Enjoy Every Sandwich

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just made myself a very nice Sandwich, it was fairly simple, but it was tasty.

Sautéed onions

MorningStar tomato/basil burger

Pepper jack cheese(melted on top of the burger)

Honey Mustard

Tomato

Lettuce

Served between two halves of a Honey wheat Bagel

I'm not a vegetarian, but I like veggie burgers, and I often use them in place of meats on my sandwiches.

it was very satisfying, and I enjoyed making and eating it. I would have probably added some avocado, but they weren't ripe.

So, let's talk about sandwiches, current favorites? great recipes? simple and tasty? all time favorites? what sandwich you had for lunch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    I used to make a sandwich on Sundays. It used to cost me £4 and it was worth every penny.

The bread was burnt, sour, traditional-style baguette from the French bakery on the corner. I'd cut in two and toast the outside while I got the filling ready:

a few paper-thin slices of this stupidly hot Italian dry sausage and a few slices of Emmenthal from the stupidly expensive Italian delicatessen next to the French bakery

olive oil

salt

oh god why did i move away from these shops

I loved that sandwich. I'm salivating now.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Two ends of the spectrum:

An open faced toasted cheese sandwich (bread pre-toasted, cheese melted under a broiler), made with a good sharp cheddar and a good whole wheat bread. There is something about hot molten sharp cheddar that is like heroin to me.

Or, freshly baked honey-oregano wheat bread (lots of bakeries hereabouts), sliced thick, with local, organic tomatoes (which actually have flavor), avocado, a particular salty dry gouda I get from "The Cheese Board" (a local collective that lets you sample cheeses endlessly), a sweet/hot mustard from Sonoma county, and maybe some sweet onion if I can get it.

Hooray for Bay Area food!
  • Reply 3 of 42
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I've really been enjoying Ice Cream sandwiches lately.

Another all time favorite of mine is the Peanut Butter, Nutella, Banana Sandwich. I still dig PBnJ, but if I can help it, I do the PBnNB style
  • Reply 4 of 42
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Great Thread Title.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    warren zevon said it was his philosophy when he found out he was dying.

"enjoy every sandwich"

i don't know if that's where robot got it though.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    homhom Posts: 1,098member

From the 2nd Ave. Deli smothered in hot mustard, a few full sour pickles, and a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda. Perhaps some kasha varnishkes on the side.

Like heaven on earth.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    oh i forgot to say mine....the cuban sandwich from the HAVANA restaurant in west palm beach.

cuban bread, thinly sliced roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese, pickles, mustard and mayo. then grilled like a panini sandwich.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by mediocregorilla Kungfulifetricycle

warren zevon said it was his philosophy when he found out he was dying.

"enjoy every sandwich"

i don't know if that's where robot got it though.

indeed it was.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

From the 2nd Ave. Deli smothered in hot mustard, a few full sour pickles, and a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda. Perhaps some kasha varnishkes on the side.

Like heaven on earth.

Damn, I miss the 2nd Avenue Deli.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Whenever I'm in Pittsburgh, I can't pass up a ham, egg and bacon sandwich from Primanti Brother's. I'm sure it decreases my life span by a few years but it's heaven. In Miami, a good cuban or media noche always satisfies.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Yikes! Forget what I said about the good healthy sandwich!

I heading over to Saul's right now!
  • Reply 12 of 42
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I love good bread. I'd probably just eat the baguette in Hassan's sandwich and be happy.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Funge

I love good bread. I'd probably just eat the baguette in Hassan's sandwich and be happy.

Yeah, Bread is often overlooked, but for me, it's just as important as the contents in the sandwich.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    because it could be your last\
  • Reply 15 of 42
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

One of my goals if I go on leave will be to learn to make authentic French bread. I have recently acquired baking stones. I also have black-steel bakers shaped for French bread.

I will do whatever I need to do, and buy whatever I need to buy to achieve this goal.

Slurp.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    These sandwiches sound divine. Just divine.

And that pastrami is to die for. Oh god. Oh god.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I like corn tortillas .. as the closest to sandwiches that i eat. Stuffed with rice and home cooked beans, some vegetables and hot sauces.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member

Darn these sanwitched! I could never understand these complicated things!

Image from The Onion a long time ago...
  • Reply 19 of 42
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Call me crazy but there's nothing as good as a Bahn Mi sandwich

and a bowl of Pho Bo (or Ga)

I spent a lot of time in SE Asia as well as Honolulu China Town. These are hard to find in my current home town.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Pastrami Reuben!!