Motorola spooked by Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rampancy View Post

Take THAT Motorola! That's what you get for screwing us over for five years with the G4.

Bet you thought we forgot all about the 500 Mhz Fiasco back in 2000, eh?

Ah, good times.

I don't know which is worse... the G4 500MHz Fiasco or the G5 3GHz fiasco. I partially wish we would've gone back to Freescale after the G5... But Intel is just fine and dandy now that they dumped the Pentium. Core is finally a decent Intel architechture.

-Clive
  • Reply 42 of 99
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Ah, good times.

I don't know which is worse... the G4 500MHz Fiasco or the G5 3GHz fiasco. I partially wish we would've gone back to Freescale after the G5... But Intel is just fine and dandy now that they dumped the Pentium. Core is finally a decent Intel architechture.

-Clive

They didn't dump the Pentium. Core is based around Pentium III architecture, modified to add more SSE and dual/quad cores.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Who can confirm that Moto really said that they are "spooked"? No senior VP is gonna say that.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

They didn't dump the Pentium. Core is based around Pentium III architecture, modified to add more SSE and dual/quad cores.

Sorry, I should've clarified. The Pentium 4. That chip was sh*t even though it had fast clock speeds. The pipe was too f'in long.

-Clive
  • Reply 45 of 99
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    If the iPhone is as the reviews are saying, I won't be getting one when my VZW contract expires next year. Apple will have to add voice dialing for me to even consider an iPhone, and it will be extremely hard for me to justify it without some form of 3G in there.

On the other hand, I've been pretty happy with my RAZR V3c. Yeah, Verizon crippled the firmware, but it does everything VZW said it would do, which is all I was expecting when I bought it (and it only cost me $30, after all the rebates and promotions got factored in.) And unlike my previous phone, the RAZR hasn't broken in the 18 months I've had it.

So, when renewal time comes around (in February), if Apple has an iPhone v2 with the features I require, I'll switch carriers and get one. If not, I'm sticking with Verizon and will pick a phone from what they are selling at that time. I may even choose to stick with my RAZR (and have VZW credit my account towards the purchase of a new handset sometime in the future.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I know that foreign names can sound funny to Americans (and vice versa, e.g., 'Paris Hilton').

Paris Hilton sounds funny even to Americans. The Hilton family is completely legit - they named the hotel chain after themselves, not the other way around - but to name a child "Paris" is just silly.

One comic strip I read parodied that by having a character name herself "Sheraton St. Louis." As a part of the gag, they even created a MySpace page for the character.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

No. Just... no. Early reviews confirm, no 3G. It's not like the 802.11n situation, where Apple included the hardware and did the software update later because the 802.11n standard wasn't far enough along. 3G/HSDPA, as a standard, has been settled for awhile now.

Well, it's theoretically possible that they have a 3G-compatible chipset, disabled for some technical reason (like not finished developing the firmware), but I would be very surprised if that turns out to be true.

I'm looking forward to next week when someone will buy an iPhone and take it apart to identify its chipsets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

I really don't see why everyone is so worried about the phone supporting 3G services. As I understand it, Britain is much more widespread, but we just don't use it in this country. I have a 3G phone, but don't use the extra speed at all! I don't know anyone that does. Phone makers realise that people don't use it, and thus most phones are still 2.5G to keep costs down (I know that doesn't work for the iPhone).

3G isn't necessary until you start web surfing.

Read the reviews. It can take several minutes to load some common web pages over EDGE.

That Safari browser that Apple is hyping so much is going to be painful whenever you're not connected to a WiFi network.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Well, not sure about the UIS or the US for that matter, But as the worlds major mobile phone markets are Asia and Europe and the next major growth area Africa then for Apple to gain significant market share then just cracking the US is not going to be enough.

Okay but since this first iteration of the iPhone is built and designed for AT&T on their US network I'm not sure how any of what you said matters... If you don't think that the iPhone WILL be updated / reintroduced with 3G then you're just kidding yourself.

