New 27" iMac designed to also work as a display

Comments

• Reply 141 of 222
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yes they could easily sell it for less than the current 30" ACD.

I see the Dell 30" at $1,399.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

And you really think it'll cost less than the current 30" ACD? I assume an updated 30" ACD.

Even for the $1,699 retail price for the Dell 30" it's still a no brainer to get the iMac. You could downgrade to the 3.06Ghz C2D 27" iMac and have a zero cost differential.

• Reply 142 of 222
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmon View Post

With the amount of time and development Apple has put into the screens on these new iMacs (bezel-less glass, high quality LED screens, very low price, etc.) it makes me think that new Cinema Displays can't be far off. Considering the 30" display hasn't been updated in years I wonder if they are planning something quite a bit different than just a thinner dumb display with slightly higher specs.

Traditionally, Apple has introduced new Cinema Displays in conjunction with new PowerMacs - which were the natural counterparts - but I wonder if they're shifting the focus and going to pair them with the features in a new Apple TV. They are called Cinema Displays after all. Of course they could build the Apple TV functionality directly into the display itself... but I'm not sure how much different that would be from a 30" iMac and Apple doesn't like to have too much overlap between product categories.

Be careful if Ireland hears you he'll get wood....
  • Reply 143 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bird24 View Post

I have been a pc user my entire life and purchased an iphone two months ago. I was so impressed that I took the time to look a imac's at a retail store. Fell in love with them and decided to purchase one when I heard about these new imac's. My questions is as follows:

Which system would perform faster, 3.33 Ghz with a dual core or a 2.8Ghz with a quad core i7? Obviously the assumption is with the same video card, ram, etc. Thanks

What you really want is a laptop with a Solid State Drive (SSD). To the average user, the difference between a quad core 2.8 or a 3.33 dual core won't be noticeable. But a solid state drive makes MASSIVE improvements in application and data loading times.
  • Reply 144 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackedpot View Post

These new iMacs are still missing multi-touch and Blu-Ray although this feature seems to be their answer to BluRay for now. Please give us multi-touch and with the convenient new release of Windows 7 coinciding it seems quite unfortunate.

You can download the 1080p Blu-ray rips from Torrent sites if that's your answer! I think that's why Apple don't want that overpriced licensing crap with weak copy protection in their Macs because they seen over 5,248 1080p Blu-Ray rips on torrent sites including G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs! These studios will realize how stupid they really are then breaking their necks to put HD Movies in iTunes because Apple's DRM on their movies really works! One thing for sure when studios realize their folly cost them billions! This will end in tears!
  • Reply 145 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

DisplayPort is not compatible with DVI/HDMI. Yes, there are $10 adapters but they only work when your connecting a computer with a DisplayPort output to a DVI/HDMI display. This only works because the video card is capable of generating a DVI compliant signal. The DisplayPort connector is simply a passthrough. This does not work the other way around.

DisplayPort as a standard is compatible with DVI/HDMI. We don’t know how the video in on the 27” iMac works. If it’s just the video input going to the monitor then it should pass along HDMI signaling to the display. This should bypass all other Mac computer parts and anything dealing with OS X. Will this work with the speakers? I doubt it, but we just don’t know it.

Quote:

Also, even with the $200 adapter, it still wont work with the iMac because there is no conversion adapter capable of supporting the native resolution of that display. If the iMac is like any other apple display, it probably lacks a scaling processor so it can't accept 1080p or 720p signals. The iMac can operate at different resolutions internally but this is scaling done by the GPU, and will not support scaling though external input.

We don’t know that yet. Apple states that the video input is compatible with DisplayPort. Since all Macs have mini-DisplayPort this statement is vague, but we can deduce that Apple’s use of DP over mini-DP here means that they are marketing this feature to be used with non-Mac devices.

Quote:

To plug something like a PS3 or any other DVI/HDMI device in, you would need a box that can convert the signal, AND scale it up to the displays native resolution. Some displays have this built in, Apple displays don't.

The DP spec was designed to understand HDMI. That doesn’t mean that Apple has included it, but it was designed to. You have no idea what this iMac was designed to do by looking at the 24” monitor that was clearly designed to connect of other Macs. The 27” iMac doesn’t have a mDP port, but a DP port, which means even if one oddly wanted to use it as a 2nd display for their notebook, they would still need an adapter. There is something else going on here that is outside the Mac bubble.
  • Reply 146 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

500,00 iMacs vs how many Blu-rays sold?

