iPhone Insurance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

For all of you that are sad about AT&T not offering insurance for the iPhone - there is some hope.

I just got off the phone with State Farm and my iPhone is now officially insured.

$30.00/year ($2.50/month).

No deductible.

Covers everything.

I think it's a great deal. It's called a "personal articles policy," which won't cover small electronics such as iPods, but will cover cell phones which cost over $400.

I don't know if you have to be an existing State Farm customer to get this, but it's worth looking into if you've got the about not having insurance.

You better double check what you paid for.. A personal article floater will cover items without a deductible but you really need to read the policy to see for what perils... Don't just take your agents word for it. For example it will not cover water damage, or product faliure, or scratches, etc... Also it will not cover the cost of the service contract or loss thereof in the event of a covered claim on the phone.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    The only case where State Farm will now cover your Iphone on a Personal Articles Policy is if you have previously had an IPhone insured. I work for State Farm, I called to check if I could insure my own. Cellphones are not covered on a Personal Articles Policy unless you have previously had your phone insured under the policy several years ago.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    The iPhone hasn't been insurable on this type of State Farm Policy since the price dropped a couple months after it came out. It was well below the threshold of the minimum value they allow.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twoofakind314 View Post

The only case where State Farm will now cover your Iphone on a Personal Articles Policy is if you have previously had an IPhone insured. I work for State Farm, I called to check if I could insure my own. Cellphones are not covered on a Personal Articles Policy unless you have previously had your phone insured under the policy several years ago.

• Reply 24 of 54
    Thanx for the information.

i just got insurance for iphone from state farm.

It covers everything (broken & stolen) exclude battery with no deductible.

once again thank you for information.

Quote:

For all of you that are sad about AT&T not offering insurance for the iPhone - there is some hope.

I just got off the phone with State Farm and my iPhone is now officially insured.

No deductible.

Covers everything.

I think it's a great deal. It's called a "personal articles policy," which won't cover small electronics such as iPods, but will cover cell phones which cost over $400.

I don't know if you have to be an existing State Farm customer to get this, but it's worth looking into if you've got the about not having insurance.

• Reply 25 of 54
    Just bought insurance from State farm, exactly as you described.

$30 a year

No Deductible

The place i called was awesome too!! Keith Atkins 425-334-9454

Thanks for the info
  • Reply 26 of 54
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I just got full insurance for 2 iPhones from my local insurance provider (who also provides my home insurance too). It was ~25 bucks each per year for FULL coverage, including theft, damage etc. All I needed to provide was my receipts and my serial numbers. I just need to remember to tell my agent every time I get a new one (i.e. in June 2009 when the 3rd gen is released etc)
  • Reply 27 of 54
    I purchased insurance through State Farm for my phone and made a claim when it was knocked off a table. They paid the claim, but are now deciding to not renew my insurance. They stated because the premium was too low compared to the pay out and I don't have another policy with them. Just a warning...THEY WILL REFUSE TO RENEW YOUR POLICY IF YOU MAKE A CLAIM AND ONLY HAVE A PERSONAL ARTICLES POLICY WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

What else does it cover, this 'personal articles policy'? More specifically, laptops, PDAs, other expensive electronics. And when you say 'everything' do you mean like if I drop my MBP down a flight of stairs, or it gets lost/stolen, it would be covered? I think I could cough up $30 a year for a deal like that.

I dont think a policy like this would cover a lost phone. If stolen you would need to file a police report. While this policy could cover your phone for theft or damage by another, it could be weeks before you get your check ad chances are you will only get a check for a fraction of what it would take to buy a new iphone sance upgrade discount.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    shijushiju Posts: 1member
    Called state farm and they no longer insure iPhones. The new pricing plan puts the phone value at $499 and they do not cover anything under $500.

This went into effect last week according to the office.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    abirozyabirozy Posts: 44member
    I believe I have read all the posts on the subject and have personally called my state farm agent. She stated that it may vary by state and location. For orange county california, it is over 500,00. Mind you, this is after taxes are put in.

BUT HERE IS MY PROBLEM:

1) You have to have a receipt showing the phone price is over 500.00. Even if this price was 400.00, that is still the receipt price.

2) Most people who are buying are doing an upgrade. Whether it is an early upgrade or full upgrade, most people are not buying the iphone at full price and therein lies the rub.

3) State farm does not insure as a replacement, they insure the value of the phone. Therefore if you show them a receipt for 199.99 / 299.99 for full upgrade price or 399.99 / 499.99 for early upgrade price and your phone breaks, gets lost, etc..... state farm will not replace the phone for you unless it is at NO MORE than the receipt price. In most instances, that would not be the case as you would have to pay full price for the replacement phone.

4) Therefore, I see the insurance as more of a price BUFFER as opposed to actual replacement insurance.

I would appreciate any feedback on these thoughts as I was thinking of doing the same thing prior to finding out how the insurance works and feel that it is not a good deal if it does not REPLACE the broken, lost phone.

abirozy
  • Reply 31 of 54
    does anyone know if this is a legit site or not? insure your phone dot com . with that state farm thing, can you get your phone insured if you only paid 199 after a 2 year sign up or what? cuz my reciept only shows 212.00 with tax. its a 3GS that retails for $600.00.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    qball99qball99 Posts: 2member
    I would recommend that you are very careful when using your homeowner’s insurance policy. They are adding the iPhone on as a “Personal Articles Policy” aka “Personal Articles Floater”. This was originally designed to cover high value items such as jewelry, collectibles, fine art, etc. Over time, it has evolved to include high end technology and computer equipment.

