ATT's Billing Rip-off

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
OK...... I am chastened, stunned, and will be the first to say that I should have read the fine print closer, but here's a tale of woe that should serve as a heads-up. (Btw, the fine print can be found at: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...hone-terms.jsp Good luck finding the relevant portion!).

I activated international voice roaming with the $5.99/month plan, for a week-long trip to Paris. As fully expected, I ended up with about $100 in voice call charges, at $0.99/min.

But here's the stunner: ATT socked me with a $1170 for 57.3MB of data access in Paris (a few email attachments, and occasional browsing of sites such as NYT and AI). Not once did the ATT rep mention that data would charged at this exorbitant rate. The only thing he did warn me about was the extra charge that I would incur if my phone was turned off and a call went to voicemail.

The Catch-22: The only way to disable data seems to be to disable the SIM card. But that, in turn, means that one can't use voice. That then raises the question, what is the logic for ATT selling international voice roaming service in the first place (unless they explicitly warn you about the data that necessarily gets included or add some sort of a caveat about what data could cost you)?

This is especially galling because the iPhone data plans are sold as "unlimited" in the US, leading one to conclude that it must be the default case everywhere, unless -- out of one's own volition (and sheer dumb luck) -- one asked.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I had a similar probably with email autocheck turned on while using a POP account (because I was ignorant and didn't know much about IMAP). My experience was posted on the Apple Core blog at blogs.zdnet.com/Apple
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Wow, I am speechless.

I just finished a call with the ATT customer rep (I was waiting until Monday AM to do this, since I checked my bill online on Sunday). I explained the situation to her, and she said that it would have to be referred to a "high level adjustment team," and could I please wait a while since I would be put on hold.

I was on hold for about 15 minutes.

She came back on the line and said: "You should have been told about the data plan cost at the time of the international roaming sign-up. As a result, the entire data charge ($1100+) will be waived."

I think that is pretty impressive customer service on ATT's part!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, I am speechless.

I just finished a call with the ATT customer rep (I was waiting until Monday AM to do this, since I checked my bill online on Sunday). I explained the situation to her, and she said that it would have to be referred to a "high level adjustment team," and could I please wait a while since I would be put on hold.

I was on hold for about 15 minutes.

She came back on the line and said: "You should have been told about the data plan cost at the time of the international roaming sign-up. As a result, the entire data charge ($1100+) will be waived."

I think that is pretty impressive customer service on ATT's part!

Nice to see a great resolution from AT&T.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Yeah wow. They were reamed it in there without the lube. Nice to know they gave you that extra hand to pull it out.

$1170, no way is data worth that much! Remind me to leave the iPhone home as go tokyo drifting
  • Reply 5 of 32
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Since AT&T does not provide SIM unlock code (at this time anyway), Apple should at least provide"EDGE/GPRS off" setting. Even with "Auto-Check Mail" setting set to "Manual", Yahoo! push email will continue use EDGE/GPRS. Disabling Yahoo! email account is the only workaround, which prevents users from checking downloaded emails as well. And it's all to easy to accidentally tap "Stocks", "Maps", "Weather", "Safari", "YouTube", and "Mail" to initiate potential EDGE/GPRS data transfer.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

... Remind me to leave the iPhone home as go tokyo drifting

Not a problem in Tokyo.

Japan doesn't have GSM service, so neither voice nor data will work there... but it's still an awesome WiFi device there
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I would imagine that most -- if not all -- of these issues (esp. "keep int'l voice, lose int'l EDGE/GPRS data") could be easily fixed by Apple via a software update.

I hope it does so asap.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Another update, since the saga continues: Now ATT says that they will charge me ~$150 for the international data charges. While much better than the original charges of $1170, this does not square with what the rep told me on the phone. She said that all the charges would be reversed -- I guess she got vetoed.

I have emailed ATT for details of how this was arrived at, and no response yet.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    iharryiharry Posts: 42member
    Quote:

I activated international voice roaming with the $5.99/month plan, for a week-long trip to Paris. As fully expected, I ended up with about $100 in voice call charges, at $0.99/min.

But here's the stunner: ATT socked me with a $1170 for 57.3MB of data access in Paris (a few email attachments, and occasional browsing of sites such as NYT and AI). Not once did the ATT rep mention that data would charged at this exorbitant rate. The only thing he did warn me about was the extra charge that I would incur if my phone was turned off and a call went to voicemail.

I've got you beat. I spent 2 weeks in Spain and France and was socked with a new customer welcome bonus of $1754.00. One Charge was for 1104.00 for data that I don't even remeber using. Can we say crooks

I regret switching to AT&T. I like the iPhone but AT&T SUCKS!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hey, Blinkdt, I have a question for you:

You went to the trouble to register at an Apple enthusiast site, and all of your posts so far have been sneering trolls about how deluded the "fan boys" are and what a horrible operation Apple is.

So, my question is, don't you have anything better to do with your time? Is there something you do like, that you could get involved with and discuss with other people that like it as well?

Because going so far out of your way for nothing more than to belittle people who like something you don't? Creepy. Well, pathetic, but mostly.....creepy.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Hey blinkdt: Not trying to be snarky here, but I could care less about your feelings towards Steve Jobs. It really does not affect my attitude towards Apple or SJ one way or another. Except, this is specifically a forum attempting to address iPhone billing issues (the topic header should be a clue), and it would be great if you could stay on topic.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blinkdt View Post

@anantksundaram Roger that, I'll try harder to stick to the thread's topic. And no, I don't expect I'll change any attitudes here: any Apple afficionado subscribing to this forum is probably too far gone to be helped. I'll keep reading.

Yep, we're way passed gone.

