PCI and PCI-E questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
1..I bought a ATI 9200 PCI card 3 months ago, can I use it in the new Quad G5's

2..most cards now support dual monitors but for 3D screen redraw ( cinema4d) would it be better to allow your main card to just push one monitor and buy a smaller second one for pallets, meaning will pushing to monitors weaken the screen redraw speed of high poly scenes?

thanks

scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    1. No ...your current card is AGP only.

2. I think 2 cards would probably be beneficial but I've seen driver conflicts prevent this from smoothly happening on PCs at least.

PCI Express is nice because not only do you have the bandwidth(4GBps) going downstream but you also have it going upstream to the CPU.

Once drives catch up to this benefit we'll see smoother video products and other high end cards.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    thanks hmurchison

I guess I will just sell if off with the machine that it is in. Any opinion on the stock 6600 card in the new Quad..anyone?

scott
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Any opinion on the stock 6600 card in the new Quad..anyone?

I've read reviews which suggest the 7800 GT is (or can be, depending on the application..) much more powerful than the 6600. As such ... I'm waiting for the BTO information to show up on the Apple Store. I called Apple, and they said ... they're working on it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The 6600 is a decent card. I'm happy that we're finally beyond the 5200 and 9600 nvidia and ati series.

The 7800gtx is a beast. Man ole man..now is the time for Apple to hop into 3D. Buy Luxology you bastiches. Quadro FX 4500....drool.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I just purchased the ATI X800 for my G5.

Any idea's on what to do with the stock nVidia 5200?

I have a buddy with an older G4 (dual 500mhz), will it work on that box?

Which box's will it work on?

thanks
  • Reply 6 of 10
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The 6600 is a decent card.

The 7800gtx is a beast.

For ref, AnandTech has some test results for Battlefield 2 on the PC. The results probably don't map directly to image processing on OS X, but it gives you a sense of the difference between the cards when they are really pushed at high res:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2466&p=4
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

1..I bought a ATI 9200 PCI card 3 months ago, can I use it in the new Quad G5's

no, pci (or agp) is not pci-e compatible.

Quote:

Originally posted by rain

I just purchased the ATI X800 for my G5.

Any idea's on what to do with the stock nVidia 5200?

I have a buddy with an older G4 (dual 500mhz), will it work on that box?

Which box's will it work on?

the fx5200 is (probably) of the 'new' agp standard (x4/x8), these cards needs a compatible motherboard.

i guess old powermacs are of the old standard (x1/x2 agp) and thus are not compatible. (different voltages and what not)

generally, any powermac with a x4 or x8 agp slot can use the fx5200.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

the fx5200 is (probably) of the 'new' agp standard (x4/x8 ), these cards needs a compatible motherboard.

The FX5200 is an AGP-Pro card and doesn't fit in non G5 macs (unless you are willing to use a Dremel )
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    oh. you're right about that... sorry.

then try making a silicon sandwich..?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

The FX5200 is an AGP-Pro card and doesn't fit in non G5 macs (unless you are willing to use a Dremel )

Yah, I saw the 'Dremel' method on XLR8. I'm not sure I want to venture down that road.

Oh well... maybe i'll hang on to it in case the X800 fries from excessive Halo use.