Data Recovery Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2015
Ok about 10 minutes ago I discovered a monumental screw up on my part.

I keep a series of documents on a partition that is kept encrypted. I then usually when I'm ready encrypt a copy and shred the original. However I just discovered a document I'd written and encrypted for someone was the incorrect document but the original is now shredded.

There was however a second backup of a much earlier version of the document prior to any of this that was actually kept locally on my own hard disk since I'd emailed it. Only problem was I deleted the email just prior to discovering my mistake so now I need to get it back. This email was just deleted normally and unencrypted so shouldn't be a problem but recovery of any other version is essentially impossible. Any suggestions on any good software I can use to find the deleted file or am I bound for a professional?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Data Rescue X seems to be the name that everyone suggests in this situation, and it seems that many people have had success with it.

Good luck.

EDIT: here is the link

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
  • Reply 2 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Much appreciated. Now I just need to sort through all this mess.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rob010rob010 Posts: 10member
    Data Rescue X has helped me quite a few times

I would go past it 8)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    uh oh. the faq on the page of this software makes it sound like you are SOL. specifically:

Q: \tCan Data Rescue recover a file I just deleted (I'm running Mac OS X)?

A: \tNo, there is no tool on the market that can recover deleted files without being loaded ahead-of-time. OS X (UNIX) writes over your deleted file immediately, impeding recovery (this was different in previous operating systems that were not based on UNIX). Our other product, Data Recycler can prevent this from happening by protecting you from this type of data loss in the future.

hope u have another case .....
  • Reply 5 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    There is a program called File Salvage that does an amazing job. It recovered it perfectly in the end. I just had to sort through some 5000 documents in order to locate the right one but I even found ones that should have been completely wiped. That said about half those documents were unrecoverable. You just couldn't load them and get anything meaningful back.

Panic subsided though...well kinda. I decided to make a significant investment in making sure it never happens again.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

uh oh. the faq on the page of this software makes it sound like you are SOL. specifically:

A: \tNo, there is no tool on the market that can recover deleted files without being loaded ahead-of-time. OS X (UNIX) writes over your deleted file immediately, impeding recovery (this was different in previous operating systems that were not based on UNIX). Our other product, Data Recycler can prevent this from happening by protecting you from this type of data loss in the future.

hope u have another case .....

Since I was able to use Data Rescue X to recover over 700 pics I accidently deleted I'm not quite sure what they are trying to say there.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

A: \tNo, there is no tool on the market that can recover deleted files without being loaded ahead-of-time. OS X (UNIX) writes over your deleted file immediately, impeding recovery (this was different in previous operating systems that were not based on UNIX). Our other product, Data Recycler can prevent this from happening by protecting you from this type of data loss in the future. Hope u have another case .....

OS X 10.3.x has two options Empty Trash and Secure Empty Trash. The Secure option is the one that that overwrites your old data. So if you only Empty Trash there is a possibility of getting your old file(s) back. I too use and recomend Data Rescue X. Cheers, . A q u a M a c .
  • Reply 8 of 9

Telomar,

It seems appear that you have lost some of your very important files and now you are looking for some good software which may help you in recovering those deleted.

For buying the commercial data recovery software, you can use Stellar Mac Data Recovery Software or Disk Drill. You can also read a review from here before using it.

• Reply 9 of 9
    kylendozakylendoza Posts: 1member
    You know, when you see a message that looks like a positive response to your long-awaited application (whatever that may be), it’s understandable that your judgment will be clouded. I was very encouraged to find this site. The reason being that this is such an informative post. I wanted to thank you for this informative analysis of the subject. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I submitted your site to some of the biggest social networks so others can find your blog. Therefore, in return I can offer you this help for you to further understand more about your problem about erasing/recovering data securely from your device.