Microsoft faces iPad, iWorks without articulated plan for Windows 8 Office

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It gets the job done... Isn't that really what it's all about?

I suspect, if he takes typing class, he will be equally proficient on a physical and virtual kb -- why not, he has nothing to unlearn!

Typing class? No app?
  • Reply 62 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

shouldn't this say:

...makes more than 10 times...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You expect Digler to actually research something? Give him a break - he had a deadline to fulfill, and he had to get to his weekly D&D meeting.

Ah, we have a troll amongst us... masquerading as a, well, troll.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Likely, China, iPhone, Android difficulties and the fact that MS Windows 8 is a "no show" as competition for the iPad -- for at least a year, if ever.

There's an old "sales" postulate -- "You can only sell what you have in the wagon".

There is a buyers' corollary -- "You can only buy what the salesman has in the wagon".

True, but on Wall Street, you can sell empty promises and vaporware... at least until someone calls your bluff or you have to ship something crappy.

Thompson
  • Reply 64 of 127
    Quote:

..... he has nothing to unlearn!

Very wise, sir. And, the future of Apple.
  • Reply 65 of 127
    Quote:

It may be horrible for you -- because you are used to, and comfortable with, something else

No, it is horrible because you can not rest your fingers on the glass, meaning you can not get any tactile feedback about where your fingers are positioned, meaning you must continually look to see if you are pressing the right key.

As someone else mentioned, I doubt your 11 year old is a touch typist (ironic phrase now that I think about it)... and if he keeps typing on the iPad he never will be.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is good information Dick but a couple questions. I am not that familiar with Pages since I use it infrequently only to open Word docs. How are the export functions for such large posters? When I do posters in Adobe CS, I have lots of compression, bleed, colorspace options which are essential to send something to prepress. How well does Pages handle CMYK pdf export?

This might not answer your question, however, there is at least an ability to manipulate CMYK space when exporting to PDF. I recently had an A0 document printed and was actually surprised at how closely the output matched my expectations. Producing these documents is only incidental to my work though and so, partial capabilities in Pages are acceptable. For me, the biggest advance to Pages came once tighter integration was achieved with EndNote, a big plus.

All the best.

• Reply 67 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Steve Jobs says you're a liar. Tablets will replace computers. This is the post-PC world. Think different.

(I wonder how many tablet reviews were written on one....)

lulz

Dude, WTF is with you? Do you actually have anything intelligent to add to this site? Jobs is talking about a handheld touch-based world where the overwhelming majority of computer users can do 95% of what they use their computer for without a desktop. And you can always add an inexpensive portable bluetooth keyboard for data input if that's your thing. Go take a nap please.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Microsoft could hire Apple to make them an office suite for their new OS, at least they don't have to worry about Apple reverse engineering their OS and stealing it!
  • Reply 69 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Windows users are old fashioned, unlike cutting edge Mac users. Microsoft is investing heavily in multitouch, and hardly any windows user even knows what that is or has even used it before. State of the art for them is a mouse and a beige keyboard, while Mac users have been using state of the art multitouch devices for many years in Apple laptops and now on desktops with the Magic Trackpad and of course on iOS devices with their touch screens.

Windows 8 on a desktop with those huge tiles looks like it was designed for either senior citizens who have really bad vision problems or for toddlers, take your pick.

Bullshit. I use both Windows and OS X. I also have an iPhone and a Samsung Focus. We also use an Apple TV and a PS3 for 90% of our video needs. I am hardly old fashioned. Get off your Apple fanboy high horse.

By the way, which OS, Windows Vista/7/8, OS X, or iOS has true handwriting recognition? Which OS will let me write in Japanese naturally without having to type? Each OS and hardware has its strengths and weaknesses. Get over yourself.
  • Reply 70 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Well see the deal is that Apple is private about everything and churns out a series of successful devices at a regular clip.

Microsoft creates a lot of hype about products well in advance, advertises features it won't actually deliver, seeds expectations that never materialize, and then people are still surprised when the product ultimately doesn't sell.

So when Microsoft fails to clearly articulate a key part of its strategy (such as the fact that Windows apps won't run on "Windows" tablets, or that Office isn't something they even have on the drawing board) it's news.

It's actually more newsworthy than when they trot out some vaporware like Courier to battle the iPad in the netherworld of fans' imaginations.

Excellent response. Did you read this "macrulez"???
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Typing class? No app?

