Apple building YouTube support into Snow Leopard

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would go so far as to say, "Apple SOOOO wants [optical drives as standard in your computer] to die."

Great, and what are they going to replace installing an operating system with? If they're going to do it; then they should atleast do it in a way like how Thinkpad does it with their ultrabay. so that people can swap it out for something else.

I for one do not want to trade a optical drive for nothing - and find that re-installing Mac OS X is going to cost me extra or an inconvenience; unless of course you're advocating Apple to start shipping Mac OS X installation on a WORM (Write Once Read Many) thumb drive lol
  • Reply 82 of 87
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple used the same marketing against MS

its got to do what you want, view wanted video's

how about making a better youtube for both iphone and os x

better search options, channels, series

youtube is terrible for searching through all the crap video's of dingdongs dancing, singling

try to find some history channel , or science channel, discovery, and the series, most are cut up to 8-10minute sequences give the whole thing

youtube search sucks

that's why hulu will win and youtube is minimized
  • Reply 83 of 87
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Great, and what are they going to replace installing an operating system with? If they're going to do it; then they should atleast do it in a way like how Thinkpad does it with their ultrabay. so that people can swap it out for something else.

I for one do not want to trade a optical drive for nothing - and find that re-installing Mac OS X is going to cost me extra or an inconvenience; unless of course you're advocating Apple to start shipping Mac OS X installation on a WORM (Write Once Read Many) thumb drive lol

He said "as standard" I don't think any of us want to have no optical drive at all for our computer but the relative low usage for many of us opens the door for asking "why shouldn't I just have a nice single external drive that I can hook up to any computer for installation.

I wouldn't rule out Apple moving to Software Update upgrades for full OS releases in the future as an option.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

He said "as standard" I don't think any of us want to have no optical drive at all for our computer but the relative low usage for many of us opens the door for asking "why shouldn't I just have a nice single external drive that I can hook up to any computer for installation.

I wouldn't rule out Apple moving to Software Update upgrades for full OS releases in the future as an option.

Dear god I hope not - I certainly don't want to see operating system upgrades via software update; I want to be able to do a clean install.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Dear god I hope not - I certainly don't want to see operating system upgrades via software update; I want to be able to do a clean install.

Cheap computers form HP, Sony and Dell like to do, but having a secret partition with Mac OS X install files waiting for an update would allow you to do a clean install. I highly doubt that Apple would ever wait your HDD like that.

However, would be more useful is to have the installer create a partition dynamically, put the install files on that partition temporarily, restart and install (which is mainly just a copying to the other local partition) and then removing the partition when it's complete. This is how I install Snow Leopard and it takes less than minutes from start to finish and I don't have to waste my time and money on DL-DVDs.

But that won't happen either. For starters, there are files that prevent Disk Utility from making partitions. Most notably are Parallels and VMWare, which lock heads or cylinders so files can't be moved if they are in the wrong place. Unless Apple has a surefire way to prevent that anomaly that would never use that method.

But NAND would be possible, albeit still prohibitively expensive for the needed 8GB stick, though the MBA would be a prime candidate for this. Since the MBA is an expensive, optical drive-free machine that could easily eat the cost of the drive I don't see Apple going this route either.

But I also haven't seen any evidence of Apple moving to Blu-ray drives. The 9.5mm tray-loading BRDs are $600 as an add on from other vendors and Apple hasn't even included HDC support for their current or future OS, so that is looking pretty slim at this point. Will this be a big reveal come next month's WWDC?

Apple is a tough spot, DVD has no many limitations all around, BRD are expensive and with their own set of lackluster limitations with speed, capacity and energy efficiency. Yet the best alternative to installing your OS is still too expensive.

Apple has been holding their position for a long time and according to my findings the only BRDs that are thin enough for their notebooks only came out earlier this year, after their last revisions... and those are still the tray loading drives. Historically, drives have lost speed and increased in price with a slot-loading alternative. But why not the Mac Pro with it's full size drive or at least HDCP support so external BRDs can be used for those few? The licensing has changed so that part of "a bag of hurt" is now diminished. I think Apple's pushing the blame solely on the licensing is only the partial truth.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    What about a scenario in 10.7 or so where

Time Machine (TM) is in revision 3 and could be based on ZFS or something like it.

If it's rock solid then Software Update (SU) could facilitate a clean install by verifying

the TM backup and then wiping the drive and installing a fresh copy.

The next step would be to merge files and preference settings back into the fresh install.

While this would be a bit techy for those used to shoving a plastic disc in an DVD drive Apple

would incentive people to do this SU method by offering the new upgrades for $99 for a single

and a Family License would be $129.

Apple knows people are bootegging the OS so they may as well do a little social engineering and

try to migrate people over to a safe SU upgrade. Now keep in mind 10.7 isn't going to be on the roadmap until 2011 so with the current broadband rollouts and Apple's focus on making Leopard svelte and "Calista Flockhart" sized a 4GB download in 2011 on avg broadband is probably a 20 minute endeavor or less.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What about a scenario in 10.7 or so where

Time Machine (TM) is in revision 3 and could be based on ZFS or something like it.

If it's rock solid then Software Update (SU) could facilitate a clean install by verifying

the TM backup and then wiping the drive and installing a fresh copy.

The next step would be to merge files and preference settings back into the fresh install.

While this would be a bit techy for those used to shoving a plastic disc in an DVD drive Apple

would incentive people to do this SU method by offering the new upgrades for $99 for a single

and a Family License would be $129.

Apple knows people are bootegging the OS so they may as well do a little social engineering and

try to migrate people over to a safe SU upgrade. Now keep in mind 10.7 isn't going to be on the roadmap until 2011 so with the current broadband rollouts and Apple's focus on making Leopard svelte and "Calista Flockhart" sized a 4GB download in 2011 on avg broadband is probably a 20 minute endeavor or less.

Even if every machine came with 2 HDDs, there will be many (myself included) that would rather use ZFS to make a large fast drive. HDD failures are uncommon enough that I think that most would rather have the additional data storage over the redundant array. I still back up, I just plug in an external 1TB drive occasionally to do it.

If 10.7 Sabertooth (Mac OS X would be getting a bit long in the tooth by then ) could fit into 4GB then having a NAND thumb drive in 2011 would be financially viable as they are as low as $5 right now. And such drives don't have to be small and highly portable. They can use older NAND tech and still would be super fast compared to an optical disk or internet based installation.

I like the idea of internet based installations of an OS with a pre-boot system on Macs but I think the unknown variables would be too great that even if initiated Apple would have to make a secondary option for a very long time before it could become standard.