Verizon soaking high end Android buyers to make up for iPhone subsidies

Comments

• Reply 61 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Oh that's going on record. I can't believe someone would actually suggest that moving from a:

?*412MHz ARMv6 ARM11 CPU to an 800MHz ARMv7 dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU is not fundamental.

? 128MB eDRAM to 512MB LPDDR2-800 is not fundamental.

? 480x320 LCD that is not made as a single unit to a 960x640 that is made as a single unit with better colour gamut and LED backlight is not fundamental.

? GSM(GPRS/EDGE) (100Kbps) and WiFi (802.11b/g) (1.5Mbps) to UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA) (7Mbps) and 802.11(b/g/n) (30Mbps).

? 4GB NAND to 64GB NAND.

And of course that it just the tip of the iceberg off the top of my head without considering the memory bandwidth improvements , speed of the NAND, the efficiency of the components used, or any of the SW advancements in the device and accompanying ecosystem that set the iPhone as the most profitable and popular by mindshare handset after only a year on the market.

Nope, not a damn thing changed with it fundamentally¡ Except for all those those changes you repeated claimed would be the death of the iPhone that in turn became its greatest strength, like putting the antenna on the outside as the frame.

And all that has no obvious use to the end user, to techno geeks sure but to the average joe that buys these things, no.
  • Reply 62 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I wish I got paid for pointing out the obvious. If you can dispute what I wrote do so, but the facts are the facts, the iPhone has not fundmentally changed since its debut. Screen size, demensions, nothing.

Apple's massive innovation:

I don't know why every one wants it to radically change every year, the iPhone looks great and works even better, if you want a new screen size every year you have hundred on android. messing with the screen sizes can cause fragmentation i don't wanna have to deal with that, thats what i got a iPhone
  • Reply 63 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"It looks the same. It's obviously the exact same phone. I as a customer am stupid to make any determination beyond that. On a related note, I'm sure glad that I bought my G5 iMac in August 2004 because Apple didn't even update that until August 2007. Absolutely nothing about the iMac family changed in those three years, so it was great that I bought it when I did. I'm also glad that I bought my G4 PowerBook in January 2003, because Apple didn't update that until October 2008! Can you imagine that? For five years, people were buying the exact same computer! Absolutely nothing at all changed!"

Now think long and hard, troll. Do you really want that to be your argument? Because that's what you've said so far.

Really, you want to bring the Mac into the argument, with its whopping 9% market share over Windows machines? Really? While the robots were buying the same computer for years, PC manufactures were innovating forcing the Mac out of the market. The Mac was and always will be niche, way to prove my argument.

Oh, I love the personal insults, takes your already weak statement and makes it weaker.
  • Reply 64 of 238
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

What I see is Android having 44% of the market. That is one fact I see. I also predicted that in 5 YEARS iPhone would be niche, how does your 2011, fact driven chart have anything to do with that statement? Oh it doesnt. Lets see what that chart looks like this time next year??? Because a year ago that chart would have had Android at around 25%, so in 1 year it nearly doubled.

No dispute on the chart, but I think there was concern about your definition of "niche". I don't think anyone would characterize 28% as a niche, would you? Perhaps you would like to venture a WAG on the actual percentage of iphones in such and such a year?

Even if you do - this is a fool's errand, and accomplishes little, since WAG's are just that, and discouraged unless backed by reasonable data.
  • Reply 65 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

See. There's my point! Thank you Sector7.

The article's premise is very obviously bogus. Expensive Android phones couldn't possible be used to subsidise iPhones...

...in the US.

Now, how many of those daily 550,000 Android activations are happening in the good ol' US of A?
  • Reply 66 of 238
    Quote:

And all that has no obvious use to the end user

Oh, man. Man, you got us all, but it was worth it. *sigh* What a good laugh. Thanks for that.
  • Reply 67 of 238
    Quote:

He has no concern how a device works or integrates with his life, but how he can show it off to others. He's the kind of the guy that pays way too much for a gaming machine with neon lights and fake flames on the size of his acrylic PC desktop so he can show off some other delusional geeks.

Typical, can not form an honest argument so resort to personal attacks. Thumbs up. I guess since you have no facts to back your argument you will simply make things up and write assumptions??
  • Reply 68 of 238
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

And all that has no obvious use to the end user, to techno geeks sure but to the average joe that buys these things, no.

