Verizon soaking high end Android buyers to make up for iPhone subsidies

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I was hoping you were stepping in to calm down the two who have decided to make this a personal fight rather than adding anything more of value.\

I could, I suppose.

Hey. You two. Unless either of you has an actual argument for either side, oughtn't you cut out the thinly-veiled name-calling?
  • Reply 222 of 238
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also, resolution doesn't matter as much as DPI.

Nope. PPI matters less and less as you approach the perception threshold. More resolution always helps usability as long as it's accompanied by a sufficient increase in display size.
  • Reply 223 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

That's useful, resort to using the typo as your only debate tactic. No fight left in you anymore, just childish nyah-nyah style whinghing. Face it you are out of ideas, out of time and totally out classed.

Got any content or are you going to continue with the thinly veiled ad homs? I'm plenty ready to answer and debate the thread topic, are you?

Sounds like you need a tissue. When you are wrong you are wrong, enjoy failure which I am sure you are used too.
  • Reply 224 of 238
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Sounds like you need a tissue. When you are wrong you are wrong, enjoy failure which I am sure you are used too.

You don't take a hint even from a moderator, do you? You had some points that at least required consideration. Now you've crawled down in the dirt with "the other one" trading yes am's, no I'm not's, and other schoolyard taunts. It doesn't help your arguments and isn't worth it.
  • Reply 225 of 238
    Quote:

You don't take a hint even from a moderator, do you? You had some points that at least required consideration. Now you've crawled down in the dirt with "the other one" trading yes am's, no I'm not's, and other schoolyard taunts. It doesn't help your arguments and isn't worth it.

When someone continues to mis-quote, take things out of context and generally shapes information to suit their purpose I will respond. This has zero to do with my debate and more to do with pointing out these facts. Regardless of my point or someone else's, when people start spreading FUD it needs to be delt with and if they get their feelings hurt and cry about it so be it. AS for moderators, not much I can do, it is apparant that they only moderate the opinions against Apple and let the robots go on personally attacking posters, calling them trolls and names. Go back through this thread, the term troll is used over and over and not once was it "moderated". A moderator will do as they please. As for my points being "considered" I am not posting to have my points "considered" by the all mighty, I am here to simply discuss technology and if somones logic is flawed or their comments flow with hypocracy, I will point that out but I digress, to the original article topic:

It is any business's right to sell something for as much as they can get for it, period. If consumers are willing to pay that price then why should they not sell at that price? This goes for any business. Apple does this and I applaud them for it. Once the sales of these phones start to drop off or a new one comes out they will go on sale. I am not sure how this comes as a suprise to anyone and honestly do not know how this can even be news.

NEWSFLASH:::::: Companies trying to make a profit. More at 11.
  • Reply 226 of 238
    Quote:

is all I can do. News flash your opinion and lack of computer knowledge does not constitute fact. I know many people feel 10X smarter once they buy an Apple product but it really is not true. If you honestly believe that NO innovations in computers have happened in the past few years I feel sorry for you in your little world.

Straight to the personal attacks. I love when you point out a trolls complete lack of knowledge. Trust me, I know far more about computers and technology than you ever will. All you have to do is read your posts here to understand your insight into the tech world is limited.

As for advancement on computers?

Processors? Yes. Profit goes to Intel.

OSes? Yes.

Profit goes to MS.

Interfaces? Minimal. Thunderbolt (Intel with first mover to Apple) looks cool but the USB is everything crowd will kill it.

HD? Minimal Increases to capacity. Profit goes to HD makers.

Motherboards? All most none. The one area the PC makers could do something

Laptop design? Except for Apple, minimal. Have you used trackpads on HP and Dell laptops? Dismal.

Case design? Do you consider neon lights an advancement?

So you have three areas of advancement for PCs. OSes (MS with a bit of Apple), Processors (Intel with some ARM tech coming on line) and Apple (with Mac Book Air, uni-body and iPad).
  • Reply 227 of 238
    Quote:

When someone continues to mis-quote, take things out of context and generally shapes information to suit their purpose I will respond. This has zero to do with my debate and more to do with pointing out these facts.

So what is an iPhone 4G?

You don't have many "facts" to back up any of your rants. Most is just made up hyperbola.
  • Reply 228 of 238
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryV View Post

Galaxy Nexus has 1280x720 or 50% more resolution than the iPhone4/4S 960x640

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not the point he was making. Also, resolution doesn't matter as much as DPI.

Well the botton line is that resolution matters to a threshold, then out doesn't anymore. More resolution is better until you pass past the physically resolvable pixel size at slightly less than normal viewing ranges.

Apple's Retina Display displays have passed the threshold, so increases in resolution are largely irrelevant until they at least double the dot pitch which will be enough to get your face significantly closer before you can see dots.

