Apple launches Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on Mac App Store for $29.99

Comments

• Reply 81 of 183
    In the end it downloaded fast once it got going..

Anyone got a link to a site that explains how to burn a dvd image of the app store version release? Thanks.
  • Reply 82 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

OK, just pointed my remote to my computer and pressed 'Menu' - nothing happened. I know there are people who never used FrontRow. I did and I think was of some use.

I don't have Lion yet, but yeah, the reports say Front Row is gone. I'm with you, I thought it was kind of nice. Maybe someone will come along and make a nice app as a replacement...?
  • Reply 83 of 183
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I downloaded it this mourning on my MPB 15 and it trashed the hardrive on install. I had to do a clean install and re-format..... Thank god I put all of my files on a NAS drive for safe keeping....

I'll have to re-load VMWare and MS Office, but it won't be that painful....

I have two Mac Minis and one 13" MBP to go.... ( A little more worried )

This was the first Apple update to ever give me trouble......
  • Reply 84 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technet View Post

Anyone got a link to a site that explains how to burn a dvd image of the app store version release? Thanks.

Sorry - I can answer my own question now for anyone else curious..

Look here - http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post1904625
  • Reply 85 of 183
    Quote:

Maybe someone will come along and make a nice app as a replacement...?

http://www.plexapp.com/

http://xbmc.org/download/
  • Reply 86 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The new scroll bars are ... interesting. ...

This is also my least favourite feature. I just find them kind of ugly and don't really see the point of making them invisible.
  • Reply 87 of 183
    Quote:

Sorry - I can answer my own question now for anyone else curious..

Look here - http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post1904625

You linked back to your own comment.
  • Reply 88 of 183
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1904126]Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's highly anticipated next-generation operating system, is now available to purchase on the Mac App Store for $29.99, weighing in at 3.49GB]

Apple Store download took about 1 1/2 hours plus 1 hr install on 2 yr old MacBook Pro. Only slight hiccups on download (two minor retrys) - basically a pleasant experience if you have a bit of patience.
  • Reply 89 of 183
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ohcomeon View Post

Are you sure it qualifies. I bought a Mac Mini Server on 7th June and found it's not in the list of qualifying Macs

Eligible... It's a new 2011 27" iMac
  • Reply 90 of 183
    Quote:

I asked pretty much the same question a couple of days ago and was referred here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/

It's instructions for making a USB drive, but you can do the same for DVD or SD card, I understand.
  • Reply 91 of 183
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is also my least favourite feature. I just find them kind of ugly and don't really see the point of making them invisible.

So go into system preferences and change how they work...
  • Reply 92 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

So go into system preferences and change how they work...

Not using Lion yet.
  • Reply 93 of 183
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonbutler View Post

Aha, now I see a download progress bar in the App Store icon at the bottom of my screen. If it's accurate, this is a pretty slow download.

Yeah, at one hour in my download I have 1.92 Gb downloaded out of 3.74 Gb total. Pretty slow for my connection.
  • Reply 94 of 183
    shiishii Posts: 5member
    I have installed it on my mbp... I could not even imagine it would go so wrong.

1. Boot time changed from unmeasurable (3 dots on "boot wheel") to 24 seconds counted from when EFI ends until background shows up. Cleaned up everything, rebooted few times, no change to that.

2. can't move applications how I want. like chess to games folder, unused small software to utilities folder. OS just refuse to move or delete.

3. some of my applications are now not usable saying can't open powerpc applications. well, they are not

4. forced no scrollbars, looks nice indeed, but apps like vnc are unusable without fullscreen

And then test server update:

1. after update, stuck in white screen. after hard reboot, showed "click to setup your server". without any ability to connect remotely... this is not acceptable for server version.

2. server kicked out of OD even trough it was a replica

3. new "server" app is so simplified that its absolutely useless

4. many services has beed completly removed

5. profile manager (account manager) has been remade as web app so in case of problem with web server you can't do anything

6. and yeah, few weird things like disappeared stack for applications and vanished startup services

Still searching for Open directory, update and mysql services but I'm assuming the worse

Good thing I have test server available, still rollback will be pain.

So if you have OSX server, think twice before updating it.

PS: I was charged twice for lion update on same account.
  • Reply 95 of 183
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    for anyone using older iMac. i have 2007 iMac 2.33 with 4 gigs ram that only uses 3 gigs. i do have a 10k drive upgrade but lion works perfectly smooth and at least as fast as sl. i am still indexing and getting used to it but so far i am totally pleased with speed and function. so if you have older machine hopefully you will have same good experience
  • Reply 96 of 183
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

But is it snappier?

Seriously. My old iMac barely meets the minimum specs and SL really seemed to slow it down. With all the (useless IMO) eye candy in Lion I'm thinking it would bog it down even further.

Would be interested on seeing some actual before and after benchmarks on older systems.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4485/b...lion-review/23
  • Reply 97 of 183
    acgoodacgood Posts: 3member
    I have a iMac running 10.6 and a Macbook running 10.5..If I buy the download on the iMac can I install Lion on the laptop as well? Or am I stuck buying the thumb drive version?
  • Reply 98 of 183
    If anyone's had Logic 9 Pro running (especially interested on an iMac 27" Core2duo 3.06ghz) I'd love to know if it runs properly as this is the biggest hold back for me.
  • Reply 99 of 183
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I've been downloading for 5 hours and the progress bar is only half-way.
  • Reply 100 of 183
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

That only removes APP store applications. You can no longer remove any other icons.

In Dock Click On An App Then Options Then Remove From Dock.