How much music is on your computer?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I only have 3.06 GB on mine. But I have yet to rip all my CDs. I might someday. If I were to rip all of them, I would be pushing 50gb.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    20.51Gb, I just get into the 4th category.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    4942 songs, 15:00:20:55 total time, 19.93 GB

30 gig iPod

99.29% legal. Hopefully 100% legal as soon as iTunes music store hits Europe.

I said I had 20 - 30 GB in the poll, as my next CD will take me over the 20 GB point and I buy new stuff pretty regularly.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I have 11GB on my Mac and i have the biggest iPod (well when i bought it, 30GB) I use it for data backup, it's very cool, i just can't wait for the home-on-ipod feature. This will make the iPod even more amazing. ( i know it isn't related by hey)
  • Reply 25 of 47
    54.28 GB - m4a

158.46 GB - mp3
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeafeningSilence

54.28 GB - m4a

158.46 GB - mp3

And how many of those are good? Isn't is quite an excessive number? You must own (or steal) a lot of music
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

And how many of those are good? Isn't is quite an excessive number? You must own (or steal) a lot of music

No, it's not excessive, especially since I rip at the highest possible bit-rates.

Nothing in my collection is there randomly. However due to a multi-ethnic upbringing my tastes tend to be broad and include mid-century jazz, blues, R&B, soul & urban, synth pop & new wave, gothic, & industrial. Some people's taste tends to be quite narrow, or formed only by what they listen to with their immediate peers. That's fine, but that's not me.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeafeningSilence

No, it's not excessive, especially since I rip at the highest possible bit-rates.

Perhaps we should rate the number of hours/days/weeks/months of music rather than GBs?

15215 songs, 40.7 days.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Perhaps we should rate the number of hours/days/weeks/months of music rather than GBs?

15215 songs, 40.7 days.

good idea
  • Reply 30 of 47
    390 Artists

1,179 songa

3:05:33:25 total time

4.92 GB's
  • Reply 31 of 47
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    3336 songs, 10.6 days, 16.91 GB, 10GB iPod

Screed
  • Reply 32 of 47
    180GB of music from about 400 CDs and iTunes music store, and all legal.

Almost all of my music is in source AIFF format. I have a very high end audio system hooked to my G5 and a very discerning ear. Ya I'm a freak and found that for most of my music I could actual hear the difference between AAC, MP3 files and the source AIFF from the CD.

So I stick with the source AIFF files when I can.

But if they were all 320kbps AAC files then this amount of audio would be reduced to about 45GB.

- G in the S
  • Reply 33 of 47
    I have a wide taste in music but i just can;t afford to buy that many CDs, but then i'm only 17 so i haven't been around that long!
  • Reply 34 of 47
    I feel slightly ashamed of my collection now...

14.24GB

3329 songs

9.8 days

There's some legit ones in there somewhere... Well, I'd actually say that a couple of GB ones are legal. The problem is:

1) student, so not too much money. Plus what I have tends to get spent on hardware...

2) I refuse to spend more than about £5 on a CD...

3) I dislike busy music stores

Give me time, though - I'm still a teen (just!), and I went through a wierd phase when I was younger of not really liking any music at all. I aim to go legit at some point...
  • Reply 35 of 47
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Don't feel guilty! You're just posting among some freaks of nature, that's all.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    i also aim to go totally legit, and, now that i have a job, i'll be able to, but i'm only 16, so give me time...
  • Reply 37 of 47
    3132 songs, 7.9 days, 14.73 gb.

still have some cds to rip.

now for the big decision: do i get a 20gb ipod (cos it will fit), or a 40gb ipod (cos im only going to get more music).

i guess if i ended up with too much music i could always get the 20 and then later get an external drive for the rest of my music. im pretty surprised at how cheap external firewire drives are becoming.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by heavymetal

im pretty surprised at how cheap external firewire drives are becoming.

ditto
  • Reply 39 of 47
    oh, either get the 40, or a 30 from ebay or sumthing
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

i also aim to go totally legit, and, now that i have a job, i'll be able to, but i'm only 16, so give me time...

don't waste your money getting legit CDs, just buy new ones that you haven't got, no-one cares if you copy a CD from a friend etc.