What's this about the iMac's Screen Size?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was reading the Apple Store eNews just now, and I noticed something of interest in the iMac write up. It says this about the 17" one:

"With its bright, clear, 17-inch (16-inch

viewable), widescreen flat-panel display and built-in SuperDrive, the newest member of the iMac family is an incredible bargain at only $1999."

I didn't measure the model at the store, but it sure looked like 17". Anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    must have been a typo. here's from the <a href="http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html"; target="_blank">tech specs</a>.

Display

Built-in 17-inch (viewable) widescreen or 15-inch (viewable) TFT active-matrix liquid crystal display
  • Reply 2 of 6
    imaximax Posts: 43member
    I've got a new 17" iMac. I just measured the screen and the viewable area is 17".
  • Reply 3 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Don't worry, it must've just been a typo.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Well, anyways. That is actually for the eMac. I remember reading that exact line but having it be for the eMac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    That is just a typo. The more annoying thing about the PR is the area myth. 17" widescreen has the same viewable area as 16.5" 4:3. Ie a monitor with 16.5" viewable is the same screen area. Apple says that the imac has the smae viewable area as a 19". Most 19" CRTs have 18" viewable nowadays. So in fact the imac has 83% the area of a 19" CRT. I think some 17" CRTs have 16.2" viewable which is about the same screen area as a imac 17".

Oh I see. A 19" CRT is the same width as a 17" imac. Hee hee so "if" you could use a 19" in 16:10 mode with black bars at the top and bottom you would have the same area. I suppose the statement is also true if you are watching a DVD, they would have the same picture size. It is misleading still non the less.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Screw the confusing inches, all you need to do is look at the res it supports. 1440 x 900 pixels. That's all you need to judge.