And most are near impossible to put on a spec sheet which is why the other companies scraping the barrel will have no interest in making the device as great as it could be. Instead they will go with a flashy design and some basic spec sheet upgrades that basic users can understand because their customers have no faith in them actually offering the best possible user experience.

Apple is the Rolls Royce of smartphones. Users don't need to know that the entire dashboard is milled from a solid piece of magnesium so prevent any creaking sounds when the body flexes in a turn, they just need to know the car runs silent.

Thats the difference in philosophies here. You don't get that most people want a great user experience. You think your ilk want to be able to measure your self worth by what device looks coolest or has the best superficial rating without actually understanding what it being measured. That's why you claimed Tegra 2 would so totally kick the iPad 2's ass yet it barely even bested the iPad 1, and not even in all tests.

Come back to reality. You find you like it.
  • Reply 69 of 238
    Quote:

If I only had a facepalm big enough to cover this statement.

for you and the "other"..

combine all flagships models from each OEM.

iphones outsells them how much? 10 to 1 maybe?

why are you so hypocrite (or so blindly ignorant)?

now..

combine all flagship models again..

they are outselled by low-end android smartphones combined by how much?

17 to 1?

inform yourself... seriously, that's sad.
  • Reply 70 of 238
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Typical, can not form an honest argument so resort to personal attacks. Thumbs up. I guess since you have no facts to back your argument you will simply make things up and write assumptions??

You are that kind of that guy. You have clearly expressed that you don't consider how a device works to be as important as how it looks to others.
  • Reply 71 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

No dispute on the chart, but I think there was concern about your definition of "niche". I don't think anyone would characterize 28% as a niche, would you? Perhaps you would like to venture a WAG on the actual percentage of iphones in such and such a year?

Even if you do - this is a fool's errand, and accomplishes little, since WAG's are just that, and discouraged unless backed by reasonable data.

I am saying in 5 years, Android will have the majority of the market and Apple will not. A simple prediction based on how fast Android is expanding its gap. Android has doubled in less than a year. It will be Mac/Windows all over again when it comes to phones. Even now though, 28% is not allot.
  • Reply 72 of 238
    Quote:

Really, you want to bring the Mac into the argument, with its whopping 9% market share over Windows machines? Really? While the robots were buying the same computer for years, PC manufactures were innovating forcing the Mac out of the market. The Mac was and always will be niche, way to prove my argument.

Oh, I love the personal insults, takes your already weak statement and makes it weaker.

yes.. niche, 9 %. never mind the fact that their share in new computers is at least 20 %, especially between "educated" people. never mind the fact that mac sales are exploding and all their competitors (maybe not asus) are stalled or sinking. nevermind that this is the same as porsche outselling toyota or fiat.

what a hypocrite. seriously. stop.
  • Reply 73 of 238
    Quote:

You are that kind of that guy. You have clearly expressed that you don't consider how a device works to be as important as how it looks to others.

Have I, where? I do not think I once expressed my personal opinion. Of course that would require you to actually read what is written and be able to form your own opinions.
  • Reply 74 of 238
    Quote:

It doesnt because Apple fixes its prices. Carriers CAN NOT sell the iPhone for anything different then what Apple allows it. Android on the other hand does not make these demands therefore the carriers are free to sell for whatever they can get. And right now they are getting paid. Android must be doing something right if people are willing to pay these obviouly high prices??

some people will buy anything, but i bet you none of these high end models sell half as many as any iPhone 4s

most android phones = cheap , bogo, free thats the marker share give them away and of course you're going to win market share
  • Reply 75 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbelkin View Post

...paying for the "best" Android phone at a higher price because you are so-anti Apple that you are willing to spend an extra hundred or two just to carry a "different" phone and that's fine, as long as you realize that is the ONLY REASON. That you are purposely paying extra for an inferior phone.

Same is my impression. Whenever I see those Android people I feel sorry for them. They pay crazy prices for phones, which lose 50% value within 3-4 months, are not upgraded to latest OS releases at all or many months too late. The UI is terrible, by any means, terrible.

Seeing a UI that ugly -fitting the ugly, uninspired look of their phones, reminds me that 60-70% of people really have no taste. Like with apparel, interior, arts, it's just like that. 60-70% of population are dumb and ugly, uninspired and though iPhones just will never reach market share > 40%. There has to be a phone for the failed people, for the ugly, for the tasteless. It's not bad, it's fine like it is. Because it allows some people to distinguish themselves. Beeing a phone for the masses is like being the TV show for the masses. You don't expect quality and taste there.

