PC equivalent of Mac files?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I need someone here who has used windows before...

Out of curiosity, what ARE the pc equivalent of mac files?

For example, what would sit be? dmg? rtf?

If you could, list all the ones you can think of...

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    .sit would be .zip (which can also be decompressed on Macs).
  • Reply 2 of 61
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    .dmg... oooh, good question. Any Windows users care to share what Windows has that compares to disk images?

.rtf... Well, .rtf, of course. Rich Text Format. Early attempt at standardizing a data format for text - Word 1.0 used it as *the* format. All Word variants can still read it.

In general, unless it is an Apple created format (like .dmg), it's going to be the *same* format on Windows. Gotta love open standards.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Window Disk-imaging is pretty weak from my experience.

there is one program called Daemon tools, that makes and mounts virtual images, but I don't recall their extension(!)
  • Reply 4 of 61
    What about hqx or gz?
  • Reply 5 of 61
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    gz would be zip again I believe.

I think hqx is another type of Stuffit compressed file, so I guess I'd say zip again
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

What about hqx or gz?

HQX is the BinHex format that is often used by Aladdin's Stuffit compression software. It's a way of packing up a multi-forked Mac file for sharing over the internet. Additional information from Natural Innovations:

Quote:

BinHex encoding converts an 8-bit file into a 7-bit format, similar to uuencoding. BinHex format preserves file attributes, as well as Macintosh resource forks, and includes CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error-checking. This encoding method works on any type of file, including formatted word processing and spreadsheet files, graphics files, and even executable files (i.e. programs or applications). The encoded file can also be passed from computer to computer in its encoded form. The encoding will remain intact and it will be equally meaningless on all the machines until it is unencoded. To be usable or readable it must be converted back to its original format and be run on a compatible computer.

GZ is a widely used format in the Unix and Linux world. It's GZip compression and the utilities for it are open-sourced.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Stuffit is dead, Apple uses zip for compression in panther (and dmg compression).

Perhaps .iso = .dmg, maybe?

also .exe = .app

maybe .ini = .plist
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Perhaps .iso = .dmg, maybe?

Yup, that would be the closest match. Another could be .bin/.cue files.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Mac programs are generally distributed as .pkg installer files in .dmg disk images, sometimes compressed with .zip (or .sit, which is dying fast).

PC programs are generally distributed as installer applications or .msi installer files, sometimes compressed with .zip.

To send images of CDs and what have you drives, the most common format (by far) is .iso. Apart from that (and .bin/.cue as Brad mentioned), .img files (same as the ones in Mac OS 9) are used for images.

.rtf is common to both platforms.

chych, .info on Mac OS X is equilvent to .ini files. .plist files are equivelent to the Windows registry. Actually, they are the same format (XML Property List), just different extensions and different purposes.

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:

I need someone here who has used windows before...

Out of curiosity, what ARE the pc equivalent of mac files?

For example, what would sit be? dmg? rtf?

If you could, list all the ones you can think of...

Thanks

.sit is a stuffit file (compressed archive), which has the same extention on pc and a mac...

.zip is a zip file (compressed archive), which has the same extention on pc and a mac...

.gz is UNIX flavored compressed archive file which has the same extention on pc and a mac...

.dmg is a Macintosh disk image... only on a Mac(?) I believe thge PC has similar flavors

.ai .psd .pdf are Adobe formats

essentially, most files that have an extension on a Mac use either the same extension on a PC or similar... .gif .jpg .png

.doc is word

.rtf is Rich Text

.tif is a Tagged Image File Format (tiff)

Jb
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Oh yeah, I stumbled across this one last night.

.cwk is clarisworks, or rather appleworks format, if someone sends you one, yell at them because it stinks

(I'd much rather use text edit to view all my text documents)
  • Reply 12 of 61
    [confusion]What exactly is a disk image?[/confusion]
  • Reply 13 of 61
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Note : fixed a typo error
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

an image of a disk...

when mounted behaves as a CD or other drive
  • Reply 15 of 61
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

like grapegraphics said, an image of a disk. its a file, that when you open it (used to be opened in disk utility, now i think its done in the background by the finder or something), you get a disc on your desktop and in the list of disks. you can make them of various sizes. useful for creating cd-r/-rw's, or dvd-r/-rw/+r/+rw/-ram/+ram's. you create the disk image, put all your files on it, then tell disk utility to burn it. its restricts you to use exactly the amount of space required for your media (and you can make disk images of any size). and, its compressed, so its not really taking up the full size (not sure of that actually). you may have noticed some programs distributed on the net come as disk images.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Can I get a response from someone from Windows? (Sorry, but all the mac names and programs are just confusing me more)
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:

Can I get a response from someone from Windows? (Sorry, but all the mac names and programs are just confusing me more)

A disk image could be compared to a combination of a .iso and .zip file on windows, although DMGs are much more practical. Here, I'll illustrate with screenshots:

First, you download a .dmg file from the internet. Most OS X applications are distributed as .dmg files.

When you double click on that file, it creates a "virtual folder" on the desktop, which in this case is the icon that looks like a Hard Drive with the Omni logo on it. This "virtual folder" is referred to as the "mounted image."

When you double click on the mounted image, a finder window opens, displaying the contents of the mounted image. In this case, it is the OmniWeb application.

After you have copied whatever contents you want from the .dmg, you click the eject button next to the mounted image's name in the finder. (You can also just drag the icon to the trash)

This "unmounts" the disc image, and leaves you only with the original .dmg file.

Hope that helps!
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Ok, that explains alot. But what would that do in windows? How would you make one?
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:

Ok, that explains alot. But what would that do in windows? How would you make one?

There's really not a program in Windows to do anything like a .dmg. In OS X, to make one, you open Disk Utility, and there is a toolbar item to "New Image."

Clicking it brings up this dialog:

You type in a filename, choose a location, and press Create. Then, you are free to drag-and-drop whatever files you want into your newly-created Disk Image.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Very nice illustrated tutorial of how disk images work!

Hey guys, are .aiff's considered to be a Mac file format? I think they are. (They're a sound file by the by)