O2 Pay & Go iPhones start at £299, make data optional

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leebo View Post

Does anyone have any insight as to whether the iPhone 1st Gen will be able to 'go legit.'?

What I mean is that I have a jailbroken phone, but still on O2 using Pay As You Go, and because of that am very wary of any software updates (whether its worth the hassle up unlocking/jailbreaking again) and Id love to be free of this and although Id miss some of the apps Id much prefer to be able to not be concerned everytime apple upgrades the software.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Hey dude. I am/was in the same boat as you. You might want to check Zibri's site or iClarified about what is happening. It has been reoported that the new hacking will be much harder this time. I got my 1 gen phone while in the US, and when I called AT&T about what happens, they said that even after 2 years the phone will stay locked, so it appears that the only solution might be to wait until Zibri or the DevTeam figures out a way to unlock it. I would not under any circumstances upgrade until you get the all clear.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    leeboleebo Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Hey dude. I am/was in the same boat as you. You might want to check Zibri's site or iClarified about what is happening. It has been reoported that the new hacking will be much harder this time. I got my 1 gen phone while in the US, and when I called AT&T about what happens, they said that even after 2 years the phone will stay locked, so it appears that the only solution might be to wait until Zibri or the DevTeam figures out a way to unlock it. I would not under any circumstances upgrade until you get the all clear.

Really? Yeh Id heard things about the 3G iPhone being much more watertight (of course weve heard this before but this time its does ring true).

Thanks. Ill have a look at those sites you mentioned (I usually stick to TUAW and here for news).

So , by all accounts the best thing to do is to stick with my iPhone 1st Gen for now BUT will these new data plans be available to the 1st Generation?

Will I be able to sign up to the £10 data plan and the text/call prices too?

Although at the moment I pay £10 a month get 300 free texts (within 30 days) , 1MB data and then my call charges come off the £10 credit so all in all thats a great deal apart from the data.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

Your argument rings rather hollow, and is rotted in jealousy.

Anyway, you can have a look at this as well and attribute this to me if you want.

http://www.sonera.fi/Puhelin%20ja%20liittym%E4/Hinnat

So, the contractless iphone in Finland is a lot more expensive than what you said your friend told you.

I am not jealous in any way --- I am just correct with my argument about the iphone pricing in Finland. For you, you were just spreading baseless rumors from a friend that knew absolutely nothing.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This is sweet if it is true, £299 for 8GB is a bit steep only when compared to the contract iPhone. Free unlimited 3G *and WiFi* for 6 months is pretty impressive compared to a lot of other countries. w00t
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

So, the contractless iphone in Finland is a lot more expensive than what you said your friend told you.

I am not jealous in any way --- I am just correct with my argument about the iphone pricing in Finland. For you, you were just spreading baseless rumors from a friend that knew absolutely nothing.

Like your unnamed sources. How factual are these? Anyway, continue to obfuscate. I do like the way you cherry pick your way though an argument. And once again, and I will go slowly. I never said my friends info was factual. You just deemed it so. As I will finally point out. I could not care less. I will get my unlocked iPhone and that is that. Enjoy your contracted iPhone and do your best not to bother me again regarding THIS particular issue. Ok?
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leebo View Post

Really? Yeh Id heard things about the 3G iPhone being much more watertight (of course weve heard this before but this time its does ring true).

Thanks. Ill have a look at those sites you mentioned (I usually stick to TUAW and here for news).

So , by all accounts the best thing to do is to stick with my iPhone 1st Gen for now BUT will these new data plans be available to the 1st Generation?

Will I be able to sign up to the £10 data plan and the text/call prices too?

Although at the moment I pay £10 a month get 300 free texts (within 30 days) , 1MB data and then my call charges come off the £10 credit so all in all thats a great deal apart from the data.

Not really sure what to tell here. You might want to contact a local operator and see what they have to say. Wish I could help you more. If you go to Zibri's site, you can drop him a line and he might be able to fill you in a bit more than me.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Quote:

Like your unnamed sources. How factual are these? Anyway, continue to obfuscate. I do like the way you cherry pick your way though an argument. And once again, and I will go slowly. I never said my friends info was factual. You just deemed it so. As I will finally point out. I could not care less. I will get my unlocked iPhone and that is that. Enjoy your contracted iPhone and do your best not to bother me again regarding THIS particular issue. Ok?