You're right blinkdt, Macs are expensive and aren't for the poor. A Lexus is a ripoff to those that cannot afford them, but for the owners that can, they are nice cars.

Your anecdotal evidence of your uncle sending his MacBook back can be countered by those (like me) who have had an iMac and a PowerBook for 3 years and never once sent it back for repair or had any problems with it. However, like any computer manufacturer, the more advanced the technology, the more likely it is to give one problems. It's human nature. To argue that a PC doesn't have problems is ridiculous. Apple has consistently ranked high in customer satisfaction, so the majority of Mac users must not need to send their products back to Apple twice in six months.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Hey, iHarry, how much did you pay for that "Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display" of yours?

A lot less than the PC competition would cost - for some reason the Mac Pro is way less than the equivalent Dell. Macs in general are comparable in price to Dells, except the Mac Pro which is a lot less than a Dell (and way better, to boot).
  • Reply 14 of 32
    iharryiharry Posts: 42member
    Troll deleted - JL

Sounds like soomeone forgot to take their pill this morning.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

@anantksundaram Roger that, I'll try harder to stick to the thread's topic. And no, I don't expect I'll change any attitudes here: any Apple afficionado subscribing to this forum is probably too far gone to be helped. ........

Gee, you sure sound like you like to sound clever!

Except, I use "forum" (not capitalized) in the normal dictionary sense of the term..... e.g., "a public meeting place for open discussion" or "a medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website." (Source: American Heritage Dictionary).

Back to iPhone billing. Has anyone tried putting the iPhone on the airplane mode abroad? And, just turning it back on for a quick call, or to check VM, or only in a wifi area?

It's really stupid that Apple lets you turn off wifi, but not EDGE/GPRS.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

@anantksundaram Roger that, I'll try harder to stick to the thread's topic. And no, I don't expect I'll change any attitudes here: any Apple afficionado subscribing to this forum is probably too far gone to be helped. I'll keep reading.

you could probably not _change_ attitudes; but, rather, inform people through intelligent, articulate conversation so they might have the choice to assimilate or not assimilate your ideas.

what a strange creature you lot are. Trolls, ugh. Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em.

congrats on getting that $1000+ ATT bill sorted out. They probably didn't have to do that (give you the credit) since, in some deep dark inaccessible basement, there does exist some "clear" information about how they have the right to charge you those exorbitant data rates.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

Trolls, ugh. Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em.

You have to go through life expecting that hope can trump experience....... otherwise you become a cynic.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    To be honest he may be talking some shite but much of what he says is also true and there are plenty of people on this forum that make it so easy for him. You cannot deny that there are many pathetic Apple fans on these forums that will defend every single decision and product that Apple produce with little evidence to back them up aside from the classic "Steve Jobs is god" defence.

In fact many Apple fans remind me of right wing Christians, The whole idea of organised religion is based on die hard belief in what you are told and a refusal to even look at the evidence that says otherwise, It aint called the cult of the Mac for nothing.

If there is no way to disable wireless data on the iPhone and Apple are fully aware of the blatant profiteering that is the AT&T international data rates then Apple must take some of the responsibility for this. This is a 1st Generation product from a company who has never made a phone before, Apple have decided not to learn from the existing phone marketplace and implement simple, basic features that they should have. I am sure that improvements will be made in future models, but it would have been so easy for them to do some research prior to designing this one and this one is so very very flawed. It is probably one of the worst phones in the world combined with probably the best media player in the world, great if you want a new ipod but sucks if you want a phone.

There will still be plenty of people on these foums that will disagree and who are very much of the attitude that Apple knows more then anyone else and the iPhone is groundbreaking and Apple have re-designed the mobile phone and it has cover flow and Nokia don't know what they are doing etc... . But you are wrong, and you can admit it, honestly, you will still go to Steve Jobs heaven even if are sometimes honest about some Apple products.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

To be honest he may be talking some shite but much of what he says is also true and there are plenty of people on this forum that make it so easy for him. You cannot deny that there are many pathetic Apple fans on these forums that will defend every single decision and product that Apple produce with little evidence to back them up aside from the classic "Steve Jobs is god" defence.

In fact many Apple fans remind me of right wing Christians, The whole idea of organised religion is based on die hard belief in what you are told and a refusal to even look at the evidence that says otherwise, It aint called the cult of the Mac for nothing.

If there is no way to disable wireless data on the iPhone and Apple are fully aware of the blatant profiteering that is the AT&T international data rates then Apple must take some of the responsibility for this. This is a 1st Generation product from a company who has never made a phone before, Apple have decided not to learn from the existing phone marketplace and implement simple, basic features that they should have. I am sure that improvements will be made in future models, but it would have been so easy for them to do some research prior to designing this one and this one is so very very flawed. It is probably one of the worst phones in the world combined with probably the best media player in the world, great if you want a new ipod but sucks if you want a phone.

There will still be plenty of people on these foums that will disagree and who are very much of the attitude that Apple knows more then anyone else and the iPhone is groundbreaking and Apple have re-designed the mobile phone and it has cover flow and Nokia don't know what they are doing etc... . But you are wrong, and you can admit it, honestly, you will still go to Steve Jobs heaven even if are sometimes honest about some Apple products.

Hey look, it's Arty McStrawman! Hanging out on these forums, always talking about how Steve Jobs is God and Apple never does anything wrong..... and you just know when anyone disagrees with a particular criticism of a particular Apple product, it must be because they are mindless zealots! What other explanation could there be?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hey look, it's Arty McStrawman! Hanging out on these forums, always talking about how Steve Jobs is God and Apple never does anything wrong..... and you just know when anyone disagrees with a particular criticism of a particular Apple product, it must be because they are mindless zealots! What other explanation could there be?

So i take it you disagree? You really believe that there are no people on these forums that are like that?