Blu-Ray fanboys need to Google 1080p torrents of their Blu-ray ripped movies! I'm saying this because these studios need to realize they need to put their movies in HD on iTunes because Apple DRM works on their movies! That Copy protection obviously isn't working! Yes I'm email this same info to George Lucas hopefully Star Wars Saga be in HD on iTunes next year!
  • Reply 147 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't know, no one is saying specifically the number of BR players sold in the last quarter. That may be because it wouldn't be anything to brag about.

First of all, don’t encourage him? Secondly, he’s comparing Blu-ray appliances to IMacs, but not all Macs, just 1/6 of all Macs. Third, iSuppli states that B-R sales in PCs are lackluster and will account for as much as 3.6% this year while speculating that by 2013 16.3% will all that will be had by B-R in PCs. That is over 4 years before the end of 2013 and over a year after the Mayan calendar ends.

With Apple already 10% of the market in the US that is pretty awful for B-R. Finally, I’ve read that half the number of B-R sales are for PS3s, which may or may not be even using the B-R player for movies as the primary focus.

B-R sales are way up, but they coming from pretty low numbers so it’s nothing but marketing spin at this point. When YoY the price of a player cuts in half but the increase in customers is only a fraction of that YoY then you can’t help but think there is a problem. We’ll have to see many quarters of severe upward trend to see that it’s a viable AND desirable optical drive for PCs. Even for home theater it’ll likely be bought as prices fall, but the convenience of digital downloads, streaming and cable/sat on demand services will cut into the optical media rental and purchase business that DVD was master of.
  • Reply 148 of 222
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post

... get rid of the visually offensive advertising from your site.

</rant>

Use ClickToFlash to get rid of the advertising.
  • Reply 149 of 222
    Given the new models still have glossy screens, I spent a big chunk of the day persuading people not to buy the new iMacs, just by demonstrating how bad the display reflection is.

I was able to discourage the purchase of 13 units for sure, including an order for 10 kebashed when the purchaser saw the situation.

Watching the 7 min video introducing the new iMacs, you can see of how much effort had to be put into photographing the displays in the limited way needed to downplay the screen reflections.

Can't shoot it head on, in the way people will use the display, because then people will see the camera doing the filming; always have to be off at and angle.

The narrator intones (as a selling point) the uniform brightness of the screen -- even as a bright line of room reflection sweeps across the screen, washing out half.

They even aligned everything so the room reflection would match the screen wallpaper lines and so be less obvious. But you can still see this on the stock photos; half the screen washed out, reflecting the white room background specially set up for the shot.

The narrator intones how the edge-to-edge screen puts the emphasis on "your content and nothing else" ... as more room reflections wash across the screen, obscuring its content.

Targeted for people who don't use computers as computers but instead over-priced media players, its unusable screen makes this another upgrade to skip for people who use computers as computers -- and Apple knows it since they had to work around it so hard to film their advertisement.
  • Reply 150 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Blu-Ray fanboys need to Google 1080p torrents of their Blu-ray ripped movies! I'm saying this because these studios need to realize they need to put their movies in HD on iTunes because Apple DRM works on their movies! That Copy protection obviously isn't working! Yes I'm email this same info to George Lucas hopefully Star Wars Saga be in HD on iTunes next year!

Spot-on!
  • Reply 151 of 222
    Here is iFixit’s 27” teardown. Maybe we can see how the DP video input connects to the monitor and if it connects to the speakers, too.
  • Reply 152 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galto123 View Post

Given the new models still have glossy screens, I spent a big chunk of the day persuading people not to buy the new iMacs, just by demonstrating how bad the display reflection is.

That's sad. I'm sure they will thank you later on.

In the mean time, I'am waiting for my 27inch iMac ...
  • Reply 153 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Cool! I look forward to their report.

Yeah, but that would mean bypassing the OS for the screen display while still having to use it just for audio, which seems sort of insane. I guess their might be some way of just using the audio circuitry, but it sure does seem like it would be easier to just enable the audio spec.

That of course assumes that they are bypassing the OS to use the screen passively, but if they're not it doesn't seem likely that any Blu-ray input would ever work, without system level HDCP (which OS X doesn't do, AFAIK), even allowing for the right adapters.

Bad news. iFixit?s teardown of the 27? iMac doesn?t show a separate DP video in as it could be interpreted on the Tech Specs page. It only has mDP, so maybe a special adapter must be used. One that isn?t yet available. Worse possible scenario is that it?s expensive, you can?t use the mDP out to a monitor at the same time, and it won?t show OS X while plugged in. Hopefully none of those are the case.
  • Reply 154 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Problem is that you'd need an non all-in-one as your new one.

nah mate this would be the second monitor - sweet
  • Reply 155 of 222
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

My friends and I have been doing this for a long time. HD specific torrent sites have been around for quite some time.

