What features do you want in the iSlate?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Dave, you left out #41, a "beam me up Scotty" feature.

That is for rev 5.

Quote:

Seriously, I'm happy with my iPod Touch with the exception of the small screen, which makes web browsing less than ideal.

That is my feeling with iPhone. The screen is just to small for some uses.

Quote:

So I'd be easily satisfied if the new "iSlate" is nothing more than an iPod Touch on steroids. Besides the larger screen size I'd like to see longer battery life, at least 6 ? 7 hours, so you could use it on a transcontinental flight, a faster processor, and a realistic price point, say $499 for a 32MB model, $599 for 64MB and $699 for 128MB.

Most likely the pricing will be even better than that. At least for what you are asking for. Right now a 7" device shouldn't cost cost much more than $50 more than the equvalent current Touch. To keep the price up I suspect the base models will have a lot more Flash than you are indicating. I'm thinking minimal flash might be 128GB, that in a $500 class machine.

In any event I think reasonable pricing for this device is very possible. That due to Apples investment in SoC technology, new display tech and a bit more freedom with board and battery size.

Quote:

A dealer killer for me would be if a cellphone plan was needed.

This actually a big worry for me too and I most likely would want a 3G connection. However i don't want to be forced into a contract or a single supplier. For 3G I should be able to engage the most suitable local supplier no matter where I'm at. This is especially important for travelers where sim card swaps can save you a lot of money.

Dave
  • Reply 22 of 51
    I think that Apple's strategy should be to replace not only books and magazines, but also notepads and paper planners. Handwriting recognition and audio/video recording are must have. I'm imagining something like Evernote on a tablet would be great for any professional or student. Basically a device that can capture any type of information. Interesting that a 10" screen would make the device about the size of a standard size Franklin Covey planner.

I don't think it needs 3G or GPS built-in, Wifi and bluetooth are probably enough if it has the ability to tether to an iPhone. I wouldn't want to have to pay for another wireless subscription anyways.

Features:

- Stylus for handwriting but also multi-touch when not

- Swiveling camera for video conferencing or picture taking

- Dock for attaching a keyboard and mouse also placing the screen at at appropriate height when using at a desk
  • Reply 23 of 51
    I for one would LOVE to see Apple offer the "iSlate" without 3G cellphone connectivity--make it either 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi support or even offer a 100Base-T Ethernet port, which will save users potentially thousands of dollars per year in cellphone bill costs. Remember, a lot of places are offering free Wi-fi "hotspots," and they can be used to connect the "iSlate" to the Internet.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russgiro88 View Post

I think that Apple's strategy should be to replace not only books and magazines, but also notepads and paper planners. Handwriting recognition and audio/video recording are must have. I'm imagining something like Evernote on a tablet would be great for any professional or student. Basically a device that can capture any type of information. Interesting that a 10" screen would make the device about the size of a standard size Franklin Covey planner.

I don't think it needs 3G or GPS built-in, Wifi and bluetooth are probably enough if it has the ability to tether to an iPhone. I wouldn't want to have to pay for another wireless subscription anyways.

Features:

- Stylus for handwriting but also multi-touch when not

- Swiveling camera for video conferencing or picture taking

- Dock for attaching a keyboard and mouse also placing the screen at at appropriate height when using at a desk

All good ideas I'd like to see too.

Also, a built in mic to record interviews, lectures, etc., - a digital audio recorder.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I think the slate will be the first real push towards cloud computing. I think along with the slate announcement we'll also get a significant MobileMe feature enhancement. I don't think its a coincidence that Google made their Chrome OS announcement early. I think you'll see many of the same features in iSlate that Google plans for Chrome OS in terms of the cloud. I see a significant increase in storage space for MobileMe and a cloud based Time Machine for additional cost. This means that 3G is a must have. Maybe along with the different screen sizes you'll see different subsidized options for ATT and Verizon.

I also think this will be the first introduction of the Apple version of the P.A. Semi chip. Its been a year and a half since they purchased them and I'd argue that the iSlate was the very reason they made that move.

