PowerBook: what one thing would you change?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Given the current line up of PowerBooks, what is the one feature that you would want to change or add?

For me it would be increasing the screen resolution of the 17".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    1. a second button for the trackpad. I need this for when I can dual boot other OS's on the intel based macs. Not to mention I DO use the right mouse button in OS X.

ah crud...
  • Reply 2 of 75
    thttht Posts: 5,454member
    Price.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Given the current line up of PowerBooks, what is the one feature that you would want to change or add?

For me it would be increasing the screen resolution of the 17".

S/PDIF the entire line up.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Screen quality across the line. Especially in the 12" modell.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    subnotebook model.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Only one? CPU speed. dramatic increase in CPU speed.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    FSB speed.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    If we're not counting processors and such...

Better quality/higher res screens across the board (ok...maybe not the 12")
  • Reply 9 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Two trackpad buttons, and the ability to close the lid without it going to sleep. (Use it as a giant iPod on the airplane, while reading a book; etc)

Yeah, there's a kernel extension for the latter function, but it would be better supported by Apple.

And higher density screens.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    better battery
  • Reply 11 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

better battery

I hope Apple is one of the first companies to jump on those new batteries (by Nokia, was it?) that recharge in less than 10% of the time of conventional batteries.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Rip out the POS PPC 7447A and put in the PPC 970FX. Everything else is cool. IMO.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    I know you said feature, my change is more a characteristic.

The frickin' heat issue is my biggest complaint. My original 12" rev A MiniMe is too dang hot, particularly here in Texas.

That and maybe some sort of remote control for DVD player, Airtunes and even Keynote.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Dedicated number pad on the 17" model.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I have to agree with there being 2 buttons. Even though you can make a utility for windows and mac (sidetrack) for a right click option (tapping a corner of the trackpad).

Other than that I think updating the screens and closing the screen without it going to sleep are good ideas as well.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by miggs97

Dedicated number pad on the 17" model.

Here here! The space is there, why not?!?

I hate using the staggered pattern on the current PBs...

But! Let's go one better!

Switch the screen to a 20" HD panel (along w/a dual-core CPU, mega RAM & a built-in RAID array...) and, like magic, there is now the space for not only the number pad, but for the arrow/edit keys also!
  • Reply 17 of 75
    cwestphacwestpha Posts: 48member
    track stick, I think the people who made trackpads should be shot. They are never good for controling a mouse, nice for shortcuts and scrolling though. They are always either to sensitive or not sensitive enough.

Come on with a trackpad you either lose the ability to scroll quickly across the screen or use it to acuratly select something.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwestpha

track stick, I think the people who made trackpads should be shot. They are never good for controling a mouse, nice for shortcuts and scrolling though. They are always either to sensitive or not sensitive enough.

Come on with a trackpad you either lose the ability to scroll quickly across the screen or use it to acuratly select something.

I guess each to his one because I friggen hate eraser heads to control the cursor.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

it's a friggin clitoris and a bad one too...
  • Reply 20 of 75
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Chiming in to say eraser nubs suck for controlling the pointer. I find them to be completely unsuitable for small movements. Try to move the pointer one pixel to the left -- it'll usually go halfway across the screen instead. They also have the added "benefit" of falling off periodically, which means you get to hunt down the extra ones you stuffed in a junk drawer or suck it up and buy new ones online.