The only technical issue that can really be brought up is the there will be some VERY small artifacts in scaling a 720p image on a non 720 line display. You will be able to find the artifacts in screenshots on a fixed side by side comparison, it would be very unlikely that you could see them in realtime under anything even then only under ideal viewing conditions. Videophiles may argue they can see it, but then you have to ask what it means for a videophile to be arguing about a phone screen when they keep arguing you need larger screen sizes (50"+ at ~8 feet) to get proper visual field dynamics.
  • Reply 229 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Straight to the personal attacks. I love when you point out a trolls complete lack of knowledge. Trust me, I know far more about computers and technology than you ever will. All you have to do is read your posts here to understand your insight into the tech world is limited.

As for advancement on computers?

Processors? Yes. Profit goes to Intel.

OSes? Yes.

Profit goes to MS.

Interfaces? Minimal. Thunderbolt (Intel with first mover to Apple) looks cool but the USB is everything crowd will kill it.

HD? Minimal Increases to capacity. Profit goes to HD makers.

Motherboards? All most none. The one area the PC makers could do something

Laptop design? Except for Apple, minimal. Have you used trackpads on HP and Dell laptops? Dismal.

Case design? Do you consider neon lights an advancement?

So you have three areas of advancement for PCs. OSes (MS with a bit of Apple), Processors (Intel with some ARM tech coming on line) and Apple (with Mac Book Air, uni-body and iPad).

You initially said "no" advances and static on the way to the bottom and now you point out three significant ones??? Which is it? You can not have both to suit your argument.

PS - Since you apparently can know everything there is about someone by reading a thread, you happen to have the lottery numbers?

Insert stuck up voice here "Trust me, I know far more about computers and technology than you ever will" How do you high five yourself?
  • Reply 230 of 238
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Well the botton line is that resolution matters to a threshold, then out doesn't anymore. More resolution is better until you pass past the physically resolvable pixel size at slightly less than normal viewing ranges.

Apple's Retina Display displays have passed the threshold, so increases in resolution are largely irrelevant until they at least double the dot pitch which will be enough to get your face significantly closer before you can see dots.

The only technical issue that can really be brought up is the there will be some VERY small artifacts in scaling a 720p image on a non 720 line display. You will be able to find the artifacts in screenshots on a fixed side by side comparison, it would be very unlikely that you could see them in realtime under anything even then only under ideal viewing conditions. Videophiles may argue they can see it, but then you have to ask what it means for a videophile to be arguing about a phone screen when they keep arguing you need larger screen sizes (50"+ at ~8 feet) to get proper visual field dynamics.

Be careful too when referring to DPI and PPI as tho they're interchangable. They are not the same.
  • Reply 231 of 238
    Quote:

I don't know WTF is going on in this thread anymore. Who's getting moderated? Who's not. You seem to think one set of folks is and the moderating post was directed at a different response line that had nothing to do with what you are responding to here. And if you think that's confusing its because it flat out is.

That's part of the problem, this place is devolving into bad old Ars now that Ars actually moderates (at least as far as I have read, I still won't go back there it was so bad before.)
  • Reply 232 of 238
    Quote:

So what is an iPhone 4G?

You don't have many "facts" to back up any of your rants. Most is just made up hyperbola.

Considering you are superior both in knowledge and tech know how to me, I figured you, of all people, would understand that the photo I showed was a simple photo I found on the internet, imbedded into my thread to simply show 4 iphones lined up with each other and not a photo that I personally made myself. Guess I was wrong. You may want to give back your self title of "tech super star". Thats internet 101 stuff right there. On top of missing the whole point that the photo was demonstrating, that the iPhone has not fundementally changed in appearance since its inception, you jump right to something irrelevant to the discussion, bravo, I bow down to your superiority, you sure showed me.
  • Reply 233 of 238
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:

You initially said "no" advances and static on the way to the bottom and now you point out three significant ones??? Which is it? You can not have both to suit your argument.

PS - Since you apparently can know everything there is about someone by reading a thread, you happen to have the lottery numbers?

Insert stuck up voice here "Trust me, I know far more about computers and technology than you ever will" How do you high five yourself?

Unless you quote mine. "Simple: PCs have not advanced really in years.

Profit has gone to MS and Intel. The only real advancement has come in new OSes and faster processors. Look at most Dells from 15 years ago and it looks like most any Dell from today."

Does not mean there has been no advancement but the advances have been slow except in from the companies that showed good profit. Mostly Intel and MS.

Learn to read and comprehend.

I can read your posts and understand that most 6th graders know more about technology and business than you do. It really is that simple. You show an amazing inability to grasp simple concepts like profit being the driving force for sustainability.

Right, marketshare, the only market business's care about.

That claim of yours made me actually laugh. Are you serious? Do you really believe that? If you do, how can any of your next views be taken seriously?

You claim nothing on the iPhone has changed:

the iPhone has not fundmentally changed since its debut. Screen size, demensions, nothing.