I'm not entirely of the opinion that APPLE is to blame for not having 3G in this phone... AT&T doesn't have what I (or many others) would call a ROBUST 3G network, and perhaps they didn't really want to have the iPhone further pointing that glaring fact out. This way AT&T, when criticized with 'slow network' comments can fire back with 'wait till the iPhone has 3G!' if they really were forced to defend themselves...

You can be assured that the EURO iPhone will most undoubtedly have 3G in it's first rollout. Given if what you said about the superiority of the Euro 3G network is true...

Dave
  • Reply 47 of 99
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

The Hilton family is completely legit - they named the hotel chain after themselves, not the other way around - but to name a child "Paris" is just silly.

She wasn't named after Paris, France --- that would be SILLY!! No.... She was named after Paris, Texas.

And to be fair, Paris isn't nearly as bad as the names people came up with for their kids in the 60's....

Moon Unit, "Ian Donald Calvin Euclid" aka Dweezil, "Ahmet Emuukha Rodan", "Diva Muffin" and those are all from just one guy!!!

Dave
  • Reply 48 of 99
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    So just how slow is EDGE? Is it about the same or worse than a dial up connection?
  • Reply 49 of 99
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I give it 4-6 months before Apple announces a 3G version of the iPhone. I think the biggest showstopper is the battery life; to support 3G a phone has to have a few more antennas in it, putting more drain on the battery.

I read about some company that will soon deliver an all-in-one radio antenna for phones that will contain pretty much all the differing bands on one chip, instead of a separate chip for each band/radio.

I'd like to think Apple has one somewhere in the basement at 1 Infinite Loop, running on an iPhone ThreeGee.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rampancy View Post

Take THAT Motorola! That's what you get for screwing us over for five years with the G4.

Bet you thought we forgot all about the 500 Mhz Fiasco back in 2000, eh?

That's a different division.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Why do people grossly ignore the fact that iPhone has WiFi and most people will be using an open network to access data. When I go to work my computer goes through dozens open networks. I'm really counting on the edge network for my data.

Open WiFi is just plain insecure and interceptable by everyone.

Quote:

Freescale still doesn't have jack. PA Semi had a dual core PPC, I don't know if that went anywhere.

Quote:

Sorry, I should've clarified. The Pentium 4. That chip was sh*t even though it had fast clock speeds. The pipe was too f'in long.

The Northwood / Prestonia version is fine. I still use a Prestonia-based system every day. I never ran Prescott / Nocona though.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I'm not entirely of the opinion that APPLE is to blame for not having 3G in this phone... AT&T doesn't have what I (or many others) would call a ROBUST 3G network, and perhaps they didn't really want to have the iPhone further pointing that glaring fact out. This way AT&T, when criticized with 'slow network' comments can fire back with 'wait till the iPhone has 3G!' if they really were forced to defend themselves...

Still seems a bit of a lame excuse to me. Surely AT&T are going to have a fully deployed 3G network within the 2 year contract span of initial iPhone buyers?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

So just how slow is EDGE? Is it about the same or worse than a dial up connection?

In theory EDGE is 236kbps to 473kbps. ie. 4 to 8 times quicker than dialup. In reality on AT&T people were getting 40kbps minimum and AT&T have reportedly been tuning the network to increase that to 80kbps. Here in the UK Orange claim 200kbps but I think the reality is much lower.

The initial reviews are puzzling though. A few minutes to load popular pages is a lot longer than I'd expect. One of the things both Orange and Vodafone do here is proxy the phone's connection through their cache and serve up lower resolution JPEGs in web pages to preserve bandwidth. I wonder if AT&T do that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I give it 4-6 months before Apple announces a 3G version of the iPhone. I think the biggest showstopper is the battery life; to support 3G a phone has to have a few more antennas in it, putting more drain on the battery.

If they're sensible, they'd allow you to switch off 3G to preserve battery life. Nokia and SE allow that.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

She wasn't named after Paris, France --- that would be SILLY!! No.... She was named after Paris, Texas.

And to be fair, Paris isn't nearly as bad as the names people came up with for their kids in the 60's....

Moon Unit, "Ian Donald Calvin Euclid" aka Dweezil, "Ahmet Emuukha Rodan", "Diva Muffin" and those are all from just one guy!!!

