List of the best movies for a gift . . . in 16 years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'd throw in something Monty Python, or if that doesn't fly at least something by Gilliam...maybe Brazil or 12 Monkeys.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    Rocky Horror Picture Show

The Meaning of Life

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Ghandi

Tank Girl

Committed

The Hot Chick

The 10 Things I hate About You

The Last Star Fighter

Total Recall

Being John Malkovic

Amadeus

And before she's sixteen how about

The Secret of Nihm

The Secret Garden

The Princess Bride

The Never ending Story

Now the problem is a 16 year old girl isn't going to like all of those movies. I talk to a lot of 16 year old girls and all of the don't like some of them. So be prepared to have her tell you that at least some of these were a waste of money. But if you want to play god and try and anticipate what your girl is going to like, count on no better than a 50% hit rate. The before 16 ones, those one's are a written in stone.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Life is Beautiful

Avalon

I'd also have to add Death of a Salesman, the nice version that, I think it was CBS did with Dustin Hoffmin as Willie and John Malkovic as Biff.

Nick
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Sixteen year old...girl? Start with with what might holds her interest at that age...Molly Ringwald anyone?

1. Pretty in Pink

2. Sixteen Candles

3. The Breakfast Club

4. The Pick-Up Artist

Then get "edgy" and "artistic"

5. Peggy Sue Got Married

6. Heathers

7. Dazed And Confused

8. The Fabulous World Of Amelie

9. Run Lola Run

10. Boys Don't Cry

Others...

Requiem For a Dream - Great anti-drug message (Sid and Nancy's good one too)

Romeo & Juliet (DiCaprio and Danes version)

Rebel Without a Cause - classic teen angst

Thelma & Louise - the female "Easy Rider"

Gilliam? The Fisher King...or Brazil

Don't foist your favorites, testosterone flicks or old flicks at that age unless it will interest her (who knows what male teen idol she'll be swooning over in the near future). They didn't really interest my teen nieces. But they LOVED Molly Ringwald. Can't go wrong with those four...I like them! Some of Audrey Hepburn's films might interest her (Breakfast @ Tiffanys)...but I doubt it...black and white is a turn off...

• Reply 25 of 44
    After fully reading this topic. . .

Don't buy the videos now. The standards and formats will change. In 15 years, there will be something better than DVD's as we know them.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Thanks for all the suggestions

but perhaps I should clarify: the collection would not be for her to enjoy immediatly, but to have and to keep for her life and enjoy over time.

and, I want them to be the BEST as in the GREATEST WORKS OF ART!

That is why they have that "art house" flavor

Besides she will be growing up with two working artists . . . wife=painter and I am a video/installation artist . . . she will be steeped in the stuff

I didn't say that I didn't like the Third Man just that I did not remember seeing it

and though I appreciate the French movies that you listed I don't think they are up to snuff (The 400 blows coming closest though) Hopefully by the time I start amassing a collection Godard's full multi-volume, L'Histoire Du Cinema will be out . . . that is amazing

the Gilliam crossed my mind: I do love Brazil to no end and it did sort of set a standard of a kind . . .

And of Python I should have automatically inserted The Meaning Of Life . . . because it exemplifies why I thought of this gift idea

Jaws?!?!? it is good for what it is . . it defines the standard and manipulates us magnificently in ways that, if they weren't allready cliches, became cliches from emmulation . . . but that's best if the collection were about film history as in a film history class . . . I like to think about it like giving great books so she can immerse, enjoy and grow with them . ..
  • Reply 27 of 44
    oh yeah . . Scott, thanks for that Ebert list it reminded me of the Apu Trilogy

another endless foreign arty film . . . but really, a masterpiece
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Really nice idea pfflam.

I'd have thought Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" would almost have to be included. And something by Dziga Vertov (I think that's who I'm thinking of - doco style, lots of editing with juxtaposed images, influenced Hitchcock?) If I've got the right Soviet film maker, his stuff is just brilliant.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Ok. Woody Allen.

Annie Hall

Sleeper

Love and Death

...er... Manhattan?

• Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

and, I want them to be the BEST as in the GREATEST WORKS OF ART!

Ah, OK, that's easy then.

Barbarella.

...or Lawrence of Arabia.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    ...or A Clockwork Orange.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    oooh yeah . . Kiarostami. good idea

can't say I much like Kiezlowski though . . .
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Singing in the Rain: wonderful dancing and choreography. Not to mention, it provides a brief film-history lesson in the transitioning to talkies.

Wonderful idea.

May I suggest another? Provide a second boxed of sixteen films: one that you feel is the best in each year of her life. This way it provides a bit of history during her lifetime--and not imply that only good films were made before she was born.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    No offense, but you're gonna damn near bore this girl to death with these movies. I think the best course of action is to wait some 15 years, strangely enough not all people share the same interests you do, for better or for worse.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Hi pfflam -

Well. Speaking as a female, I have to say that females like

(yep, you guessed it) CHICK FLICKS!!!!!

You know - those movies you guys just HATE!!!

I remember showing my 8th grade classes (age 14) Ivanhoe, with (I think) Anthony Andrews. The girls came up to sit on the floor so they could be close to the screen to scope out the 'hero' more minutely. heh.

They like movies with cute guys in them.

They like romances.

Ivanhoe had knights and castles, gallant (and cute) guys.

Girls in long flowing dresses, with long flowing hair.

And they like current-time versions of the same story.

I personally think Ten Things I Hate About You is a classic teen film - based on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew.

I think your idea of the greatest films is wonderful.

I would just suggest that you collect several sets of films.

A set of the Disney classics such as Cinderella, Snow White, etc. A set of teen-type films like Footloose, Ten Things, etc. A set of films women in their 20's and up like, such as Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, Last of the Mohicans (Day-Lewis version), Gross Anatomy (with Matthew Modine), Pride and Prejudice (mini-series), The Scarlet Pimpernel (Anthony Andrews again), etc. etc. etc......

These aren't the greatest films of all time, but they are well-loved films - well-loved by females. And there are LOTS more.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, if she were a boy then I'd say you'd have to include Field of Dreams...although you really don't appreciate that until your Dad is older or gone.

What fun to have artists as parents! My own parents encouraged my artistic abilities but they couldn't pass along techniques, that would have been valuable AND limiting....you understand that. Good luck on not trying to influence her with your own ideas and prejudices (it's impossible). But do give her some wiggle room and don't barf if she does like "Gone With The Wind".....Carol's already told us that a lot of girls like period romances~

I just realized that "Contact" is a much grander version of "Field of Dreams"......."if you build it, he will come". Wow...how about that. There you go, a chick version of Field for your little girl.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Hrm... movies that might hold up after 16 years... for a teenage girl.. Here's a few to add to the list of possibles:

Forrest Gump

Rushmore

Muriel's Wedding

Seabiscuit
  • Reply 38 of 44
    If you're going to put Rushmore in then you should include Royal Tennenbaum, I know a couple of girls who love that movie. Very interesting film....it definitely gets the "art house" nod....and I think somebody already named "Lost In Translation"...just so you can make sure she'll try to date her first professor~
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Yeah the whole Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums set would be worthy in my opinion Still need to see Lost In Translation. Bill Murray is great.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Since we're talking about films that appeal to chicks, I should mention Magnolia. I know a couple girls who love it, and it's not a bad movie to boot.