I think they'll also include a dock much like iPods and iPhones have. A stylus will be optional with the ability to change the size of the head through software, much like you can change the size of a brush in Photoshop.

The iSlate will obviously revolutionize print like magazines, newspapers, etc but it will completely revamp education. The device will be affordable and the SDK to create dynamic content will be easier to use than the iPhone with no need to learn Objective-C.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I think the slate will be the first real push towards cloud computing. I think along with the slate announcement we'll also get a significant MobileMe feature enhancement. I don't think its a coincidence that Google made their Chrome OS announcement early. I think you'll see many of the same features in iSlate that Google plans for Chrome OS in terms of the cloud. I see a significant increase in storage space for MobileMe and a cloud based Time Machine for additional cost. This means that 3G is a must have. Maybe along with the different screen sizes you'll see different subsidized options for ATT and Verizon.

If focused to tightly on the cloud I predict a massive failure. The simplest and first reason that comes to mind is many simply will not want to deal with the cost. Second is the utter lack of enough 3 or 4 G bandwidth to ever handle what you indicate above. Could you imagine what would happen if everybodies Time Machine back up fired off at the same time.

I'm a Mobile Me user in the sense that I do E-Mail and iDisk through them. But even with my 3G iPhone Mobile Me isn't always accessible. In fact I loose the connection everyday at work. If there is a hard tie to Mobile Me and cloud type computing the platform would be useless for me.

Quote:

I also think this will be the first introduction of the Apple version of the P.A. Semi chip. Its been a year and a half since they purchased them and I'd argue that the iSlate was the very reason they made that move.

Yes this certainly will be the coolest part of the whole device. How much you want to bet that they don't reveal much at all about the implementation.

Quote:

I think they'll also include a dock much like iPods and iPhones have. A stylus will be optional with the ability to change the size of the head through software, much like you can change the size of a brush in Photoshop.

That would be one big dock.

Quote:

The iSlate will obviously revolutionize print like magazines, newspapers, etc but it will completely revamp education. The device will be affordable and the SDK to create dynamic content will be easier to use than the iPhone with no need to learn Objective-C.

Well yes and no to the swipe at Objective C. First the SDK will be derived from iPhone and as such access to

the SDK will be with the Objective C tools. However I'm really hoping the platform comes with a scripting environment, either Python or Ruby, that allows for user development. Native apps would still be Objective C but those that don't need the performance or Apples distribution channel could be scripted. This would actually be of big benefit to Apple as it would remove the need to host free apps. So ideally we could have it both ways.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 51
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    So let me clarify what I meant

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If focused to tightly on the cloud I predict a massive failure. The simplest and first reason that comes to mind is many simply will not want to deal with the cost. Second is the utter lack of enough 3 or 4 G bandwidth to ever handle what you indicate above.

Its widely known that Jobs did not want a machine that was only good for surfing the net while on the can, right?. So, it has to have more features and processing power to do real work which means it won't be a device that is wholly based on the cloud. I just think it will be an excellent opportunity for them to add value to MobileMe while allowing users access to ALL their data as long as they're connected. This strategy is no different than what Google is doing with Chrome OS and Google netbooks. Apple doesn't have a netbook they have an iSlate with the same strategy.

Quote:

Could you imagine what would happen if everybodies Time Machine back up fired off at the same time.

I didn't mean to suggest that Time Machine in the cloud was only for iSlate to use over 3G. Clearly you wouldn't want to backup your entire iSlate over 3G. Carriers probably wouldn't allow it either. But again, I think as things move to the cloud its a great opportunity to start collecting subscription fees.

Quote:

I'm a Mobile Me user in the sense that I do E-Mail and iDisk through them. But even with my 3G iPhone Mobile Me isn't always accessible. In fact I loose the connection everyday at work. If there is a hard tie to Mobile Me and cloud type computing the platform would be useless for me.