There are several -- here's one:

This is TapTyping

• Reply 72 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Dude, WTF is with you? Do you actually have anything intelligent to add to this site? Jobs is talking about a handheld touch-based world where the overwhelming majority of computer users can do 95% of what they use their computer for without a desktop. And you can always add an inexpensive portable bluetooth keyboard for data input if that's your thing. Go take a nap please.

You should go complain about post 69 too. Not much substance there.
  • Reply 73 of 127
    Quote:

There are several -- here's one:

This is TapTyping

I know. That's why I am wondering why you would send your grandchild to a class. He can start being a touch typist right now.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

So lemme see...

It is OK for Apple to keep everything a secret until they release new features. But Microsoft is required to spell everything out to DED a year in advance?

Dude, grab some popcorn, don't get wrapped up around the axel... and watch the show.

No, it's MS's choice to blabber about their new system years before it's ready for prime time, and Apple's to talk about it when it's pretty well golden.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    To be a touch typist means you type "by touch." In other words you can look elsewhere while you are typing. That's the only way you can really disconnect your mind from the action of typing and focus on what you have to say. Imagine trying to drive a car if every time you wanted to turn the steering wheel you had to look down, confirm that your finger was correctly positioned over the steering-wheel widget, and then move your finger. You'd crash pretty quickly. This is also why touch-screens in cars are a real bad idea: you can't reach over and feel the knob or button, you actually have to take your eyes off the road. The best way to learn to type is with keyboard that has no letters painted on it. To simulate this, have your grandson hover his fingers over the keys, then tape a piece of paper to the backs of his hands so he can see the typing area, but not the letters on the keyboard. Good luck.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No, it's MS's choice to blabber about their new system years before it's ready for prime time, and Apple's to talk about it when it's pretty well golden.

And... you didn't read the article? Did you?
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

No, it is horrible because you can not rest your fingers on the glass, meaning you can not get any tactile feedback about where your fingers are positioned, meaning you must continually look to see if you are pressing the right key.

As someone else mentioned, I doubt your 11 year old is a touch typist (ironic phrase now that I think about it)... and if he keeps typing on the iPad he never will be.

And, that's a good thing!

I suspect that virtual kbs will evolve -- They've been at it for about 4 years, while physical kbs have been around (and refined over 100 years)

Here's what I think we'll see:

-- haptics to give a sense of touch

-- home row is wherever you place your hands

-- the virtual kb adapts to hand placement, finger size and spacing, etc.

-- instead of a down/up keystroke it will use an up/down, wiggle, or press-hard/relax keystroke

-- movement from the home row could be calculated by the device from the distance, speed, force you slide a finger (you don't actually need to reach the desired key, just move in that direction)

If typing is rethought and redesigned to take advantage of the capabilities of an intelligent virtual kb -- I suspect we could achieve greater typing speed and accuracy, while decreasing muscle issues like carpel tunnel.

Those coming from being a good touch-typist on a physical kb, likely, will have difficuty adapting.

Those coming fresh to an intelligent virtual kb will learn as a matter of course -- the intelligent virtual kb will adapt to them!
  • Reply 78 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Bullshit. I use both Windows and OS X. I also have an iPhone and a Samsung Focus. We also use an Apple TV and a PS3 for 90% of our video needs. I am hardly old fashioned. Get off your Apple fanboy high horse.

By the way, which OS, Windows Vista/7/8, OS X, or iOS has true handwriting recognition? Which OS will let me write in Japanese naturally without having to type? Each OS and hardware has its strengths and weaknesses. Get over yourself.

Dude, get off YOUR high horse! What he says is actually true. Windows is nothing more than the same old reused bloated buggy insecure code that is poorly written and carries a lot of legacy crap. The fact that you use both is irrelevant. The Mac universe is a far better platform! its not just about the OS. Further, to your question about Japanese, that would be iOS of course. As well as for Chinese. Get over yourself!
  • Reply 79 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If Microsoft wasn't so colossally stupid, they would already have made iOS versions of Word and Excel, and already no one would rat's behind about iWork at all.

Listen:

Do you want to know a secret?

Do you promise not to tell?

Move closer. Let me whisper in your ear:

No one gives a rat's ass about iWork at all, despite M$ not introducing iOS versions of Word and Excel.
  • Reply 80 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Dude, get off YOUR high horse! What he says is actually true. Windows is nothing more than the same old reused bloated buggy insecure code that is poorly written and carries a lot of legacy crap. The fact that you use both is irrelevant. The Mac universe is a far better platform! its not just about the OS. Further, to your question about Japanese, that would be iOS of course. As well as for Chinese. Get over yourself!

Speaking of insecure: http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/19/os-x-l...your-password/