Apple opens up replacement program for first-gen iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

And yet my 5 year old iMac can't run Lion. I now have to buy a new iMac if I want my music in the cloud.

You are being unreasonable here.

A 5 year old computer is ancient. It's the equivalent of a 20 or 30 year old car.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

But it would be much faster and easier for everyone.

Why? How?
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? How?

• Reply 24 of 60
    So, what took them so long?
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Do you think they'd trade in my nano for a new iPhone 4s. The originally cost of the nano was probably about the same amount. No need to respond, I'm just feeling a little punchy today.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    I received on of those emails from Apple. I was surprised that they would replace a six year old iPod. Mine is still working, but I don't use it very often at all. I wish they gave me a choice of updating to a newer version of the nano or a different color, but there is no reason why they should do that.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You are being unreasonable here.

A 5 year old computer is ancient. It's the equivalent of a 20 or 30 year old car.

You're not makking sense and don't know what Planned Obsolescence (Apple's specialty) means..

Any 10 year old PC running XP can even play Flash- no problem.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You really think 2.33GHz or faster x86-based PCs with 128GB GPUs from a decade ago were common?
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:

Of course they can. The same way they can fix hardware problems seven years after release.

They are likely to have some quantity available but not enough if every 1st gen Nano buyer returns it. They must be either refurbishing them (or at least some) with replacement batteries or replacing them with later gens.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

You're not makking sense and don't know what Planned Obsolescence (Apple's specialty) means..

Interesting observation - XP is almost exactly 10 years old!
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

They are likely to have some quantity available but not enough if every 1st gen Nano buyer returns it.

Agreed. Fortunately, not every 1st gen nano buyer has the option of returning their device. And not even all of the affected users will return their device.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Just had a MacBook topcase replaced.

Free of charge. I know of no other company that does stuff like this. 5 Years after the fact.

Still. Apple takes all the flac for any product-screw up.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

Why are you comparing running Windows XP to Mac OSX+iCloud? I have a ton of newer software that my 3 year old Windows XP machine CANNOT run because it requires newer hardware and Windows 7. So my 6 year old iMac won't load OSX Lion, so what?! My iPhone and iPad sync up perfectly. AND my 5 year old (almost 6) Mac Pro runs OSX Lion+iCloud just GREAT!
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:

Speaking of almost 10 years old, we're coming close to Apple having used the same 30-pin connector on iDevices for nearly a decade. It's been over 8.5 years, which is pretty damn impressive for a company that only uses an evil proprietary dock connector because it's trying to gouge their customers. I wonder how many handset vendors have used the same connector for so long? When I see cables, even just for charging, at stores there are columns and columns of choices, even for the same vendor's devices.
  • Reply 35 of 60

I got my email today, registered and am awaiting the return box.

The iPod is now being used by my grandson -- and works well.

At first, I used it heavily because it was very convenient with the Lanyard headphones... I took it everywhere until the iPhone...

This is Apple!

Apple has great customers!

Apple has earned their customers' loyalty by treating them well and fairly.

Apple makes great products.

Apple stands behind the products they make -- that they will perform as advertised.

Free replacement for a purchase more than 6 years ago -- of a product with an expected 2-3 year obsolescence.

Here is a summary of your order:

Order Date

09/07/05

11:12 AM PST

Web Order No.

xxxxxxxxx

Customer Info

Dick Applebaum

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shipping Address

Dick Applebaum

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shipping Method

Federal Express

Shipping Options

Items shipped separately as they become available.

Promotion Savings are subject to verification.

Purchase Information:

Qty\t Ordered Items\t Part No.\t Est. Shipping\t Unit Price\t Ext. Price

1\t iPod nano 4GB - White\t MA005LL/A\t 1-3 business days\t $249.00\t $249.00

Subtotalt $249.00

Estimated Taxt $21.86

Shipping Charget $16.00

Estimated Totalt $286.86

• Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post

All they have to do is get in the first batch and start fixing them then use those as replacements for the others that are coming in.

but they tell you in that letter (i got one too) that if it's engraved, that will not be preserved...

i figure if they're just swapping the battery out, they could send the same back to you.

but 6 week turnaround is too long if they were just going to send a refurb of another model.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

Does Toyota give you a free 2012 model if your 2005 model has a bad battery? We won't be getting free brand new iPod nanos.

Apple keeps in reserve parts for devices up to seven years old (nine in California) for fixes. Rest assured, they'll have plenty.

Probably because the back just can't be replaced after it's opened.

back can be replaced/reused.. here's the link to swap the battery yourself.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...lacement/774/1
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of almost 10 years old, we're coming close to Apple having used the same 30-pin connector on iDevices for nearly a decade. It's been over 8.5 years, which is pretty damn impressive for a company that only uses an evil proprietary dock connector because it's trying to gouge their customers. I wonder how many handset vendors have used the same connector for so long? When I see cables, even just for charging, at stores there are columns and columns of choices, even for the same vendor's devices.

But your post is totally misleading as not all 30-pin connectors work for iPhone 4 or all other idevices so your 10 year old point analogy as used as a standard is bogus.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

But your post is totally misleading as not all 30-pin connectors work for iPhone 4 or all other idevices so your 10 year old point analogy as used as a standard is bogus.

All the 30-pin connectors plug in just fine. What doesn't work is the ability to sync and/or charge through all these connectors as Apple changed the HW in their iDevices over time as the need arose. Again, it's a change in the devices, not choosing a new plug paradigm for each new device type or model. This is unprecedented in CE.

One day, we'll get Thunderbolt access to out iDevices, likely at much slower speeds though faster than USB 3.0. I wouldn't be surprised for Apple to make a new dock connector to make it smaller and thinner for the next decade of devices.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All the 30-pin connectors plug in just fine. What doesn't work is the ability to sync and/or charge through all these connectors as Apple changed the HW in their iDevices over time as the need arose. Again, it's a change in the devices, not choosing a new plug paradigm for each new device type or model. This is unprecedented in CE.

One day, we'll get Thunderbolt access to out iDevices, likely at much slower speeds though faster than USB 3.0. I wouldn't be surprised for Apple to make a new dock connector to make it smaller and thinner for the next decade of devices.

Great - they plug in yet they don't work. Now THAT makes a lot of sense.

BTW - have you ever heard of an earphone jack?