iPhone Insurance

-df-df
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
For all of you that are sad about AT&T not offering insurance for the iPhone - there is some hope.

I just got off the phone with State Farm and my iPhone is now officially insured.

$30.00/year ($2.50/month).

No deductible.

Covers everything.

I think it's a great deal. It's called a "personal articles policy," which won't cover small electronics such as iPods, but will cover cell phones which cost over $400.

I don't know if you have to be an existing State Farm customer to get this, but it's worth looking into if you've got the about not having insurance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

For all of you that are sad about AT&T not offering insurance for the iPhone - there is some hope.

I just got off the phone with State Farm and my iPhone is now officially insured.

No deductible.

Covers everything.

I think it's a great deal. It's called a "personal articles policy," which won't cover small electronics such as iPods, but will cover cell phones which cost over $400.

I don't know if you have to be an existing State Farm customer to get this, but it's worth looking into if you've got the about not having insurance.

Definitly keep us posted if you do in fact get this insurance. I'm very interested in this.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I did get it. I have it. It's insured.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Awesome! That's the best $30.00 I'm about to spend.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    What else does it cover, this 'personal articles policy'? More specifically, laptops, PDAs, other expensive electronics. And when you say 'everything' do you mean like if I drop my MBP down a flight of stairs, or it gets lost/stolen, it would be covered? I think I could cough up $30 a year for a deal like that.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    bobmarksdale,

I'm pretty sure it just covers cell phones - they said it doesn't cover MP3 players or PDAs, so I had to convince them it was primarily a cell phone. I don't think this would cover a laptop either - my MBP is covered by my renters insurance so I wasn't that interesed in that. I'd contact State Farm for more info on insuring your MBP.

When I say "everything" I mean just that. I specifically asked what this policy doesn't cover and my agent said it's an all inclusive policy - I could start juggling with it on rooftops and if it fell over the edge it'd be replaced (with no deductible).
  • Reply 6 of 54
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Considering I'm an Insurance Agent (not with State Farm) I was surprised I hadn't already thought about getting a Personal Articles Policy on my new iPhone. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm a commercial insurance producer but if I remember correctly a Personal Articles Policy is a policy for a specific item, not a blanket policy for multiple items of the same type. Example being a $20,000 ring, not $50,000 in rings.

Thanks again df
  • Reply 7 of 54
    What did you give State Farm as proof of it's retail value? You must have purchased the 16G, state farm will not insure without retail value proof which I have not been able to get, plus if you purchased the 8g I believe it's retail is only 399. retail value and it must be at least 400.00.

Please let me know what you gave them as proof of it's worth cuze I'm having the darndest time. Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

No deductible.

Covers everything.

• Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purplepalmtree View Post

What did you give State Farm as proof of it's retail value? You must have purchased the 16G, state farm will not insure without retail value proof which I have not been able to get, plus if you purchased the 8g I believe it's retail is only 399. retail value and it must be at least 400.00.

Please let me know what you gave them as proof of it's worth cuze I'm having the darndest time. Thanks.

All I had to do was take in my receipt that showed what I bought, they made a copy and I paid the premium. It had everything they needed, even the serial number on it. But I paid $499 for mine because it was 1 month after the original launch date.

Good luck.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Between AppleCare, Home or Renters insurance, and any CC insurance you might have what extra protection would this provide?
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Between AppleCare, Home or Renters insurance, and any CC insurance you might have what extra protection would this provide?

Applecare is for factory defects and tech support, Home/Renters Insurance cover a blanket of items with strict peril reasons and usually the deductibles are higher than the cost of an iPhone, and CC insurance normally does not cover wear & tear or defects, but rather saves you from buying a lemon or from a company with bad return policies.

Personal Articles Policies cover specific items for virtually an loss reason, and normally carry no, or very minimal deductibles.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Rewarding Return (www.RewardingReturn.com) protects you against your iPhone being lost. They even pay to have it returned to you.

I've lost mine TWICE already b/c I'm a bit of an ass, but they shipped it back to me within days of someone reporting it found. They use labels with ID #'s to know it's yours. Plus you can offer a reward to the finder which gives them incentive to get it back to you.