How did I cherry pick through an argument?

I said $600 iphone from O2 is simlocked. I said Finland doesn't have anti-simlocking laws on 3G phones. I said that Italian carriers (according to unconfirmed news reports) that they are selling unlocked PAYG iphones for a price that is higher that the $600 simlocked PAYG O2 iphone.

That's all my points. No cherry picking.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Quote:

How did I cherry pick through an argument?

I said $600 iphone from O2 is simlocked. I said Finland doesn't have anti-simlocking laws on 3G phones. I said that Italian carriers (according to unconfirmed news reports) that they are selling unlocked PAYG iphones for a price that is higher that the $600 simlocked PAYG O2 iphone.

That's all my points. No cherry picking.

Did you mean to edit your post? I have to edited part but to save time I will just point out that you really seem to love to jump to conclusions or assume, or speculate. You assume that I will use a Sonera card in my UNLOCKED iPhone. Maybe I will use my DNA card which comes with unlimited data, all for 9.90 ?/month. What now?
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

Did you mean to edit your post? I have to edited part but to save time I will just point out that you really seem to love to jump to conclusions or assume, or speculate. You assume that I will use a Sonera card in my UNLOCKED iPhone. Maybe I will use my DNA card which comes with unlimited data, all for 9.90 ?/month. What now?

You seem to assume that (1) the Sonera 3G iphone is unlocked in the first place [which they don't have to because it's a 3G phone which is allowed to be simlocked] or (2) there are going to be 3rd party simlocking solutions readily available after the launch.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:

You seem to assume that (1) the Sonera 3G iphone is unlocked in the first place [which they don't have to because it's a 3G phone which is allowed to be simlocked]

Curious. The law can easily be interpreted to mean that simlocking is permitted only during the term of a tie-in contract. If a PayGo phone is available for purchase, then it might be interpreted that the simlock on such a phone (if any) would have to be removed free of charge as soon as the customer chose not to purchase the next month's minutes (thus terminating the PayGo service agreement).
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:

You seem to assume that (1) the Sonera 3G iphone is unlocked in the first place [which they don't have to because it's a 3G phone which is allowed to be simlocked] or (2) there are going to be 3rd party simlocking solutions readily available after the launch.

To your 1st point. Where did I say, and be factual, that iPhones are unlocked. Quote a source where I said this, not my friend, not the girl down the street, not the man on the moon, but me. Where I said: iPhones come unlocked. To your 2nd point, once again, post a quote where I said specifically there will be 3rd party sim locking solutions ( I think you meant sim unlocking solutions but who really knows what you mean. You twist and turn and change so much it is hard to keep up with your "arguments") readily available after the launch. This should be easy for you to prove. You made this statement so back it up, and please, please, please stop twisting words and trying to use them to suit your uninspiring debate points.

By the way, in post 12 you stated that Europeans are also into the locked iPhone situation as in the US, but last time I looked, France was a part of Europe. You might want to rethink this one.. Oh, and another assumption on your part, you assumed that because I have a dip passport I can simply disobey laws.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:

To your 1st point. Where did I say, and be factual, that iPhones are unlocked. Quote a source where I said this, not my friend, not the girl down the street, not the man on the moon, but me. Where I said: iPhones come unlocked. To your 2nd point, once again, post a quote where I said specifically there will be 3rd party sim locking solutions ( I think you meant sim unlocking solutions but who really knows what you mean. You twist and turn and change so much it is hard to keep up with your "arguments") readily available after the launch. This should be easy for you to prove. You made this statement so back it up, and please, please, please stop twisting words and trying to use them to suit your uninspiring debate points.

By the way, in post 12 you stated that Europeans are also into the locked iPhone situation as in the US, but last time I looked, France was a part of Europe. You might want to rethink this one.. Oh, and another assumption on your part, you assumed that because I have a dip passport I can simply disobey laws.

