Just saw new iPod commercial

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Wow, I really set people off.

As a musician I just really hate hip hop and am continually dismayed by its seemingly endless influence on pop culture. And no it's not a "black thing". I'm a "card-carrying member of the ACLU" and adore 20th century black music. It's just that lately it's fallen off a cliff.

But, a ray of hope!

"Meanwhile, one whisper tells us to pay attention to one of the next episodes of Friends for the next iPod ad... which is described as a bit more rockin'."
  • Reply 42 of 52
    I LOVE everything about this ad including the music. Maybe Apple wants to expand their advertising to reach out to a younger audience versus a bunch of middle aged white men (ie that gross guy singing Pink Floyd in the old iPod commercials) by playing old rock songs. I listen to many different kinds of music and while I don't hate hip hop, a lot of it isn't something I'd listen to frequently. I think they chose a good song. It makes the commerical feel stylish and trendy. The song makes me want to dance!
  • Reply 43 of 52
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The more I see this commercial, the more I like it. Actually, I never disliked it (that was someone else bitching upthread).

I've seen it twice on TV now and it definitely jumps off the TV at you, with the colors, the wiggling silhouettes and the music. I was in a room of people watching the Cubs beat up on the Marlins and when the commercial came on everyone kinda stopped and watched...and I was the only Mac geek in the bunch, so...

• Reply 44 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wolfeye155

I LOVE everything about this ad including the music. Maybe Apple wants to expand their advertising to reach out to a younger audience versus a bunch of middle aged white men (ie that gross guy singing Pink Floyd in the old iPod commercials) by playing old rock songs. I listen to many different kinds of music and while I don't hate hip hop, a lot of it isn't something I'd listen to frequently. I think they chose a good song. It makes the commerical feel stylish and trendy. The song makes me want to dance!

If I recall, he was singing The Who's My Generation, and his fake name was Floyd...
  • Reply 45 of 52
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wolfeye155

Actually, I know a lot of younger people who are in to old rock. Ok, they're all band geeks, so they definitely don't represent the people Apple probably wants to attract. But then again, they are probably more willing to try something new, like a Mac, than most people that age.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Once again, give me a break. IT's not using the "race card" to point out the discrepancy between what these Armchair Executives complained about in Apple's advertising 12 months ago, vs. what they're bitching about today.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other ads in this campaign. I've already seen an "extended," I guess, version of the Black Eyed Peas ad. Hip hop isn't even my favorite kind of music so I certainly won't mind to see more variety in the ads. Making generic ads that talk to everyone, as someone suggested earlier in the thread, does absolutely nothing for anyone. Making a series of very targeted ads is a much better idea, and I feel pretty sure that's what we'll see here.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think a rock ad would definitely be good, maybe Smashing Pumpkins.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Think they'd do one featuring a band that doesn't even exist (Pumpkins still don't exist, right?).

May as well have the Bay City Rollers in it.

(ducks)
  • Reply 49 of 52
    This is more like it.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    WORSE. AIR DRUMS. EVER.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Meh to both ads..heh.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I'm totally liking the second one a lot. Maybe it's because I'm into pop-y rpck and roll, and Apple, and I love the silhouette style.