More mini mac switcher questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm still in PC land, but should funds allow I am tempted to pick up a mini with a cinema display. (20") The thinking being, I can use the display on my PC as well.

But I have questions -

1 - Could the mini use my iTunes music stash on my PC's hard drive? (I would of course have the two systems always networked together) I only want to maintain one library, and besides, it's already over 30gb in size and with the mini's hard drive being so... mini...

2 - Is there a cheap way to switch the monitor signal over between the 2 machines? I assume the cinema display doesn't have 2 inputs?

3 - Is 512mb enough? 1gb sounds way too expensive. I would be using the machine basically to play about with, surf the web, do some Photoshop drawing on. Games and 3DS Max would be the domain of my PC.

4 - How does the cinema display behave on a PC? I have heard mixed reports of things not working properly. It would be connected to a Radeon 9800 Pro. I assume windows will have a nice suitable W/S native resolution for it?

I've wanted to get back into Mac for a long time, and am also in the market for a new display. So this may be the time, if will be easy to run it alongside my PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    1. yes

2. not sure

3. 512 would be fine

4. I have never heard of such problems. sounds suspect
  • Reply 2 of 2
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrSparkle

4. I have never heard of such problems. sounds suspect

The problem I've run into using my old 22" Cinema Display on a PC with DVI is that until Windows boots up, I'm running blind. My Radeon 9600 doesn't seem to understand the display well enough to show BIOS boot-up stuff until the OS boots up with drivers for the display.

Any trouble-shooting regarding boot-up requires plugging in an old VGA monitor to see what's happening.