Not really helping the general public with the French consumer protection law --- when it only benefits rich people who can spend 750 euro for a unlocked iphone. It's like the US government providing public flood/hurricane insurance --- and it's always the rich people getting the benefit by building beach houses in the middle of the annual hurricane path that get destroyed every few years.

You didn't say the iphone comes unlocked --- but you said YOUR UNLOCKED iphone. Where is your iphone going to come from? You repeatedly said Sonera.

I did mean 3rd party unlocking solutions.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

Not really helping the general public with the French consumer protection law --- when it only benefits rich people who can spend 750 euro for a unlocked iphone. It's like the US government providing public flood/hurricane insurance --- and it's always the rich people getting the benefit by building beach houses in the middle of the annual hurricane path that get destroyed every few years.

You didn't say the iphone comes unlocked --- but you said YOUR UNLOCKED iphone. Where is your iphone going to come from? You repeatedly said Sonera.

I did mean 3rd party unlocking solutions.

Now you are arguing from a bad position, and incorrect at that. I did say Sonera but I also said the reason mine would be unlocked. I pointed this out distinctly. If you can not see the difference it is because you do not want to and enjoy using nebulous distinctions, as to leave yourself an out in an argument or you have comprehension issues.

You then fail to admit you were wrong about the European phone issue and start talking about the French, the US, everything except saying: "oh, yes. I was wrong there" and then moving on. It makes your arguments weak and you loose more and more credibility with each post.

I am still waiting for you to post where I*said there will be 3rd party unlocking solutions. A direct quote. You can't provide one but will not simply with draw the statement. You make yourself look weak here and as if you do not know what you are talking about.

You failed to back up your assumption statement with a direct quote. You failed to back up the diplomatic passport statement with a quote. You continue to try and move the goal posts in each successive post and your arguments become more and more spurious.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:

Now you are arguing from a bad position, and incorrect at that. I did say Sonera but I also said the reason mine would be unlocked. I pointed this out distinctly. If you can not see the difference it is because you do not want to and enjoy using nebulous distinctions, as to leave yourself an out in an argument or you have comprehension issues.

You then fail to admit you were wrong about the European phone issue and start talking about the French, the US, everything except saying: "oh, yes. I was wrong there" and then moving on. It makes your arguments weak and you loose more and more credibility with each post.

I am still waiting for you to post where I*said there will be 3rd party unlocking solutions. A direct quote. You can't provide one but will not simply with draw the statement. You make yourself look weak here and as if you do not know what you are talking about.

You failed to back up your assumption statement with a direct quote. You failed to back up the diplomatic passport statement with a quote. You continue to try and move the goal posts in each successive post and your arguments become more and more spurious.

Your friend said a lot of things --- all of them seemed to be wrong. So why should you trust your friend again to provide you with the unlocking code? I didn't say that you said there is going to be a third party unlocking solution --- but your position seem to be that you are expecting your friend to come through (when your friend has been repeatedly giving you incorrect information).
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Quote:

Your friend said a lot of things --- all of them seemed to be wrong. So why should you trust your friend again to provide you with the unlocking code? I didn't say that you said there is going to be a third party unlocking solution --- but your position seem to be that you are expecting your friend to come through (when your friend has been repeatedly giving you incorrect information).

Here you go again on another assumption. Did I say which friend would give me an unlocking code? This might be new for you but sometimes people have more than one friend. In defense of the friend that told me about the iPhone prices, he was guessing based on info that he had heard previously. Half of the people at Sonera had not heard about the pricing schemes until they read about them online. Customer service was in the dark as much as everyone else.

Second, you still failed again, as normal to address my statements in regards to things you said. You said, I assumed that there would be 3rd party unlocking solutions. Where did I say this. You continually move around an argument rather than answering.