Sync and HTML 5. Just because your data is in the cloud doesn't mean that its not accessible when not connected. You can sync data from the cloud to your iSlate, or you can use offline technologies. HTML 5, which will be standardized here in the next year or so, has built-in standards for offline web app use. If your data is available via browser then HTML 5 can make it available offline. Even without HTML 5, because Apple has their own browser, they can make any of their cloud technologies work offline in Safari fairly easily.

Quote:

Yes this certainly will be the coolest part of the whole device. How much you want to bet that they don't reveal much at all about the implementation.

If its a feature that gives them unmatched performance, battery life, etc... they'll reveal it

Quote:

That would be one big dock.

Why? You're not thinking outside the box here.

Quote:

Well yes and no to the swipe at Objective C. First the SDK will be derived from iPhone and as such access to

the SDK will be with the Objective C tools. However I'm really hoping the platform comes with a scripting environment, either Python or Ruby, that allows for user development. Native apps would still be Objective C but those that don't need the performance or Apples distribution channel could be scripted. This would actually be of big benefit to Apple as it would remove the need to host free apps. So ideally we could have it both ways.

Its not a swipe and I think you're assuming too much. My comment was directed towards the education and print market. There most likely will be separate app store and SDK with Objective-C at the heart for games and such. However, for print and especially education markets I think you'll see a new software application designed to create content for iSlate. Maybe make it part of iLife or more appropriately iWork. Instead of PowerPoint and Keynote slides teachers will create and distribute rich, interactive and vivid multimedia "text books", papers, projects, homework, etc to students. In order to create this content it would be unreasonable for Apple to ask, nor is it in Apple's style to expect your average person to learn Objective-C.

But, admittedly, my guesses here are probably more just hopes and wishes rather than reality
  • Reply 28 of 51
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    What chip do you think will be powering the iSlate? Will it be a custom chip made by that chip

company they bought awhile back or with they be going with Intel Atom?
  • Reply 29 of 51
    ? Plastic or carbon shell which is scratch and dent resistant so the thing does not require a protective case which causes it to be twice as thick and half a pound heavier

?Interface that is pressure sensitive with high sensitivity, so it can be written and drawn on like a Wacom tablet. Reintroduce a variant on the theme of the old Palm shorthand for quick note taking. Ideally it could also serve as an interface to a desktop Mac to replace the need for a Wacom tablet.

?Ability to connect to a larger display. If it could mirror as well as provide a separate display that would be even better. In a perfect scenario it could do this wirelessly, but for the near term a Display Port output would be desirable

? More than one USB port. I expect to see only one at most as with the Air, but more than one would be better. USB3 will make it a more useful tool but I don't expect that on Rev A

? RJ45 port for direct connection

? FireWire 800 port (wishful thinking)
  • Reply 30 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

How about an OLED screen with a smudge-free glass surface?

How about an Apple-ized color e-ink display for books and magazines that "magically" turns into an OLED screen for web browsing and apps? I'm no engineer, so I'll leave the technical parts of this to your imagination.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phoenix29 View Post

Anyone else seen Avatar. There is a scene where he swipes his entire computer screen with his hand onto a tablet and carries it into another lab. This would be cool if future Macs could do this with the tablet.

Yes, but the semi-transparent display surface would make those computers very difficult to use. They are the product of a Production Designer to look good on film. Not really practical. Still liked the movie though. Planning to see it again.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Maybe we'll get lucky and Apple will finally put the 2-way 'magic mirror' display/camera technology to good use. That would enable you to see the person on the other side at 100% scale without having to resort to looking away from your display into a visible camera. Could also explain some of the theorized uses of the term "magic" associated with this mythical product (..."ladies and gentlemen, introducing the uniCorn!").
  • Reply 33 of 51
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

• Plastic or carbon shell which is scratch and dent resistant so the thing does not require a protective case which causes it to be twice as thick and half a pound heavier

I think its going to be a plastic unibody mould, hopefully with the glass panel flush to the edges like an iMac. Maybe aluminium if they're feeling flush or can do it cheaply enough.

