G3 Processer upgrade?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am relitivly new to Mac and am wondering if I can put a faster processer into a B&W? I have a 400mhz in now but am wondering if it could be upgraded and if so whare I could get said chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    PowerLogix (www.powerlogix.com) makes a 900 MHz G3 upgrade. It's the best upgrade you can get for your machine. They are $249, and you can probably sell your G3/400 for $30 or $40 to a beige G3 owner. Good upgrade, I haven't used it but a friend has, and he highly recommended it. There are 1 GHz G4 upgrades for the B&W, but they downclock the bus to 66 MHz so they really won't be any better than the G3/900 (especially given the much higher price tag).

If you're going to do that, you might also want to look for a PCI Radeon or PCI Radeon 7000 graphics card. Using a hack you can get Quartz Extreme to run on either of these cards even though they use PCI instead of AGP. The PCI Radeon is less common and more expensive, but it's much better at 3D games. The Radeon 7000 is between the Rage 128 (stock card) and the Radeon. This will run $50-$80.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sweet, thanks now i go shopping.....