I mostly download 720p because true 720 looks frikkin' sexy. A hell of a lot better than "Apple 720p". All audio specs included as well. You can choose torrents with either DTs or AC3.

I'll probably start downloading 1080p though since I do have a 40" Sharp Aquos flat screen + PS3. Aquos and Bravia are the best here in Japan.

The reason I haven't been using 1080 is because my PS3 is only 40GB and my 2007 C2D Macbook fails miserably when playing 1080p out to the TV. Sometimes it hiccups even with 720p but rarely.

p.s. The new 27" is gorgeous in person. [And new MacBook]. MB is VERY solid.
  • Reply 156 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Use ClickToFlash to get rid of the advertising.

Yeah, ClickToFlash is great for getting rid of irritating Flam. Especially, since many sites have multiple Flam windows competing for your displeasure.

Most YouTube videos look better in the full screen QuickTime (desktop) option than full screen Flash HD and all its downsides.

• Reply 157 of 222
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The DP spec was designed to understand HDMI

Ok, I don't know why this is so difficult to understand....

There is a type of video signal, called DISPLAYPORT. This is a physical/electrical standard AND a standard by which information travels, out of a device and into a display. Then, you have DVI/HDMI which is another totally different standard by which information is sent to a display. They are like english and french. They are similar in some ways but not the same. If your display ONLY accepts DisplayPort as input then it wont understand DVI/HDMI signals.

DisplayPort was never designed to understand DVI signals. It was designed to pass them through so that you can connect device with a displayport connector, to a DVI display. When you connect a PC with displayport to a DVI display, the computer is sending a DVI signal though the displayport connector. This is because the connector was designed to do this, but only as a passthrough. DisplayPort was designed to passthrough all kinds of signals, but that doesn't make those signals part of the standard.

The source device, regardless of its physical connections, determines what type of signal it sends because its generating the signal. The device on the receiving end has to be able to support whatever type of signal you are sending to it. If the receiving device ONLY accepts displayport (like the 24 inch apple cinema display, and most likely the new iMac), then it does not accept HDMI, DVI, or VGA.

This is why you cant connect a DVI source to a displayport display. A device won't accept DVI signals, just because it supports displayport. They are completely different standards, both physically and electrically. The only reason that HDMI and DVI are cross compatible is because they use the same basic standard to send information, and they are electrically compatible.

Now, of course you could build a display that accepts DVI and DisplayPort, but it would require hardware to decode each different standard, just like displays with DVI and VGA plugs on them. TV's require even more hardware to convert all the different signal standards its expected to understand.

Apple displays, as far as I know have never had hardware like this in them.
  • Reply 158 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

My friends and I have been doing this for a long time. HD specific torrent sites have been around for quite some time.

I mostly download 720p because true 720 looks frikkin' sexy. A hell of a lot better than "Apple 720p". All audio specs included as well. You can choose torrents with either DTs or AC3.

I'll probably start downloading 1080p though since I do have a 40" Sharp Aquos flat screen + PS3. Aquos and Bravia are the best here in Japan.

The reason I haven't been using 1080 is because my PS3 is only 40GB and my 2007 C2D Macbook fails miserably when playing 1080p out to the TV. Sometimes it hiccups even with 720p but rarely.

p.s. The new 27" is gorgeous in person. [And new MacBook]. MB is VERY solid.

Your C2D macbook should be able to play 1080p. What kinds of codecs are you using? Sounds like a hardware acceleration problem to me.
  • Reply 159 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galto123 View Post

jeezzz dude... get some anti-glare film... or a life.

I think a few places sell anti-glare film for iMacs now.

http://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protective-Films.html

I mean, everybody is freaking out about this when we have been staring into glass CRT's for the past 50 f**king years with no problem.
  • Reply 160 of 222
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Your C2D macbook should be able to play 1080p. What kinds of codecs are you using? Sounds like a hardware acceleration problem to me.

The 720p and 1080p files have in the past mostly been mkv files [VLC]. Finally people are ripping Blu striaght to Mac [Perian] compatible AVI files. I may not even need Perian but I suspect I do.

I should add that the 1080p files are especially stingy when I connect my MB to the Aquos via mini DVI/VGA. It's like the MB thinks of the connection as an application and is alloting CPU to make it all work. Well technically the connection of these connectors DOES initialize display settings in the MB somehow. Not quite sure.