iPod Phone WILL make it's debute a MacWorld Paris.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So at the stupid moto thing on July 25th their CEO said that they would make an announcement within the next 66 days.

So I'm guessing that Steve is going to put a little reality distortion field on it and make it the coolest phone ever- a must have for the holiday.

Here's to hoping that it's just not some crappy motorola phone with "iTunes" built in, but an apple designed phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    caymancayman Posts: 10member
    so any idea who the phone company might be <?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    OK, I still don't get this, why are people so concerned about the phone company? The only telco-specific phones here are the el-cheapo pre-paid ones and even they are found on at least two telcos. Why wouldn't all the telcos offer the phone and compete for your money on plan features and services? The Moto V3 is very popular here and you can get it on so many different plans through so many different companies. I just don't understand why your phone and your phone company go hand in hand, surely that's anti-competetive?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superted

OK, I still don't get this, why are people so concerned about the phone company? The only telco-specific phones here are the el-cheapo pre-paid ones and even they are found on at least two telcos. Why wouldn't all the telcos offer the phone and compete for your money on plan features and services? The Moto V3 is very popular here and you can get it on so many different plans through so many different companies. I just don't understand why your phone and your phone company go hand in hand, surely that's anti-competetive?

Because it we already belong to a cell service we will want our service to support it. If we have a 3 year plan with with 2 years to go with company Bell-X, then we could just switch our phone if Bell-X supports iTunes. Braking a contract is freaking expensive to get iTunes if it's with Bell-Z.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Because things are done a bit differently in Europe, and it will be a French operator that will introduce the phone first.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Because things are done a bit differently in Europe, and it will be a French operator that will introduce the phone first.

I'm thinking they're going to sell it unlocked for a higher price and make it one of the first cell phones to do very well without rebates or contracts- you can use it with any carrier, but you'll pay the price ($250-300).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

I thought it was pretty certain that it was going to be on Virgin Mobile, and intro'd at the V Festival next weekend.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Well because there is CDMA and GSM. If the phone is GSM then it's only for cingular or tmobile. If it's CDMA it's for verizon and sprint.

If were lucky it's both, which is unheard of in the phone industry. Odds are that it is GSM.

Quote:

Originally posted by superted

• Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

I thought it was pretty certain that it was going to be on Virgin Mobile, and intro'd at the V Festival next weekend.

• Reply 9 of 13
    caymancayman Posts: 10member
    most lkly cingular me nextime contract ends in dec ya you
  • Reply 10 of 13
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    All I hope is that it has bluetooth - wireless syncing with iTunes. If it does, it might convince me to buy one.

As for the carrier, if the phones good enough, just switch SIM cards, give old handset to someone else.

Unless it works different in USA.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by cayman

most lkly cingular me nextime contract ends in dec ya you

Could you provide a translation for the English speakers on the boards?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

All I hope is that it has bluetooth - wireless syncing with iTunes. If it does, it might convince me to buy one.

As for the carrier, if the phones good enough, just switch SIM cards, give old handset to someone else.

Unless it works different in USA.

It does - only 2 of the big phone companies provide GSM vis-a-vis SIM cards: Cingular (#1 in the nation) and T-Mobile.

Others are pretty much set on CDMA which is a different kind of beast all together and does not allow for switching of phones unless authorized by the provider (you have to buy their phones). Biggest companies to use CDMA are Verizon and Sprint - as noted in this thread before.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It does - only 2 of the big phone companies provide GSM vis-a-vis SIM cards: Cingular (#1 in the nation) and T-Mobile.

Others are pretty much set on CDMA which is a different kind of beast all together and does not allow for switching of phones unless authorized by the provider (you have to buy their phones). Biggest companies to use CDMA are Verizon and Sprint - as noted in this thread before.

My bad.