Sound slooow in classic (Panther)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
To those who remember vinyl, it sounds like a 45rpm playing @ 33rpm.

I first noticed it when I went to play an old game I've played many times before on this comp. The voices and sounds were dragging badly. Then I noticed that the voice that accompanied an error window while in OS 9/classic was also real sloooow, so its not just the game.

I re-installled classic via the Panther DVD. I trashed OS 9 sound prefs and re-installed again. No luck.

The only recent thing I've done which I don't do very often is play some movies with DVD player. I have an optical cable connected and now I've noticed in the Sound pref pane that 'Digital Out' will stay selected. When I select 'Internal Speakers' and close, digital will be selected the next time I open it.

The following is a copy paste from DU's repair permissions report. I've gotten it several times now of late. I have always regularly repaired permissions on this machine and have never noticed it before (there has rarely ever been anything to repair):

Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util, should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x

Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util

Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util

G5 1.8DP - this is a newer one that will not boot to anything but Panther

OS 10.3.3

Any insights much appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    deadeyedeadeye Posts: 26member
    Installing 10.3.4 didn't help. Not that I really expected it to. Although I haven't seen that repair permissions thing I posted above since I installed the update. No permissions have needed repairing so that seems to be back to normal.

Fixed the 'Digital Out' always staying selected in Sys Pref/Sound by unplugging and plugging back in the little analog jack. So thats back to normal.

Repaired classic permissions, ran DiskWarrior 3.0.2 and TTP 4.0.1 with no result.

Everything else seems fine so its no big deal, but I'd still like to know why all the sounds and voices from classic seem to be playing at a slower speed while the graphics and everything are normal.

Once again, any insights most appreciated!

Thanks