Apple building YouTube support into Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    I just wanted to mention that there is already a similar interface for uploading videos to YouTube directly from iMovie already in place, as mentioned once in the topic. Here's a screenshot from iMovie '08:

• Reply 42 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

What happens if Silverlight from Microsoft overtakes Flash and becomes the standard on the web?

then youtube would probably use it
  • Reply 43 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is all leading up to YouTube video upload integration on the iPhone.... yes?
  • Reply 44 of 87
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is all leading up to YouTube video upload integration on the iPhone.... yes?

Over that precious 3-4 G of beloved carriers of ours With their uplink speed OMG Won't it span the whole iPhone's battery life
  • Reply 45 of 87
    I wonder what Adobe did to piss Steve Jobs off.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I believe it is leading to video integration wih iPhone. Forgetting the currently published features found in the new software there are hints in it that show it's on the way, in the YouTube app.

The iPhone is looking more as a media retrieval device now, with a camera and the new audio recording app. It appears Apple's placing the iPhone as kind of their media retrival system, and placing the mac as their media editing area...

Or maybe it's just me ...
  • Reply 47 of 87
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

this should be part of iTunes functionality... That seems logical, doesn't that? Otherwise, why no support for Dailymotion.com is planned?

Apple is a very prudish company. Everything has to be as happy, smiling and non-sexual as a Sears catalogue photo-shoot for them.

They won't support Dailymotion because it doesn't won't censor like YouTube does.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    Super happy... so does this mean that the screen saver won't kick on while I'm watching longer videos on YouTube? I sure hope so.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Apple SOOOO wants DVD to die. I can't think of any other reason this would be built directly into Quicktime X rather than allowing a 3rd party (like youtube) to handle it.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Super happy... so does this mean that the screen saver won't kick on while I'm watching longer videos on YouTube? I sure hope so.

So why don't you set your mouse up to never turn on the screensaver when you put the mouse in a screen corner? The options to do this are in the screensaver preference dialog. This way whenever your watching that movie you just put the mouse in that corner and the screensaver will never come on.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    flowneyflowney Posts: 53member
    The article describes the process as including:

"converting the movie into a file optimized for the video sharing service"

Does that mean it gets converted to Flash? Flash 10 supports H.264 so that is no longer a defining attribute.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I think at that point Jesus would have returned, Hell would be frozen over, and Balmer would be going for sex-change surgery so we'd all have a lot more to think about than Silverlight.

hehe
  • Reply 53 of 87
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beg View Post

I'm not even sure Microsoft has enough money to pay off everyone to use Silverlight. They have a huge way to go to even make a dent since flash is so entrenched.

Even when they do pay off someone to use Silverlight it doesn't seem to last long. Such as the MLB.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10098963-93.html

Best care scenario for video IMO is that all these flash sites start using h.264 on the backend to drive their flash players and they are smart enough to serve up the h.264 to iPhone users (having a link/parameter switch to play the h.264 on OS X would be nice also).

I think the 10 tonne elephant that is sitting in the room people are ignoring is this: you can only create silverlight based content on Windows. Flash has multiplatform tools (Windows and Mac OS X - plus third parties) where as Silverlight is Windows only.

If Microsoft wish to be taken serously then they need to make their Expression Suite available for Mac OS X - since that isn't going to happen anytime soon I don't see Silverlight taking off anytime soon apart from within the corporate environment and a few niche scenarios.
  • Reply 54 of 87
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Sounds like a very nice idea.

Can't wait for Snow Leopard to be released...

• Reply 55 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Apple SOOOO wants DVD to die. I can't think of any other reason this would be built directly into Quicktime X rather than allowing a 3rd party (like youtube) to handle it.

I would go so far as to say, "Apple SOOOO wants [optical drives as standard in your computer] to die."
  • Reply 56 of 87
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would go so far as to say, "Apple SOOOO wants [optical drives as standard in your computer] to die."

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I see no reason why the Superdrive shouldn't become an optional item. Sure ...I'd expect to hear the same whining that accompanied the first iMac's demotion of the floppy drive but the writing is on the wall.

Optical is out.

My mouth waters at what could replace that space hog optical drive. More drive bays

or more external port expansion. 3G and LTO hardware or more space for internal components for better heat dissipation.

We'll see how the whole legal battle between the MPAA and Real over DVD ripping turns out but shoving plastic discs into my computer seems so pedestrian and 20th century.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    YouTube? That's, like, so 2008.

The question is will Snow Leopard built-in support for Twitter? Get with it, people!
  • Reply 58 of 87
    I hope this also signals Front Row getting the same YouTube access that Apple TV has. That would be fabulous!
  • Reply 59 of 87
    jaspojaspo Posts: 8member
    xxxxx
  • Reply 60 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I see no reason why the Superdrive shouldn't become an optional item.!

From Apple's PoV I see a reason for not allowing it to be an optional, removable item. They'd have to make some room for the removal system which they can't afford to spare and they'd loose that slick seamless look which they won't do. In this day and age I say they should make it an optional external item like the MBA.

Quote:

My mouth waters at what could replace that space hog optical drive. More drive bays

or more external port expansion.

A bit off topic, but I if the next MB and MBP have a non-user replaceable battery we may see more ports added to them. Like an additional USB and a FW800 because they could build farther down the sides if they aren't trying to make it look clean and simple when you pop the cover. Here's hoping.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

I hope this also signals Front Row getting the same YouTube access that Apple TV has. That would be fabulous!

I think Apple has pretty much let Front Row die a slow death like Sherlock. It seems like it was only there to prepare for the AppleTV interface.