Apple should continue to address the people with taste. In most cases those are the people with the deep pockets. The relation between high profits and tasteful design is well clear. The iPhone once was the phone for the BETTER people. Now it certainly is the phone for the BEST people. iPhoners are certainly more intelligent and better looking than Androiders, a fact everyone can see in public. Just look at the people who carries what phone.

Also a fact that you never meet just ONE iPhone evangelist on an Android forum. Meanwhile its standard that Androiders populate iPhone forums and feel they have to spread their religion. Proof that these Androiders deeply feel their inferiority. So they have to compensate by bashing the phone of the successful and tasteful people.

But not our problem. Just keep spending 600$ for the top notch Android phones every 12 months, then selling them for 200$. Everyone needs some hobby.http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
  • Reply 76 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Actually it does, hence iOS's rise as a gaming platform.

So have you tried Infinity Blade 2?

It show's what developers can do with an OS that complements the hardware it's running on.

How's all the Microsoft Apps coming along on Android?

Have you seen all the one's Microsoft has been churning out for iOS over the last few weeks that are keys to enterprise markets.
  • Reply 77 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

yes.. niche, 9 %. never mind the fact that their share in new computers is at least 20 %, especially between "educated" people. never mind the fact that mac sales are exploding and all their competitors (maybe not asus) are stalled or sinking. nevermind that this is the same as porsche outselling toyota or fiat.

what a hypocrite. seriously. stop.

Ah thats right, only "educated" people buy Apple, everyone else must be stupid. And no, Mac does not have 20% market share, they barely have 6% worldwide market share but keep on guessing. I thought only "educated" people bought Apple?
  • Reply 78 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henniman View Post

Same is my impression. Whenever I see those Android people I feel sorry for them. They pay crazy prices for phones, which lose 50% value within 3-4 months, are not upgraded to latest OS releases at all or many months too late. The UI is terrible, by any means, terrible.

Seeing a UI that ugly -fitting the ugly, uninspired look of their phones, reminds me that 60-70% of people really have no taste. Like with apparel, interior, arts, it's just like that. 60-70% of population are dumb and ugly, uninspired and though iPhones just will never reach market share > 40%. There has to be a phone for the failed people, for the ugly, for the tasteless. It's not bad, it's fine like it is. Because it allows some people to distinguish themselves. Beeing a phone for the masses is like being the TV show for the masses. You don't expect quality and taste there.

Apple should continue to address the people with taste. In most cases those are the people with the deep pockets. The relation between high profits and tasteful design is well clear. The iPhone once was the phone for the BETTER people. Now it certainly is the phone for the BEST people. iPhoners are certainly more intelligent and better looking than Androiders, a fact everyone can see in public. Just look at the people who carries what phone.

Also a fact that you never meet just ONE iPhone evangelist on an Android forum. Meanwhile its standard that Androiders populate iPhone forums and feel they have to spread their religion. Proof that these Androiders deeply feel their inferiority. So they have to compensate by bashing the phone of the successful and tasteful people.

But not our problem. Just keep spending 600$ for the top notch Android phones every 12 months, then selling them for 200$. Everyone needs some hobby.http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

It must be hard to see all the inferior beings beneath your feet. If only other could be as awesome as you portray yourself. And you gained all this by simply buying an Apple product, man Apple has been marketing their products all wrong.
  • Reply 79 of 238
    Quote:

Ah thats right, only "educated" people buy Apple, everyone else must be stupid. And no, Mac does not have 20% market share, they barely have 6% worldwide market share but keep on guessing. I thought only "educated" people bought Apple?

i said "new" computers, "aka" new sales.. them they are "high-end machines". compare them. troll. obviously they won't (and shouldn't) have more than let's say 25%. mac's are high-end machines made for real work, not the "crappy" laptops. macs are cat's, the others are rats. it's also well know that educated people prefer macs. look at google for example.. blind troll.
  • Reply 80 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henniman View Post

Better people buy iPhones?

How exactly do you define "better people" ?

By the way, when you say things like "iPhoners are certainly more intelligent and better looking than Androiders" it makes you sound like an ignorant child.....