Motorola spooked by Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Motorola has admitted that it's somewhat perturbed by the impending launch of Apple Inc.'s iPhone, but added that there could be "severe limitations" imposed by AT&T's slower 2.5G network.

The world's second-largest mobile handset maker is coming off a $118 million dollar first calendar quarter loss, notes the Financial Times, where its strategy to increase market share resulted in crisis.

Padmasree Warrior, chief technology officer for Motorola, told the financial paper that her firm is basing a comeback on a new generation of handsets, but admits that iPhone is of particular concern.

"I do worry about [the iPhone] because [Apple] is a great competitor; a very respectable, credible, tough competitor to have in the industry," she said.

At the same time, the exec believes the Apple device will appeal only to a "small part of the market" and hold its share of weaknesses. For instance, she said the phone's web browsing capability could have "severe limitations" because it will run on AT&T's slower 2.5G network, rather than the carrier's high-speed 3G network.

Motorola, which saw a resurgence after the launch of its RAZR handset in 2004, plans to unleash the second-generation of the super-slim handset sometime this summer. Like the firm's Q9 smartphone, the RAZR2 will reportedly run on the faster 3G networks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Um... no, Motorola is not 'somewhat perturbed'. I know someone who works at Moto, and their initial reaction was "Huh!?", followed by sh****g their pants.

The main problem for them is that Apple's strength goes directly against Motorola's weakness, which is that Motorola just isn't a software company.

Never have been, actually. This has been proven by the many Moto phone releases that were spoiled out of the gate by various software glitches and numerous bugs. I know a lot of people who won't even consider a Moto until its been out for several months. Their rep has gotten that bad.

And even when Moto's software works correctly, it still amazingly, incredibly, sloooooow. Try doing much with your RAZR once you have over 100 contacts in there, it isn't fun at all. They are trying to address this, with their new JUIX OS (Java/Linux), and by putting a faster cpu into the RAZR 2, but still, they are just now starting to do things they should've done a long time ago.

The other major phone makers are also somewhat in the same boat, as they are not great at software either (especially compared to Apple), but Moto has the additional burden of its star product (the RAZR) no longer being hot, plus their (well-earned) reputation for bugs and horrible quality control in general.

So, its really no wonder they're looking for a change of pants right now.

• Reply 2 of 99
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Loved your post, TBaggins.
  • Reply 3 of 99
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    It's not too hard to scare Motorola. They are pretty clueless.

The got lucky with the Razr a few years ago, but the main appeal of the phone was it's looks, not any sort of functionality. I bought it because it was the only decent phone without an external antenna.

Motorola is toast.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Sorry Moto RAZR 2 will mean nothing, people don't want a new version, they want new hotness. You're going to need a new design, not a refined old one.
  • Reply 5 of 99
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I do worry about [the iPhone] because [Apple] is a great competitor; a very respectable, credible, tough competitor to have in the industry

At least they were honest.
  • Reply 6 of 99
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    The major difference between most cell phones and the iPhone is that the iPhone (like the Blackberry) defines a whole new genre of phones, establishing itself as a platform. Apple is going to do the same thing with the iPhone that they did with the iPod. It's already happening, as shown by the numerous 3rd-party accessories available on launch day.

Future versions:

- iPhone mini

- iPhone nano

- iPhone shuffle (okay, maybe not) :-)

Hmmm, the "iPhone metro"... that would be a cool name.

There will be different members of the iPhone family at difference price points and that is what existing members of the wireless industry should be afraid of. The onslaught, not just the introductory phone.

The iPhone is such a hot topic because of the iPod. Consumers know they are in for a well-designed, fun-to-use product, and that's the source of the excitement.

The iPhone is the first Apple product family where we'll know about new releases months before its introduction, simply because of the FCC process.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Apple is also not geeking out the image of the iPhone by calling it a "smart phone". That would attract a very specific target audience. They are going broader. For example, how any teenagers would buy a Blackberry? Not many. However, I run into lots of business people that buy them.

The iPhone is going to clean house. That should scare Motorola. It's about time, too.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I take it that Motorola can no longer license iTunes for the ROKR and SLVR?
  • Reply 9 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

At least they were honest.