Yes it is cheap. And yes, it may cover incidents which the standard homeowner’s policy will not cover, but you need to be aware of the downside. If you were to have a claim, expect to have your premium and/or deductible increased immediately or at the renewal period. Also, claims like these are seen as frivolous when compared to what homeowner’s insurance is designed to do, cover major incidents. Though small, it will be considered what is referred to as a “major incident”. (Due to the high replacement value of the iPhone) If you were to have 2 or 3 incidents small or large, do not be surprised when you receive a non-renewal notice from your provider.

This is just one of the reasons to think twice before running to your homeowner’s agent! I think retaining insurance on your home is much more important than protecting a phone. Just my two cents. =]

-Q
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Here are the best deals I've found for insuring your iphone 3gs. Square Trade will insure you for two years from $77-$115 for two years with a $50 deductible, however, this does not include loss or theft. If you want to be covered for loss and theft, then try Safeware. Their deductible is $100 but they cover everything. Go to their website for a quote. My quote was $113/year for 3gs 32GB
  • Reply 34 of 54
    ryrod14ryrod14 Posts: 1member
    Obviously this depends on where you are or WHO you talk to. My State Farm agent will insure my phone if it is worth $400 or more, and WILL cover water damage, spillage, accidental damage, theft, etc with no deductible for $2.75 a month. I'm not sure about loss...but they asked me how much and said to make sure I tell them what i will cost to replace it. So yes, even though they are $199 now it will be over $400 to REPLACE it. No receipt needed from me. Just a replacement value.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

I believe I have read all the posts on the subject and have personally called my state farm agent. She stated that it may vary by state and location. For orange county california, it is over 500,00. Mind you, this is after taxes are put in.

BUT HERE IS MY PROBLEM:

1) You have to have a receipt showing the phone price is over 500.00. Even if this price was 400.00, that is still the receipt price.

2) Most people who are buying are doing an upgrade. Whether it is an early upgrade or full upgrade, most people are not buying the iphone at full price and therein lies the rub.

3) State farm does not insure as a replacement, they insure the value of the phone. Therefore if you show them a receipt for 199.99 / 299.99 for full upgrade price or 399.99 / 499.99 for early upgrade price and your phone breaks, gets lost, etc..... state farm will not replace the phone for you unless it is at NO MORE than the receipt price. In most instances, that would not be the case as you would have to pay full price for the replacement phone.

4) Therefore, I see the insurance as more of a price BUFFER as opposed to actual replacement insurance.

I would appreciate any feedback on these thoughts as I was thinking of doing the same thing prior to finding out how the insurance works and feel that it is not a good deal if it does not REPLACE the broken, lost phone.

abirozy

• Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

No deductible.

Covers everything.

Thanks for posting this. Quite useful.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    drb123drb123 Posts: 1member
    Have you ever heard of "CompCoach"? or should I say beware of Compcoach. I went with this company to insure 3 Iphones that my family got for Christmas because it included a 'replace lost iphone' clause. Well, about a month ago, I got an email and a snail mail letter from Will at Compcoach advising me that my policy no longer covered lost Iphones, and a few other smaller changes. I contacted the owner, Will, who complained that too many people placed 'false claims' for lost phones and he had lost a lot of money in this venture. I asked him for a pro-rated refund for the policy for my 3 phones and he promised to take care of it. Well, a check came in the mail, which I deposited, and then had returned to me by my bank for insufficient funds in Will's account. This happened about two weeks and three emails ago, and yes - you guessed it - no response from Will.

PS: He is still taking money for policies, but I cannot say whether he is actually fixing anyone's iphones!

Double PS: Now, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any coverage on my iphones. First, it seems that all companies only will insure you within 30-90 days of purchase and I am at 8 months. Second, in MA, State Farm does not operate as an insurer.

If anyone has a suggestion for at least some protection, please let me know!
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drb123 View Post

Have you ever heard of "CompCoach"? or should I say beware of Compcoach. I went with this company to insure 3 Iphones that my family got for Christmas because it included a 'replace lost iphone' clause. Well, about a month ago, I got an email and a snail mail letter from Will at Compcoach advising me that my policy no longer covered lost Iphones, and a few other smaller changes. I contacted the owner, Will, who complained that too many people placed 'false claims' for lost phones and he had lost a lot of money in this venture. I asked him for a pro-rated refund for the policy for my 3 phones and he promised to take care of it. Well, a check came in the mail, which I deposited, and then had returned to me by my bank for insufficient funds in Will's account. This happened about two weeks and three emails ago, and yes - you guessed it - no response from Will.

PS: He is still taking money for policies, but I cannot say whether he is actually fixing anyone's iphones!

Double PS: Now, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any coverage on my iphones. First, it seems that all companies only will insure you within 30-90 days of purchase and I am at 8 months. Second, in MA, State Farm does not operate as an insurer.

If anyone has a suggestion for at least some protection, please let me know!

How about Amex?
  • Reply 38 of 54
    xplicsxplics Posts: 14member
    Yes I there is currently se sort of insurance plan but it is with Apple I think and not ATT also correct me if I wrong but it is very much gray area in what it covers in other words only minor stuff like battary issue goes dead for good.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum & realize that the original posting is a few years old, but I found this link this morning & thought it was informative.

Hope it's helpful!
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Well, like everyone else that was wondering about this I found this post. While I'm very interested in some kind of insurance for my iPhone and the insuremyiphone.com looks reliable, I'll need to see some more reviews about actual payouts. Ironically, the fact that there is a $100 deductible is reassuring as this I can totally see how some people might try to defraud an insurance company by reporting their iPhone stolen. If you need to fork up another $100 to get it covered it might dissuade such behavior. This is a business, if the model doesn't work that company isn't going to be around to cover your iPhone (see the previous post regarding CompCoach).

The iPhone is really expensive to replace since your replacement cost won't include a subsidy from ATT.