purchasing advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have spent many hours trying to decide what to do with my computing needs and need some advice from you guys.

I have a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 Ti with 1GB of ram. I bought it when it came out in 2002 and its been a great little computer. However, I just need more power than a 1Ghz G4 can give. Mainly, I want to be able to do video editing without having to wait an hour for the computer to render. HD size is also a problem for me. I also do some photoshop work but nothing too intensive, yet I could use a little more power in that area as well. And finally, I want to be able to play Doom 3 and World of War Craft etc with frame rates of 30fps+.

The problem: I NEED A PORTABLE

I am always driving somewhere and going places to visit friends and family... and sometimes to just go somewhere. Basically I am just adventurous. However, as we all know, the PowerBook is incredibly underpowered at the moment.

Now the good news: I have a 20% off ADC membership. This means that I can get a powermac G5 for a lot cheaper than normal. However this is really just 12% off cause of an 8% sales tax here in alabama (I hate this state; I'm from virginia). Anyway, I started thinking that I could get a PowerMac and keep my PowerBook for trips and such. The problem is that I was planning on selling my current powerbook to help pay for a new one. Dumping 2700+ on a powermac and monitor was more than I wanted to spend.

Another problem: I am very observant of things, and thus I have noticed that the dollar is slowly declining in value. I could write a lot on this, but the point is that these PowerMacs and PowerBooks are going to get more expensive for those of us living in the states. I then started thinking, maybe since I have a 20% discount I should just get the dual 2.5Ghz. Hopefully such a purchase would last me 3+ years no problem.

Questions:

1. Will a 1.67Ghz PowerBook (90% probability of upgrade tuesday LOL) be fast enough for what I'm doing. Will I notice enough of a decrease in render times to make the purchase worthwhile. I am looking for some numbers. EX. 30% improvement... ?

2. With my discount the 2.5Ghz PowerMac is $400 more than the 2.0Ghz PowerMac. It seems to me that the extra 500Mhz per CPU may be worth $400. Is it?

3. I don't suppose there is anyway to get around sales tax and still use my discount? Why does apple charge sales tax anyway? No other online store I know does. Would calling them have any effect?

4. Will a new PowerBook play Doom 3 without falling into an impenetrable ocean of choppiness? Same for other modern games...

5. Anyone experience any trouble with the liquid cooling system in the 2.5Ghz PowerMac?

...and any other general advice from you guys. No I'm not waiting another 8 months for a PowerBook update.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

I have spent many hours trying to decide what to do with my computing needs and need some advice from you guys.

I have a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 Ti with 1GB of ram. I bought it when it came out in 2002 and its been a great little computer. However, I just need more power than a 1Ghz G4 can give. Mainly, I want to be able to do video editing without having to wait an hour for the computer to render. HD size is also a problem for me. I also do some photoshop work but nothing too intensive, yet I could use a little more power in that area as well. And finally, I want to be able to play Doom 3 and World of War Craft etc with frame rates of 30fps+.

The problem: I NEED A PORTABLE

I am always driving somewhere and going places to visit friends and family... and sometimes to just go somewhere. Basically I am just adventurous. However, as we all know, the PowerBook is incredibly underpowered at the moment.

Now the good news: I have a 20% off ADC membership. This means that I can get a powermac G5 for a lot cheaper than normal. However this is really just 12% off cause of an 8% sales tax here in alabama (I hate this state; I'm from virginia). Anyway, I started thinking that I could get a PowerMac and keep my PowerBook for trips and such. The problem is that I was planning on selling my current powerbook to help pay for a new one. Dumping 2700+ on a powermac and monitor was more than I wanted to spend.

Another problem: I am very observant of things, and thus I have noticed that the dollar is slowly declining in value. I could write a lot on this, but the point is that these PowerMacs and PowerBooks are going to get more expensive for those of us living in the states. I then started thinking, maybe since I have a 20% discount I should just get the dual 2.5Ghz. Hopefully such a purchase would last me 3+ years no problem.

Questions:

1. Will a 1.67Ghz PowerBook (90% probability of upgrade tuesday LOL) be fast enough for what I'm doing. Will I notice enough of a decrease in render times to make the purchase worthwhile. I am looking for some numbers. EX. 30% improvement... ?

2. With my discount the 2.5Ghz PowerMac is $400 more than the 2.0Ghz PowerMac. It seems to me that the extra 500Mhz per CPU may be worth $400. Is it?

3. I don't suppose there is anyway to get around sales tax and still use my discount? Why does apple charge sales tax anyway? No other online store I know does. Would calling them have any effect?

4. Will a new PowerBook play Doom 3 without falling into an impenetrable ocean of choppiness? Same for other modern games...

5. Anyone experience any trouble with the liquid cooling system in the 2.5Ghz PowerMac?

...and any other general advice from you guys. No I'm not waiting another 8 months for a PowerBook update.

Thanks in advance...

Well- I heard that Doom 3 is going to require a G5. So if you're planning on buying the next powerbook (which will most likely be a G4) you're going to be screwed.

Nothing really, besides a new dual G5, is going to give you a LOT more power than you're powerbook. So, I guess I don't know what to tell you. The powerbook really isn't that bad.

Maybe an iMac G5 if you're looking to save money, but I have to say that my iMac G5 isn't that much faster than my old 1.25GHz powerbook. Maybe get another cheap computer (like the mac mini) and let that render while you do other stuff on another computer. lol.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Another thing: They're not about to update the powermacs are they? I haven't kept track of the powermacs.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Another thing: They're not about to update the powermacs are they? I haven't kept track of the powermacs.

that's quite a big question. no one knows except steve.

the current top of the line model would probably last me a few years but buying now (almost 7 months after the last update) seems just not right to me.

i am in exactly the same situation, i have a 1ghz tibook, have the need for a portable but on the other hand i want more power than the next powerbook revision is likely to deliver. so i guess i'll wait for either the next powermac speedbump or major upgrade whichever comes first.

btw. how much is the 'one time student hardware discount' apple offers for ?99 ?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

that's quite a big question. no one knows except steve.

the current top of the line model would probably last me a few years but buying now (almost 7 months after the last update) seems just not right to me.

i am in exactly the same situation, i have a 1ghz tibook, have the need for a portable but on the other hand i want more power than the next powerbook revision is likely to deliver. so i guess i'll wait for either the next powermac speedbump or major upgrade whichever comes first.

btw. how much is the 'one time student hardware discount' apple offers for ?99 ?

Yea, i don't know what to do, but i have been waiting forever for a G5. I don't feel like waiting and waiting forever hoping something cool comes out.

The ADC discount is 20% off the hardware and then 10% off the monitor and other random %s off BTO options etc. It's a descent discount but the $99 is for other things too.