How much RAM is enough?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by a_greer

the problem with your windows experiance was probably the proc, was it a celeron? if so it would be eqivelent to a g3 as a Penteum IV is equal to a G5 .i cant say this enough, celeron is a crummy chip, go for athalon it is much cheaper, ands as for dell, the new dell we got last year (the last week floppy drives were included) is amasingly fast i can play quake 3 on the intel graphics chip without a hiccup

256 on windows is good enough for average work (web, email, even c++ compiuleing) just dont open more than like 6 windows and you are good. my box (an old hp) has 384 and it handles LESS than the 256 on a dell

the ram is a verry small peice of the puzzle if I was to order a mac, i would go for the fastest proc, low ram, buy ram on crucial and get 8 gigs for like 200-300$

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

true but how does that answer the question?
  • Reply 42 of 53
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hack4ev3r

quote:

the problem with your windows experiance was probably the proc, was it a celeron? if so it would be eqivelent to a g3 as a Penteum IV is equal to a G5 .i cant say this enough, celeron is a crummy chip, go for athalon it is much cheaper, ands as for dell, the new dell we got last year (the last week floppy drives were included) is amasingly fast i can play quake 3 on the intel graphics chip without a hiccup

256 on windows is good enough for average work (web, email, even c++ compiuleing) just dont open more than like 6 windows and you are good. my box (an old hp) has 384 and it handles LESS than the 256 on a dell

the ram is a verry small peice of the puzzle if I was to order a mac, i would go for the fastest proc, low ram, buy ram on crucial and get 8 gigs for like 200-300$

true but how does that answer the question?

I was ansering a post by staphbaby,

he said:

"...And in my personal experience, XP on 256 is a bit of a nightmare, although this probably wasn't helped by the intel integrated graphics (or the manufacturer, Dell). XP on 512 is pretty reasonable ? but so is OS

X."

i merely tryed to say that a lot of dells come with celerons

and cellerons suck for everything
  • Reply 43 of 53

ans cellerons suck for everything

muhahahaha now you know what i felt before i got a pentium lol
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:

errr, am I missing something? Crucial lists 1G for $429.99...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...R%29&submit=Go
  • Reply 45 of 53
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hack4ev3r

hmm true but programs that run on windows take x2 memory on mac.. take diablo for an example 128 megs on windows 512 on mac and the graphic card also needs high amount.. need for speed on windows 64 mb need for speed on mac 128! you get what im saying? os 9 is about 70% less ram the osx .

I am doing the same things I was doing using OSX 10.3 with 320Mb RAM that I was doing with 80Mb RAM in OS9.

OSX is a RAM hog, and so is Windows XP. More multimedia flashy stuff that makes it look pretty but uses a lot of RAM.

You know what I cant stand? Those damn moving ads on every freaking web page. I dont want dancing smurfs or people moving across my screen while Im trying to read! Is there anyway to disable all this crap?
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Has anyone here ever heard of a company called Powerline?

They make RAM and is sold though a website called Applesonly.

They give a lifeime warranty and the prices ar very good.

They have a 256Mb PC133/100 chip for $65 with free shipping and a free antistatic strap.

This is only a good deal if the RAM is good.

I know everyone says that PC133 is OK to use with my computer, however when i check Apples site my particular model they dont mention that PC133 is OK, only PC100. The model right after mine has PC133 mentioned.

I have a G3iMac 400DV Grape color.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    PC133 Ram should "downshift" to 100mhz if placed in a PC100 slot. So it should work. You could always give google a shot.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

I was ansering a post by staphbaby,

he said:

"...And in my personal experience, XP on 256 is a bit of a nightmare, although this probably wasn't helped by the intel integrated graphics (or the manufacturer, Dell). XP on 512 is pretty reasonable ? but so is OS

X."

and cellerons suck for everything

You may well be right, but the non-Dell 2Ghz Celeron in the next room with 512Mb of memory, a decent mobo, and a non-integrated graphics chip ran very well. These other elements might feed into the performance though.

I knew Celerons were bad for high-bandwidth stuff (games, photoshop etc.). I didn't expect them to be quite so bad for Windows Explorer, Office etc.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    there never seems to be enough ram
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

You know what I cant stand? Those damn moving ads on every freaking web page. I dont want dancing smurfs or people moving across my screen while Im trying to read! Is there anyway to disable all this crap?

See if PithHelmet fits the bill.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18158
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Thanks I just downloaded it. Its worth a try
  • Reply 52 of 53
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    For those who speak a bit of French : Macbidouille

For those who don't, I'll try to translate:

Quote:

Samsung is very big producer of RAM. For rentability reasons, they have decided to reduce their production by 20%. The freed resources will be used to produce Flash memory which is a more lucrative.

Sounds like RAM will be getting even more expensive. I hope memory shortage isn't keeping Apple from releasing new hardware...

edit: here's the link to the original digitimes article:

Digitimes
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Pithhelmet works very well. Too bad it doesnt work in other browsers. i find Netscape and AOL renders pictures a lot faster than safari. Safari really needs a lot of work-it doesnt work very smoothly and has to get some kinks out. I think Apple would have been better off basing Safari on Gecko. I hear Firebird is fast also, I will try it after its out of beta.