Dave

Those are all pretty bad, but my favorite weird name is this guy:

I mean, Creflo!? Creflo??? Who the heck names their kid that? It doesn't even rhyme with anything, 'cept maybe TriFlow.

He's some sort of televangelist, so he does get props for his last name reflecting what he's all about.

• Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:

You can be assured that the EURO iPhone will most undoubtedly have 3G in it's first rollout. Given if what you said about the superiority of the Euro 3G network is true...

Dave

You'd think, but its not a slam-dunk. Europe's overall 3G penetration rates are, surprisingly, not that much higher than in the US (though there are exceptions, such as Italy).

It's possible that Apple could launch over there initially with 2.5G, though one wouldn't recommend it. But their Euro launch is slated for 4Q '07, so perhaps there's not enough time to make and test the new version in time. Guess we'll see.

One thing's for certain: They have to have 3G in time for the Asian launch in '08. Japan and Korea lead the world in 3G penetration rates (over 50% already, higher still come 2008), the iPhone stands little chance of success over there without a 3G version. \

• Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:

But you are missing the point, Apple are heavily selling the iPhone as a portable web browsing device not just a phone. They are marketing the fact that it is the first phone with a full web browser that displays full web sites unlike the cutdown and reformatted sites that normal phone browsers view. So the iPhone will be displaying web content that is designed for 19' monitors running on PC's connected to a broadband connection. But yet they chose not to go with the fastest mobile speeds available, i am totally amazed that no-one else on here will even admit this is flawed.

Tell me about it. "Breakthrough Internet device" + dialup-speed browsing = Huh?!?

WiFi helps, but isn't a full solution, because it's not helpful if you're on the move or away from the local Starbucks.

So then we're back to "EDGE isn't... THAT... bad." Or even, "3G... isn't... THAT... good."

I guess some people think that being an Apple fan is all about defending whatever action the company takes. I'm of the feeling that being an uncritical customer doesn't really help them that much. Any company is stronger when it receives honest, and tough, feedback.

So, along those lines, they really need to get a 3G version out, no later than next year. And it should also be able to record video, voice dial, and do MMS- all really obvious and common features that iPhone 1.0 currently lacks. If they can get some of those holes filled via software updates to iPhone 1.0, awesome, more power to them.

It's a good phone, even breakthrough in some ways, but there's always room for improvement.

• Reply 55 of 99
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Freescale still doesn't have jack. PA Semi had a dual core PPC, I don't know if that went anywhere.

A little unfair perhaps. At the end of the PowerBook's life, Freescale released the 7448 and the 8641D Dual processor which had a stack of onboard features moving the north bridge into the CPU.

It's a pretty capable chip from all accounts and holds it's own up against the Core Duo with lower clock speed and lower power.

But once Apple left PowerPC, Freescale didn't have a customer for laptop/desktop chips so it's hardly surprising they've not released anything after that that is better. Same with IBM who have been busy elsewhere (consoles and servers).

The PA Semi Dual PowerPC @ 2.0Ghz has been released IIRC but that concentrates on running at very low power (5W typical). That would make a screamer of an ultraportable if Apple chose appropriate CPUs for the purpose rather than jumping wholesale in bed with Intel. Maybe the iPhone is hope there as it's ARM based but they used an dead end Intel Dothan in the AppleTV where that PA Semi chip might have been better.

Intel for me has been a bit underwhelming too. Jan 2006 their top end laptop chip was 2.33Ghz. A year and a half later we've reached 2.4Ghz. Woooo! Sure, it's better than being stuck with a G4 but I was still hoping they'd have moved on further by now, especially as Apple prefers the laptop chips, not the desktop chips.

There's not been much sign of Intel's ultra low power chips either.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Who can confirm that Moto really said that they are "spooked"? No senior VP is gonna say that.

Padmasree Warrior said she was kinda worried, but Motorola has other things to worry about now, see Moto Q1 2007 Conference Call (Apr. 07).

By their own admission:
    • Their Mobile Devices business is not even profitable at the moment, they anticipate on returning to profitability in the second half of the year.