I have more respect for Moto now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Future versions:

- iPhone mini

- iPhone nano

- iPhone shuffle (okay, maybe not) :-)

iPhone Shuffle would interesting. It could either dial contacts from AddressBook in order or randomly pick people to call.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    aria505aria505 Posts: 10member
    The iPhone will not harm the other companies to badly.

What is going to be really scary for them all is when Apple releases their "iPhone nano" - a phone that goes up against all the other "normal" phones and just makes calls, sends text messages, and takes pictures.

It truly is going to be just like the iPod. There are many other mp3 players out there that have many more features than the iPod, but using their software is like slamming your face up against a brick wall repeatedly. People don't like that.

The big thing that is going to limit the iPhone is just that it is targeted at the high-end user just like the iPod. There are many people who don't need 30GBs of music storage so they buy the ipod nano. That is why the iPod nano is Apple's best selling mp3 players. Many people just want a phone that makes calls and can send text messages.

In the end it all comes down to the software and Apple already has every other company beat to death in that category. It just hasn't been realized yet in the physical phone by the appending DOOM of the "iPhone Nano".

SHHHH. Don't say its name to loudly. It gives the other companies nightmares.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    daijonesdaijones Posts: 28member
    Just wondering, from here in the UK, about the difference between EDGE and 3G. Of course 3G is faster, but how widespread is its availability in the US? A fast service that you can't get has got to be worse than a slow service that you can get, surely!

D
  • Reply 12 of 99
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Padmasree Warrior

Not to be mean here... but what the hell kinda name is that?!

She sounds like a creepy character from Star Wars. Okay - I won't say anything else other than the fact that at least Moto didn't stoop to spreading FUD like Verizon & Sprint did.... I do respect them for that, but everyone is right, they can't make software for sh**.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    aria505aria505 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daijones View Post

Just wondering, from here in the UK, about the difference between EDGE and 3G. Of course 3G is faster, but how widespread is its availability in the US? A fast service that you can't get has got to be worse than a slow service that you can get, surely!

D

3G is available in most of the major cities in the US. It definitely isn't as wide spread as EDGE. The thing is though that all of AT&T's devices that support 3G also support EDGE. So you wouldn't really have a problem of being without a data network, it would just be a matter of whether you were in an area with the fast data network or the slow data network.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage.../popUp_3g.html
  • Reply 14 of 99
    too bad for motorola

goodbye, moto!
  • Reply 15 of 99
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iPhone Shuffle would interesting. It could either dial contacts from AddressBook in order or randomly pick people to call.

I can't believe that no one else mentioned busting out laughing with that one...
  • Reply 16 of 99
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Not to be mean here... but what the hell kinda name is that?!

She sounds like a creepy character from Star Wars. Okay - I won't say anything else other than the fact that at least Moto didn't stoop to spreading FUD like Verizon & Sprint did.... I do respect them for that, but everyone is right, they can't make software for sh**.

• Reply 17 of 99
    stngraystngray Posts: 11member
    Motorola lost me as a customer long before the iPhone. Motorola's biggest threat in not Apple, or Samsung, or Nokia, it is Motorola. Their phones are mediocre at best, and after going through two Razr's (back when they were 250 bucks) in less than six months, I swore them off forever. The Razr was a breakthrough hardware design, but the OS was the same poorly designed system they had on previous phones, and the luster wore off quick. I have used Samsungs since then, using a Blackjack now, and have been much happier. Can't wait for the iPhone though.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Take THAT Motorola! That's what you get for screwing us over for five years with the G4.

Bet you thought we forgot all about the 500 Mhz Fiasco back in 2000, eh?
  • Reply 19 of 99
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Why do people grossly ignore the fact that iPhone has WiFi and most people will be using an open network to access data. When I go to work my computer goes through dozens open networks. I'm really counting on the edge network for my data.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rampancy View Post

Take THAT Motorola! That's what you get for screwing us over for five years with the G4.

Bet you thought we forgot all about the 500 Mhz Fiasco back in 2000, eh?

The Great Speed Dump if I remember.