Also you continue to worry about something that is not yours to worry about. You worry about the fact that I do not care if people can and can not unlock their phones but we both know you would at the front of the line not caring either if you could get an unlocked iPhone (this is purely my guess or speculation). You also worry about what my friend tells me when actually it is none of your business as it does not affect you. The only thing you should worry about are the things you say, that you fail to prove. If you do not know something, make your statements in the form of an opinion. I now know, I will trust or believe very little of what you post or say, offer, etc... because you have shown repeatedly that you are credible in your postings.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Yes, from now on --- I will just take it that you are a big shot US diplomat stations in Sweden and you have friends like the CIA station chief in your embassy, who together with his friends at the NSA can crack the unlocking codes for the iphone.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:

Yes, from now on --- I will just take it that you are a big shot US diplomat stations in Sweden and you have friends like the CIA station chief in your embassy, who together with his friends at the NSA can crack the unlocking codes for the iphone.

Sweden? Who said anything about Sweden? I am in Finland. You know. To the right of Sweden, left of Russia. Nordic, not Scandinavian country. Get a map, or Google Earth. This is too funny.

Please post more. Each post from you gets worse and worse. You basically can not back up your statements so you are not making up stuff.

More, more, more. Post more. I need to laugh a bit more before I go to bed.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Just your average typing too fast, I do know the difference between the 2 countries.

I am not making anything up --- I just acknowledge that you are rich and powerful and that you have avenues to get your iphone unlocked beyond the average little people.

As a US diplomat abroad --- you should talk about how Finland should liberalize their telecom sector. A lot of their policy has Nokia in mind. Finland tried to end-run Qualcomm (nokia's public enemy number 1) --- by adopting Flarion in a new spectrum space back in 2005 (just before Qualcomm bought out Flarion). Finland should open the GSM handset market as well (to simlocking) so that other handset manufacturers can get a foothold into Nokia's backyard. You should talk about how the US has no simlocking laws --- yet both national GSM carriers in the US provide unlocking codes for free after 90 days. You should talk about how even the EC commissioners are thinking seriously about US style in mobile termination rate.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

Just your average typing too fast, I do know the difference between the 2 countries.

I am not making anything up --- I just acknowledge that you are rich and powerful and that you have avenues to get your iphone unlocked beyond the average little people.

As a US diplomat abroad --- you should talk about how Finland should liberalize their telecom sector. A lot of their policy has Nokia in mind. Finland tried to end-run Qualcomm (nokia's public enemy number 1) --- by adopting Flarion in a new spectrum space back in 2005 (just before Qualcomm bought out Flarion). Finland should open the GSM handset market as well (to simlocking) so that other handset manufacturers can get a foothold into Nokia's backyard. You should talk about how the US has no simlocking laws --- yet both national GSM carriers in the US provide unlocking codes for free after 90 days. You should talk about how even the EC commissioners are thinking seriously about US style in mobile termination rate.

Samab,

Stop, stop, stop.

1. I am not rich nor powerful. Rich. I work for the US govt. This should be a hint. We are almost broke. Second, having friends cultivated through years of sauna's, dinners, geocaching, etc... works out to be much more fun than being powerful. For me anyway. I have friends that happen to work for Sonera. Period. Sometimes it is not what you know but whom you know. There are many kinds of diplomats. Not all are in the commerce section. You have political officers, economic officers, IT officers, etc....

2. My statement to you were in your assumptions about me. You made a statement, I asked you to back up what you said. You can't which is still okay. You will not even admit that, which is still okay. Any can see where the truth is here so we can move on. I now have an insight into how you operate and I will adjust fire accordingly. So as far as I am concerned, this is over.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    You also make assumptions about me --- I made 2 quick typing mistakes (simlocking instead of unlocked and Sweden instead of Finland) and you jumped all over me.

You shouldn't be arguing with me about France's simlocking laws. You should be standing beside me arguing that France's simlocking laws don't really work if it only results in a 750 euro unlocked iphone. You should be standing beside me arguing that the high iphone price (both handset and plans) is the result in French's telecom policy in allowing only 3 national carriers (and all 3 are French owned). Liberalize the French telecom industry by allowing a fourth carrier that may or may not be foreign owned would be the way to go.

Sweden's telecom regulator (PTS) handed out 3G licenses by "beauty contest" --- blew up in their face. The past 2 years --- PTS did a 180 and has been auctioning spectrum space ever since.