Piper believes leadership shift at Apple is underway

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Is Piper the new madame Soleil?
  • Reply 22 of 49
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    The new leadership is a ravaged economy and employees who are sick and tired of 25 years of not being able to spend the holidays with their families.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

In the event that SJ does step down, there is an upside. Whoever takes the helm may not be as prejudiced against some of the items that SJ is.

Exactly.

Until analysts can access not only Jobs' strengths but his weaknesses as well and articulate these there's no reason to fear.

Apple's not the only company to become resurgent. I'm staring at an IBM banner add as I type this knowing that at one time "Big Blue" was thought to be a dinosaur that would not survive.

Apple has done very well and quite honestly I don't have the same fear that other have. The Executive staff at Apple seems to be stellar for the most part.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The new leadership is a ravaged economy and employees who are sick and tired of 25 years of not being able to spend the holidays with their families.

I guess there won't be a 25th Year Anniversary Mac either
  • Reply 25 of 49
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

Apple can de-emphasize Jobs' role by having others do the smaller announcements, product refreshes, and demos while reserving the new product category announcements for himself, which happen infrequently. Thus over time, Jobs showing up or not becomes a non-issue because no one will expect him too, unless Apple has a huge new product announcement to make; the added benefit of that is it gives Apple more secretive control - no will know when to expect such an announcement. And when he finally does leave or becomes a behind the scenes advisor, it will have little affect on the stock.

I think they should do the exact opposite. Have others such as Phil Schiller do the big groundbreaking announcements. Only that will show people that it is a team effort. Sadly I think they will announce only minor refreshes at this last Macworld keynote which will only serve to strengthen the whole "only Steve Jobs can deliver" belief.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I thought the "tag team" approach with SJ as the "moderator" was best, it seems like they should have done that again. Oh well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Agreed lol, most of these morons are coming to these conclusions cause Apple is not going to Macworld after this year not knowing that Macworld was never a Apple held event, Apple was invited and did use the event to deliver a keynote there but the entire thing was put up by a separate company

Most people don't know that Macworld isn't put on by Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I thought MWSF was a week after the New Year's.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

Because analysts are not bunch of fanboys who'd say something because of their subjective opinion. What do you expect people to listen to? The enthusiast Mac evangelists on mac forums?

Wrong! Analysts are storytellers for their company's clients. Its fantasy land for fools and their money. They are a running joke inside the trading rooms. You are far more likely to reach enlightenment listening to fanboys since by definition they know the company and its products inside out.

Think again new boy.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

Because analysts are not bunch of fanboys who'd say something because of their subjective opinion. What do you expect people to listen to? The enthusiast Mac evangelists on mac forums?

People should be researching these companies using their own reason, and when that doesn't satisfy your questions contact a broker and talk to friends, colleagues and family to get more feedback.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought MWSF was a week after the New Year's.

Oh, you're right. I forgot, it only takes a couple days to finalize new products and put together the presentations. That leaves plenty of time to relax, just like all the fabs that close down over the holidays.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Drug binge is underway at PJ
  • Reply 31 of 49
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Ok, so here's a little thought experiment for you.

Instead of this, Steve walks on stage, announces very little, and the 'one more thing' is "And by the way, this is my last Keynote."

Can you say 'Titanic' for the stock?

Maybe this is a crackpot theory at this stage, but I don't believe Steve will be giving any more keynotes. He has only been punished for giving them recently. So why do it?

Instead, the next rung of leadership at Apple will be giving the keynotes from now on. This will familiarize us with the new leaders. Once we are familiar with the other leaders, I think the market would be less apprehensive. Market apprehension (steve's health) is becoming a problem for AAPL, a corporate problem that demands changes.

AAPL is not dangling over the precipice of defeat. They are a solid company. Steve has already made his core contributions. Time to shake things up. While Steve is still healthy and looking good, which I hope he will be for many years..... JMO
  • Reply 32 of 49
    I'm a long time Apple fan. I've always said that one thing I like about Apple is that it's not merely a money-making endeavor. I really believe that Steve Jobs doesn't put money first. Instead, he's motivated by certain ideals. He's concerned about changing the world by creating innovative, user-friendly technology.

I'm not saying that Jobs doesn't recognize the importance of money. Apple has to make money to survive. But I really believe that he figures that as long as Apple excecutes all aspects of it's mission to provide quality products, the money will follow.

People roll their eyes when I say such things; they think I'm hopelessly naive. They think every company is just like Microsoft at heart. Apple can't really be different.

How does this fit in this thread? Apple demonstrates its lack of concern for stock holders on a regular basis. We lost over six percent of the stock value today. It happened in a way that was both predictable and avoidable. If Jobs had merely made an appearance on CNBC and said a few words about the reason for dropping out of MacWorld the stock would be fine.