Quote:

•Interface that is pressure sensitive with high sensitivity, so it can be written and drawn on like a Wacom tablet. Reintroduce a variant on the theme of the old Palm shorthand for quick note taking. Ideally it could also serve as an interface to a desktop Mac to replace the need for a Wacom tablet.

Pressure sensitive like a Wacom would be nice, OS X already has a handwriting recognition - Inkwell.

Quote:

•Ability to connect to a larger display. If it could mirror as well as provide a separate display that would be even better. In a perfect scenario it could do this wirelessly, but for the near term a Display Port output would be desirable

•More than one USB port. I expect to see only one at most as with the Air, but more than one would be better. USB3 will make it a more useful tool but I don't expect that on Rev A

To minimise the holes in the machine - An iPod/iPhone type dock connection could have this built in, carrying the display signal, USB and power. Carrying on in a way from the Wacom idea, but have the Displayport two-way like the iMac, so it can connect to a mac as a 2nd monitor for it, or use an external screen as a second display. Then when its not in the dock, use adapters and cables for USB, video and accessories, like an iPhone or iPod touch.

Quote:

• RJ45 port for direct connection

Minimise the holes again - WiFi.

Quote:

• FireWire 800 port (wishful thinking)

Yep, wishful thinking .
  • Reply 34 of 51
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    My "wants" are simple:
    • 7" or 10" screen

• compatibility with iPhone/iPod Touch apps (pretty well established)

• 802.11n (only because faster is better )

• LOTS AND LOTS of content- magazines, local newspapers, movie/music subscription service

I love my iPod Touch and I'd love it more if the screen were bigger. While we're at it, let's make it double as a fully-functioning eBook reader and provide content for that. Done. Price it at $300 or less.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    If Apple came out with two versions of the iSlate, the iPhone version (3G+wifi) or the iTouch version

(wifi only) which would you choose? Also, if you already owned the iPhone and AT&T offered some

kind of deal like $10+$15 a month added to your phone bill for 3G service for you iSlate, would

you get it?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I'd go for the iTouch version myself. Don't have an iPhone now, don't see one in my immediate future due to the high cost of data plans here in Canada.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titeun View Post

One thing I think Apple will provide is a stylish aluminum dock that you sit the tablet in and it looks like an iMac looks so you can enjoy the tablet when you're at home or office. The dock could also support charging. If you have it at home you could also have the bluetooth keyboard to add functionality.

This would be the definitive feature to convince me to buy the 'iSlate'.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    What do you think the chances are of a colour e ink Pixel Qi screen? http://www.pixelqi.com/

Quote:

We are a fabless developer of a new class of screens that use standard LCD manufacturing materials and processes.

Our first product - a 10.1" screen is now available for mini-laptops, multitouch tablets and ebook readers. We recently started production.

The readability and legibility of our new screens rival the best epaper available today. What's new about our screens: fast video rate update (refresh), and fully saturated color at low pricing because we use standard manufacturing materials, processes and factories. Our screens use 1/2 to 1/4 the power of a regular LCD screen, and when integrated carefully with the device can increase battery life between charges by 5-fold. You can use our screens in laptops outside in bright sunlight. Look for this dramatic power savings in 2010.

The choice of the screens used in a computer, or any portable, can have a huge environmental impact. Pixel Qi screens meet the highest environmental standards and will be critical to new generations of green electronics.

• Reply 39 of 51
    Broad media codec support- it needs to be able to play every video file a Mac can play. Not just h.264 and Apple's .mov garbage.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    What do I want? Hmmmmm....

-10 inch screen with multitouch 2.0 or multitouch and someway to write/draw

-Long battery life

-3D gaming ability

-media consumption (eBook reader, music and video player

-web cam on the front, a second camera on the back

-Wifi/Bluetooth minimum, maybe Wimax or 3G option

-App store

-Basic media creation (taking notes, making sketches, a simple word processor)

-Optional dock for syncing and for using on a desk (with a BT keyboard)

-Priced between iPod touch and Macbook

That is all I can think of at the moment.