Microsoft faces iPad, iWorks without articulated plan for Windows 8 Office

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

So lemme see...

It is OK for Apple to keep everything a secret until they release new features. But Microsoft is required to spell everything out to DED a year in advance?

Dude, grab some popcorn, don't get wrapped up around the axel... and watch the show.

He'll be grotesquely obese, by the time he eats that much popcorn.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

How did Digler manage to eek ....

• Reply 25 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

I've installed Windows 8 on a VM, and while I know it is a very early preview, I predict Microsoft will be joining Borland, Novell, Lotus, etc. pretty soon. I think that when Apple attacks the enterprise market in a meaningful way, the MS death bell will start to ring. Tiles? Really?

buahahahahahaha. Comencing attack w/o a server version of your OS. Good luck!
  • Reply 26 of 127
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm sure that is the plan. Though its quite stupid to completely ignore $200 million potential customers with your best selling product.

Perhaps too they want to get solid footing into the tablet market before releasing an iOS version of Office.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

It's possible that they don't want to bring Word and Excel to iOS simply because Microsoft want to release their own tablet version later. They can then market Windows 8 tablet as the only tablet that has full support for Word & Excel. Of course, it's hard to ignore all the iOS users that can potentially use Office on their iPad.

• Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:

Just another slow news day with a contractual obligation for page count....

More importantly, for a guy who always seems to be asking for evidence, how about one for the existence of such a contract?
  • Reply 28 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

How about this for a news story idea...

Why did AAPL pop 2.5% today when the broader markets fell almost 1%??

Excellent point. I've been wondering about that too.

I wonder if it's the market's assessment that China Mobile, with its 660 million subscribers, is pretty much confirmed.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    Quote:

And second, it would be easy to research.

How so?
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Quote:

Steve Jobs says you're a liar. Tablets will replace computers. This is the post-PC world. Think different.

(I wonder how many tablet reviews were written on one....)

lulz

You're in top passive-aggressive form today! Congratulations.

(For the record, Steve Jobs would not say so).
  • Reply 31 of 127
    deleted
  • Reply 32 of 127
    deleted
  • Reply 33 of 127
    deleted
  • Reply 34 of 127
    deleted
  • Reply 35 of 127
    Quote:

Agreed: would have been a much more interesting story.

First, it would actually have something to say. And second, it would be easy to research.

I can't seem to find a reason for it anywhere. I thought it was going to be a dog day when I looked at the futures and saw AAPL trading down $3 before hours but something made it jump starting at about 10 EDT.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

How about this for a news story idea...

Why did AAPL pop 2.5% today when the broader markets fell almost 1%??

Rumors about the iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    iPads are actually great for writing on. Just get a bluetooth keyboard if you intend to do a lot of typing. The iPad is dead quiet, it has a nice IPS screen and it's portable. For occasional typing on the net, the touch keyboard is good enough, but if I were writing a book on the iPad, I'd just get a bluetooth keyboard. Most laptops have fans and they are not quiet, iPads are, and that's a huge advantage for somebody who demands silence when working.

And to the retard who said that iPads are supposed to replace computers, just how dumb are you? I don't remember Steve Jobs ever saying that. You're either attempting to make a bad joke or you are grossly misinformed and ignorant.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

So lemme see...

It is OK for Apple to keep everything a secret until they release new features. But Microsoft is required to spell everything out to DED a year in advance?

Dude, grab some popcorn, don't get wrapped up around the axel... and watch the show.

Well see the deal is that Apple is private about everything and churns out a series of successful devices at a regular clip.

Microsoft creates a lot of hype about products well in advance, advertises features it won't actually deliver, seeds expectations that never materialize, and then people are still surprised when the product ultimately doesn't sell.

So when Microsoft fails to clearly articulate a key part of its strategy (such as the fact that Windows apps won't run on "Windows" tablets, or that Office isn't something they even have on the drawing board) it's news.

It's actually more newsworthy than when they trot out some vaporware like Courier to battle the iPad in the netherworld of fans' imaginations.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Typing on a tablet is horrible. Just horrible. You'd have to be masochistic to do much data entry that way. So who cares if Office is available for touch based platforms. Watch a movie, read a book, play a game, OK. Fill in cells in a spreadsheet? No freakin way.

So type on a keyboard instead of the screen. That isn't so hard, is it?
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Good analysis.

However, it does leave out some of the downside in terms of Apple's plans and achievements in the area of Office productivity apps.

For instance there is no mention of the fact that the iPad apps are still feature incomplete relative to the desktop versions of iWork, ....

You use iWork daily, observe some flaws, and call it a placeholder Apple doesn't care about.

Want to expereience a real placeholder the vendor doesn't care about? Try Microsoft's Windows version of iMovie. Or try using Office for Mac. Completely ridiculous. iWork has some flaws, and the iOS apps are not (nor do they claim) feature parity, but they are usable as you noted yourself.

The fact is that Apple has put its iWork efforts into iOS in a very short time, and is set to release iCloud versions of its iOS iWork apps soon. After that, I'd expect a new set of iWorks apps with some additional Lion refinements (although a new rev, albeit free, has shipped).

Compare the editing capabilities of iWork iOS/Mac against other versions of "mobile" office apps from Microsoft and others, and I think you'll be forced to agree that Apple currently makes the best mobile suite around.

The fact that Microsoft really doesn't have a functional mobile suite (or a real tablet platform to deploy them on) is kind of the point of the article I think. I mean really, Microsoft has a monopoly on both Windows and Office and is just letting Apple step on the their face in the mobile market, which is where growth is happening.

This is really incredible. Even more incredible is that AI is the only source to recognize this. Wait a year and everyone will catch up to what DED is saying today.