Printer compatability

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've got my girlfriend 99% convinced to switch. The only hang-up is the gigantic Canon printer, fax, scanner, copier that she just bought. It's an MP730 and, as far as I can tell, it won't work with OSX.

I'm rather anxious to get rid of the hulking mess of cables currently residing in her office and replace it all with an iBook and an Airport Express (maybe for Christmas). Do I have any options?

I tried to tell her to get an Epson....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    You are correct in that that printer doesn't support the mac. Have you considered just setting the old computer up as a print server?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the help. I kind of like that idea because the only reason I wanted an Airport Express is for the wireless printing.

How, exactly, would one go about setting that up? Would the PC still need to be completely functional (i.e., monitor, mouse, keyboard)? It would be kind of cool if I could just put the tower under a table somewhere and use it to run the printer and router.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr_emr_e Posts: 40member
    That's a great suggestion.

Just share the printer on the Windows box, disconnect the display, etc. and leave it running.

I would go the extra step and set up either VNC or remote desktop on it and administer it that way if necessary.

While you're at it, you may as well share out some drive space and use it as a file server. (heck, if you have any old drives around, drop them in there as well.)

-KWE