Mac Mini price drop/upgrade soon?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lorre

Just a tought here: wouldn't the switch to integrated graphics make more room inside the mini available? I suppose an extra graphics card takes up more space than a chip soldered on the board... Not sure if this is correct though.

The Radeon 9200 of the Mac Mini G4 was soldered to the logic board. The difference with the "integrated graphics" of the Mac Mini Core is that the graphics chipset and the northbridge is the same physical chipset. No significant space savings there.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    I heard someone dropped a pre-release Merom into the mac mini and it worked. You can change the cpu. You couldn't do that with the g4 mini (where do you get a faster g4?). So it being upgradeable is a big plus as far as I'm concerned. It seems like they could upgrade the mini at any time. I think they did it with the g4 one and still had labled as having the slower processor. a silent update.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Yup. I'm waiting for Apple to price it right and make it right. I'm hoping by late August for back to school they will come to their senses and price it right.

If they made a matte black iMac I would probably go for that, but it doesnt seem likely.

that would be sexy as hell.

i'd buy it as soon as the apple store refresh after the annoucement.

in a heartbeat.

lol

• Reply 24 of 34
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    WOW.........Mac Mini and iMac both got quite a price drop here in the UK overnight.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    ukuserukuser Posts: 39member
    Yea looks like the uk have a price drop on the iMac and MacMini, im gonna go buy the MacMini now!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Hardmac.com:

Quote:

Apple has lowered the price of Mac mini and iMac Core Duo.

New prices are as follow (all taxes included):

Mac mini:

Core Solo: 619 Euros (-30 Euros).

Core Duo: 799 Euros (-50 Euros).

iMac core Duo:

17": 1299 Euros (-80 Euros).

20": 1699 Euros (-100 Euros).

Apple might have simply translate the recent price cuts applied by Intel on its Core CPUs.

• Reply 27 of 34
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Hardmac.com:

If they changed their price in then it is probably adjusting it for the exchange rate, I wouldnt expect to see any price change without the release of a new model, not Apple's style.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    monalisamonalisa Posts: 15member
    I don't completely agree with the sentiment that the Mac Mini is a bad deal. I considered "building" my own small, quiet desktop machine using A/Open or Shuttle bare bones systems and assembling an AMD or Intel box with everything, and it' really wasn't much cheaper than just buying a Mini. I ended up buying a refurb core duo machine for $699, then adding my own 2GB of memory. It's an awesome machine, much better than I could have built from components for the money. If you don't care about the form factor, it's possible to build/buy a PC for under $500, but it will be big, ugly and loud. As others have noted, Apple will most likely upgrade the Mini at the end of the summer, but my bet is that they will only upgrade the processor to maybe a 2.0 Ghz Core Duo and leave the rest alone. The integrated graphics chip works fine, by the way. If you want a gaming machine, go build one yourself.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by code mechanic

I agree its over-priced for what it is right now.

Despite what people may think, the mini is not a commodity computer. You're paying a bit more for its size. A larger slim PC with a desktop hard drive and optical drive would be cheaper. That being said, Apple would sell more of them if the keyboard and mouse did come with it for that price.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The Mac mini is definitely due for a modest upgrade. I would like to see this type of upgrade & back to original pricing.

Low-end:

1.83GHz Core Solo

Better integrated graphics

80GB 5,400 RPM hard drive

$499

High-end:

2.0GHz Core Duo

100 GB 5,400 RPM hard drive

$599
  • Reply 31 of 34
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The Mac mini is definitely due for a modest upgrade. I would like to see this type of upgrade & back to original pricing.

Low-end:

1.83GHz Core Solo

80GB 5,400 RPM hard drive

$499

High-end:

2.0GHz Core Duo

100 GB 5,400 RPM hard drive

$599

The low end has to be Core Duo. That solo shit doesnt belong anywhere in a Mac at any price.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

The low end has to be Core Duo. That solo shit doesnt belong anywhere in a Mac at any price.

indeed, and I still expect them to use slower processors (1.67/1.83Ghz) in combination with a price reduction.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Isn't there supposed to be another core solo chip coming out soon? Around 1.8ghz I think. I bet thats what the current solo mini would get in any future upgrade.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Isn't there supposed to be another core solo chip coming out soon? Around 1.8ghz I think. I bet thats what the current solo mini would get in any future upgrade.

That would suck. The Solo is unacceptable, IMHO