• Their focus was on market share at all costs: "It's not that we don't want market share [?] But you've got to make money in what you do."

• Bad return on investment from R&D: "The bottom-line is the R&D and Mobile Devices has to start delivering the profitability that we are spending, otherwise we have to think about that R&D expense."

• The plethora of phone models is confusing: "We've got some products, some architectures that are not producing. [?] So, we are trimming the portfolio."

• Etc: ongoing management changes, channel rationalization?

• Reply 57 of 99
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Tell me about it. "Breakthrough Internet device" + dialup-speed browsing = Huh?!?

WiFi helps, but isn't a full solution, because it's not helpful if you're on the move or away from the local Starbucks.

So then we're back to "EDGE isn't... THAT... bad." Or even, "3G... isn't... THAT... good."

I guess some people think that being an Apple fan is all about defending whatever action the company takes. I'm of the feeling that being an uncritical customer doesn't really help them that much. Any company is stronger when it receives honest, and tough, feedback.

So, along those lines, they really need to get a 3G version out, no later than next year. And it should also be able to record video, voice dial, and do MMS- all really obvious and common features that iPhone 1.0 currently lacks. If they can get some of those holes filled via software updates to iPhone 1.0, awesome, more power to them.

It's a good phone, even breakthrough in some ways, but there's always room for improvement.

Yes, i am sure you are right, i would expect them the have released at least another version of iPhone in the next year and a 3G version could well be on the cards. It does look a cool phone, there is just a lot of work to do to even get 1% market share when you look at the amount of phones that Nokia sell.

I am not and anti Apple troll on here by any means, in our house we have an imac, a Mac Mini, 3 ipods, ipod HiFi and an AppleTV and the wife is getting a Mac Book this week. I do like Apple products very much, but that does not mean i am just going to love whatever they release and it does not mean i am incapable of criticizing a product when i feel it may be flawed, Just sometimes it is funny to see people defending Apple so much on here.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

You'd think, but its not a slam-dunk. Europe's overall 3G penetration rates are, surprisingly, not that much higher than in the US (though there are exceptions, such as Italy).

It's possible that Apple could launch over there initially with 2.5G, though one wouldn't recommend it. But their Euro launch is slated for 4Q '07, so perhaps there's not enough time to make and test the new version in time. Guess we'll see.

One thing's for certain: They have to have 3G in time for the Asian launch in '08. Japan and Korea lead the world in 3G penetration rates (over 50% already, higher still come 2008), the iPhone stands little chance of success over there without a 3G version. \

I agree with that. I think the EuroPhone (Steve said 4th quarter 2007) will be the same phone as the American iPhone v1, but the AsiaPhone (Steve said 2008) will be the same as iPhone 2 in the US, and will be 3G.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    Quote:

Just sometimes it is funny to see people defending Apple so much on here.

To be fair, some of it comes from the days where Apple fans would have to fight off legions of PC/Microsoft fanboy trolls, who would make unfair attacks on Apple, ad nauseum. The mid- to late-nineties was especially 'fun' for this... though it was always amusing to see PC/MS fantrolls whine that "Apple fans will defend Apple to the death". They just could not break us, no matter what.

Of course, you see a lot less outright trolling now, because to stand up and holla "Apple sucks!" these days just doesn't have a lot of credibility behind it. You can say it, but you'll just look like an idiot.

That said, a lot of people here seem to have a hard time differentiating between the occasional unfair PC fantroll attack, and well-meaning advice/constructive criticism given by authentic Apple fans. It seems like many still rush to play the apologist or defender role, when its really not necessary anymore.

Microsoft, Dell, Creative etc are the ones who need apologists/defenders now... not Apple.

• Reply 60 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I agree with that. I think the EuroPhone (Steve said 4th quarter 2007) will be the same phone as the American iPhone v1, but the AsiaPhone (Steve said 2008) will be the same as iPhone 2 in the US, and will be 3G.

That's the prediction I'd put my money on too, I think its been their plan all along.

Only exception is if Apple is stung enough by the 'no 3G?' criticism here and delays the Euro release long enough to make iPhone 2 the launch EuroPhone. But I'd say odds are against that.