not easy to grasp. Let's take as an example integer numbers and numbers with deicmals (real numbers). While there is both an infinity of each, we can say that the real group is bigger than the integer group. Why? Going between 1 and 2 in the integers, you have only 2 elements, 1 and 2. In the real numbers, you've got 1, 1.1, 1.01, 1.001, 1.011, and on and on... Therefore for every element in the integer group, you have an infinite number of them in the real group. The infinite number of real numbers can then be said to be a bigger infinite than for integers. A similar argument applies for the universe. We can't mesure its actual size, but we may use a scale factor. We define that the present size is 1 unit (that unit might be infinitely big), and after a certain time, due to expansion, it has become 1.2 for instance. That mean that the distance between 2 points would be after that same time 1.2 time what it was before. The scale of the universe has changed, it got larger in a way, but its size is still, well, infinite. But a bigger infinite. Only the ratio between the two sizes could be really mesured: n divided by 2*n is 1/2, even if n is infinite!

Hope that helped. Enough maths, this is summer, my brain, and yours, shouldn't have to go through this until a few months...
  • Reply 70 of 75
    A little more on the idea of one infinity being larger than another:

Georg Cantor's Aleph
  • Reply 71 of 75
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Of course Alcimedes is right. Everyone especially FCiB needs to read hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy now!!! And don't forget to bring a towel!

pfflam you are awesome. My view is that either the universe will decay into a bunch of grey matter at the same temperature due to entropy, or suck back in then have another Big Bang. I would think these two theories are mutually exclusive. I never thought of this before now! What is right: entropy, or the reoccurring Big Bang theory where everything gets sucked in and spit back out in an infinite loop of Big Bangs?

Either way we have to fight the destruction of the Universe?

Let's get started: first things first, conserve energy and don't buy a PC.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

...all this against the complete expansion to nullity.

I remember joking with my physics teacher in high school that the universe might be just one particle short of closure, and that humanity's job might be to create that one particle.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matlock

Hehe, I know it's not easy to grasp. Let's take as an example integer numbers and numbers with deicmals (real numbers). While there is both an infinity of each, we can say that the real group is bigger than the integer group. Why? Going between 1 and 2 in the integers, you have only 2 elements, 1 and 2. In the real numbers, you've got 1, 1.1, 1.01, 1.001, 1.011, and on and on... Therefore for every element in the integer group, you have an infinite number of them in the real group. The infinite number of real numbers can then be said to be a bigger infinite than for integers. A similar argument applies for the universe. We can't mesure its actual size, but we may use a scale factor. We define that the present size is 1 unit (that unit might be infinitely big), and after a certain time, due to expansion, it has become 1.2 for instance. That mean that the distance between 2 points would be after that same time 1.2 time what it was before. The scale of the universe has changed, it got larger in a way, but its size is still, well, infinite. But a bigger infinite. Only the ratio between the two sizes could be really mesured: n divided by 2*n is 1/2, even if n is infinite!

Hope that helped. Enough maths, this is summer, my brain, and yours, shouldn't have to go through this until a few months...

Greetings

You bring up the resolution of the matter however I still would have to think that infinity is infinity no matter how you slice it.

Fellowship
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:

You bring up the resolution of the matter however I still would have to think that infinity is infinity no matter how you slice it.

Why would you have to think something that simply isn't true?. Cantor proved (see the link that I posted) that the infinity of integers is smaller than the infinity of real numbers, because no matter how you try to map each member of the set of integers N to each member of the set of real numbers R, there will remain unmatched members in R.

This is not proof (because failing to imagine a match that works is not the same as proving that no exhaustive matching exists), but it will give you a feel for the problem:

Consider mapping the value 0 in N to the value 0 in R, and then, for the rest of N, map n in N to 1/n in R. Not only do the integers only cover the measley range [-1, 1], but they do so very porously, because no irrational numbers are mapped, leaving an unmapped infinity of members between each and every mapped member of R.