They've saved my sanity twice already, and they probably will again.

Check it out - it's worth it
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axelbos3323 View Post

Rewarding Return (www.RewardingReturn.com) protects you against your iPhone being lost. They even pay to have it returned to you.

I've lost mine TWICE already b/c I'm a bit of an ass, but they shipped it back to me within days of someone reporting it found. They use labels with ID #'s to know it's yours. Plus you can offer a reward to the finder which gives them incentive to get it back to you.

They've saved my sanity twice already, and they probably will again.

Check it out - it's worth it

PS - this site is ridic. I now have weeks worth of reading to do to keep me "busy" at work

• Reply 13 of 54
    Hi. I just tried this, and apparently State Farm is not longer insuring iPhones. Ironically, this may have been triggered by the price drop.

Part of the personal effects criterion was that the electronic device cost more than $400. That could have explained why, for a time, they would cover iPhones, but not iPods.

Mind you, the reasoning above for their deciding to not insure them anymore is purely my speculation, but the fact that they no longer do it is not speculation.

Sadly, Wireless Safeguard no longers insures iPhones either.

It seems that only leaves SquareTrade.

I noticed that SquareTrade still thinks that iPhones cost $499. I wonder if they'll stop insuring them once they figure out they cost less now, too.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Ha! I'm replying to my own reply.

I just got my iPhone insured by my own home owners insurance agent via Travelers insurance for $15 / year.

Woot!
  • Reply 15 of 54
    I registered here just to add in on this thread. (Sorry to gravedig old threads!)

I just got off the phone with State Farm, and they still offer the insurance on phones. I asked about the fact that the iPhone was only $399.99, and they said that since sales tax puts it over $400, and since I'd have to pay sales tax again on a replacement, then an iPhone can be included.

The details were $6.50 for every $100 insured, with a $30 minimum, for the entire year. This is probably better than any insurance plan I've ever had on a cell phone. My thanks to the original poster!
  • Reply 16 of 54
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    FYI - I have my new MacBook insured with State Farm. I think that it was $30/yr and covers accidental breakage, spillage, theft, etc.

Check with your homeowner's insurance agent for details.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    beware of filing small claims. you'll pay a deductible and your rates will probably go up for three to five years. you will have a claim on your loss records that could cost you more than ten times the cost of the item. especially if it's a item that the price will change drasticly with the next model. filing big claims is what insurance is for. small claims, you hurt yourself. the industry calls them "frivolous". in the end it's up to you. but ask your agent about the full effect prior to the claim.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    I was just at the AT&T store today to purchase a iPhone but when he told me there was no insurance available for it I was a little Leary to purchase it. Cell phones are waaay to easy to drop, well at least for me

I think I found a good source for iPhone insurance without having to use home owners insurance, etc. Squaretrade.com offers iPhone insurance starting at $3.96 a month, Well its 95.00 for 2 years which comes out to $3.96. These are the same guys that have been offering product protection insurance on eBay for years so they appear legit.

Seems like a pretty good deal and it covers drops, spills, etc.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iph...war_adword_024

The above URL says its a limited time offer and that the insurance must be purchased new in box in the last 30 days so for those of you that have had the iPhone for a while, This isn't the deal for you.

Regards,

Ralph
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htimsabbub23 View Post

I can now Insure your iphone for $70.00 a year or 120.00 for two years with a $50.00 deductable.

unconditional insurance as long as the following is true

The phone has to be purchased within the last 60 days of contacting me and from a retail store that has a receipt of the purchase.

[email protected] or 262-707-2822 Please only email or text me...NO PHONE CALLS

That's nothing, I'll insure your iPhone for 20 bucks a year!
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelstr View Post

Ha! I'm replying to my own reply.

I just got my iPhone insured by my own home owners insurance agent via Travelers insurance for $15 / year.

Woot!

Really? I have Traverlers home insurance, but the agent told me they couldn't insure the iphone or if I claimed as part of the personal property I would have to pay the $500 deductable first.. Is there a specific name for that Iphone insurance you got?