Of course, this is an outright lie. Nothing has changed? Really? Software is static? iPhone is using the same processor? Resolution is unchanged? RAM is unchanged? ROM is unchanged? The same exact sensors are in place? The iPhone had CDMA? Battery life? Weight? Size (Yes that are size changes). Software? Installable applications?

Are you really sure that nothing has essentially changed? Nothing at all? Or is this just a straight out lie and fabrication? The fact Apple got so much right on their first iteration is a testament to its design. The fact that Google got so much wrong on their first tries is a testament to their failure of design.
  • Reply 234 of 238
    Quote:

Considering you are superior both in knowledge and tech know how to me, I figured you, of all people, would understand that the photo I showed was a simple photo I found on the internet, imbedded into my thread to simply show 4 iphones lined up with each other and not a photo that I personally made myself. Guess I was wrong.

Why not make one your self? Are you capable? Could you actually have fixed the one you did post? I guess you have no trouble posting fully fictional and incorrect data so long as it supports your religious views.

Did you ever think that a blog or post that had such glaring errors might not be a good source of information to form you narrow minded world views?
  • Reply 235 of 238
    Quote:

Unless you quote mine. "Simple: PCs have not advanced really in years.

Profit has gone to MS and Intel. The only real advancement has come in new OSes and faster processors. Look at most Dells from 15 years ago and it looks like most any Dell from today."

Does not mean there has been no advancement but the advances have been slow except in from the companies that showed good profit. Mostly Intel and MS.

Learn to read and comprehend.

I can read your posts and understand that most 6th graders know more about technology and business than you do. It really is that simple. You show an amazing inability to grasp simple concepts like profit being the driving force for sustainability.

Right, marketshare, the only market business's care about.

That claim of yours made me actually laugh. Are you serious? Do you really believe that? If you do, how can any of your next views be taken seriously?

You claim nothing on the iPhone has changed:

the iPhone has not fundmentally changed since its debut. Screen size, demensions, nothing.

Of course, this is an outright lie. Nothing has changed? Really? Software is static? iPhone is using the same processor? Resolution is unchanged? RAM is unchanged? ROM is unchanged? The same exact sensors are in place? The iPhone had CDMA? Battery life? Weight? Size (Yes that are size changes). Software? Installable applications?

Are you really sure that nothing has essentially changed? Nothing at all? Or is this just a straight out lie and fabrication? The fact Apple got so much right on their first iteration is a testament to its design. The fact that Google got so much wrong on their first tries is a testament to their failure of design.

Fundamentally, look it up. Once you can figure out what that means everything else falls into place and your whole diatride (though entertaining) is irrelevant. Pity. Still, I find it humorous you took all that time to type that out and you missed the whole point. Did you bang your keyboard as you wrote it? I sense hostility :0 :0 :0 That is ok though, I enjoy reading your rants and envision you banging away on your keyboard, hitting up Google for "facts" to appear smart and eagerly trying to finish your comment, only to be shot down by a few sentences. Oh and an emoticon to top it off because no true "response" is complete without one.
  • Reply 236 of 238
    Quote:

Why not make one your self? Are you capable? Could you actually have fixed the one you did post? I guess you have no trouble posting fully fictional and incorrect data so long as it supports your religious views.

Did you ever think that a blog or post that had such glaring errors might not be a good source of information to form you narrow minded world views?

I figured I wouldnt have to hold someones hand regarding the graphic. As you have proven though I was mistaken, here is my hand take hold, I will guide you through the tough spots, there you go, get it, no, well than no one can help you but yet you are somehow superior to all that you survey.

This may be more your speed:

http://www.hellokittyuniverse.com/thread

Enjoy, I am off to find a thread with some relivance in it. I am sure you will bang out another "fact" laden thread and will probably spell everything correctly, have fun with that, I put the puppet strings away, I concede to your superior knowledge /s
  • Reply 237 of 238
    Quote:

Hey, @Hellacool has consistently shown a pattern of posts that ignore fact and logic. He's been repeatedly called on it by three of us now in this thread. The pattern will only devolve into more of his hollow name calling.

We have a fully developed troll in our midst, maybe we should just agree his posts have been uniformly incorrect and inflammatory and just let him spin in the wind from here on out.
  • Reply 238 of 238
    Quote:

Fundamentally, look it up. Once you can figure out what that means everything else falls into place and your whole diatride (though entertaining) is irrelevant. Pity. Still, I find it humorous you took all that time to type that out and you missed the whole point. Did you bang your keyboard as you wrote it? I sense hostility :0 :0 :0 That is ok though, I enjoy reading your rants and envision you banging away on your keyboard, hitting up Google for "facts" to appear smart and eagerly trying to finish your comment, only to be shot down by a few sentences. Oh and an emoticon to top it off because no true "response" is complete without one.

So when all your lies are uncovered, your lack of insight and knowledge is proven...

You just cry off. Good riddance. Go lie about stuff you know nothing about someplace else.

Have fun stealing others art work.