I'm a bit disgusted with Apple today. But I remind myself that the underlying explanation for Apple's pig-headedness on this issue, is the same explanation for so many of the qualities that I admire about the company.

Long term, this announcement means nothing, and the stock will eventually soar again. Long term the company is in phenomenally good shape, and it will continue to innovate and change our relationship with technology. I have to remind myself of these things on a day like today.

However, I do wish I could say to Steve, "Don't forget that many of your best customers are also shareholders. And we're not billionaires. Give us a thought sometimes, eh?"
  • Reply 33 of 49
    I was contemplating putting a good portion of my technology portfolio in Apple - but

decided not to. Look at how their stock reacts just on rumors alone. I'll wait for news that he's leaving then buy when the stock tanks. I think they will do well if they get into the Home entertainment area.

FYI: I am a mac user - and I'm just waiting to upgrade when the new 17" MBP comes out.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WiggyWack View Post

They're just getting ready to take over the world with their Draconian Reality Distortion Field! IT'S A TRAP!

And it is a cloaking device, long live the empire!
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmark76 View Post

I was contemplating putting a good portion of my technology portfolio in Apple - but

decided not to. Look at how their stock reacts just on rumors alone. I'll wait for news that he's leaving then buy when the stock tanks. I think they will do well if they get into the Home entertainment area.

_SNIP_

There are a number of roles that Steve can play and still be very much in charge but just not a spokesman. If you look at his role at Apple he is very hands on, designing the glass stairs at the Chicago Store. And then there are all of the flights he made to Europe prior to the launch of the iPhone there. Even one of the CEOs remarked that Steve knew about product placement, and lots of little details of his stores and that suggested that Steve may have spent a fair amount of time in those stores unannounced, just hanging out soaking it all in. So in light of this yes I would like for him to transition the team to picking up this stuff and product announcements. There are still lots of things to do, and while Steve is a great presenter he is a much better dreamer. So if Apple decided that they would put in a hammock and just have Steve lay around take it easy and dream, that may not be such a bad thing.

As we have seen in the past many people can run a company, few can see the future of technology like Steve can.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

I expect them to listen to people who have a track record of being correct, not a record of being wrong.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Wrong! Analysts are storytellers for their company's clients. Its fantasy land for fools and their money. They are a running joke inside the trading rooms. You are far more likely to reach enlightenment listening to fanboys since by definition they know the company and its products inside out.

Think again new boy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I expect them to listen to people who have a track record of being correct, not a record of being wrong.

It was Apple "fanboys" who claimed:

Apple will not a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Apple will not make a mobile phone.

After that was proven wrong, they then started saying: There will be no iPhone SDK. Nobody needs third party native applications on iPhone. Web apps are really, really SWEET.

Ease of service doesn't matter. You can't make a laptop that's thin and easy to service. Then Apple released the unibody MacBook Pro which is thinner with much easier accessibility than the previous model.

Who needs preemptive multitasking or memory protection?

Who needs automatic memory allocation? Just click Get Info and change the memory amount by yourself.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    The question is, why does AI splatter these type of "opnions" (lies) around? If no one paid attention to these morons, they would become extinct. So why keep them alive?
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

It was Apple "fanboys" who claimed:

Apple will not a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Apple will not make a mobile phone.

After that was proven wrong, they then started saying: There will be no iPhone SDK. Nobody needs third party native applications on iPhone. Web apps are really, really SWEET.

Ease of service doesn't matter. You can't make a laptop that's thin and easy to service. Then Apple released the unibody MacBook Pro which is thinner with much easier accessibility than the previous model.

Who needs preemptive multitasking or memory protection?

Who needs automatic memory allocation? Just click Get Info and change the memory amount by yourself.

Man, that took a lot of effort. If those people are "fanboys" then what are you?

Also, contrasting the speculative opinions of thousands of people and comparing it to the record of one person is not a very strong strategy.

Apple isn't going to Macworld because they no longer release products based on trade show dates. Trade shows elevated Apple in 90s and 00s, and the press loved it. Now, Apple can overflow it's own press theater whenever it wants. This means Apple can roll products out based on more traditional business deadlines like summer back-to-school and christmas. This is not speculative - it has been their trend lately.

This is interesting. Everyone, including this analyst, knows that Apple's stock lives and dies with Steve Jobs health (an exaggeration, but it still impacts it heavily). The logical conclusion for Steve and Apple to take is to elevate it's leadership. Apple really isnt run by one guy, but many extremely smart people. The logical and important thing would be to show that, and Apple is doing so.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

I start to believe the majority are not even apple fans but obsessed SJ fans; ppl who think everything's coming out of apple's arse is for Jobs and not a team; just how surprised these 'fans' will be...