Apple addressing dead spots on iPhone touchscreens

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A small number of iPhone users are receiving help from Apple after reporting that their handsets have permanently lost responsiveness to touch input across portions of the screen.

Customers posting to Apple's support forums (1, 2, 3) note the issue occurs without warning and usually affects a half-inch strip of the screen that spans the width of the device when held vertically.

Members of the AppleInsider and MacRumors forums have also spawned threads on the matter. They explain that the dead strips usually appear a half-inch from the top or bottom of the iPhone's display, often disabling access to critical controls or shifting the touch input to the wrong region.

"The bottom of my screen lost sensitivity after only about 20 days of use," explained one user seeking help via Apple's support forums. "First the very bottom of the screen went out so I could not hit the space-bar on the keyboard, or change to the number/character screen. Then it got worse a few days later, now I cannot hit any of the main function buttons."

The problem appears to be irreparable via software or resets. Applying the 1.0.1 update doesn't remedy the issue, according to reports, and neither does resetting or restoring the phone to factory condition. Cleaning the phone using Apple's recommended water-only method or a specialized cleaner likewise produces no practical results. In some cases, touch functionality has been briefly restored for users only to drop out again a short while later.

Most known instances have required direct replacements from Apple, whose technical support agents have commented to customers that they are "very familiar" with the touchscreen failures. While the company has yet to publicly acknowledge the issue, it's taking a proactive role in replacing the defective units with few if any questions asked. In some cases, Apple support agents are have even bypassed their usual protocol for replacements.

One customer who had been voicing complaints on the Apple support forums was surprised to find the company was quietly monitoring his activity.

"Today I am in awe of Apple Support," he wrote. "This may not be true for everyone, but [I] got an unsolicited call at my office from Apple Support on this issue and they were helpful and we put together a return on the phone. "

Other affected owners have taken their iPhones to local Apple stores, where after a brief inspection, Apple Store Geniuses have routinely recommended that the handsets be sent into Apple for a 3-day repair. Apple offers customers a $29 iPhone rental in the meantime, though one customer speaking directly with AppleInsider observed that he successfully negotiated a waiver of the fee during his repair process.

The unresponsive screens represent the second known hardware anomaly affecting the Apple handset since its release in late June, with the other being a disproportionately high number of AC adapter failures that prevented some of the devices from charging through their external power bricks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    This exact thing happened to me on Friday, after approximately 19 days of operation. I took it to the apple store, and they swapped it out for me on the spot. Hopefully, they will have a good policy/fix in place when this one is twenty days old.

I am, however, impressed with how this played out. They went through some basic tests, and then sorted it out.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Well, Apple Store employees can use those to alleviate customer concerns about not having a user-replaceable battery: "Sir, the battery is the least of your concerns. Chances are the touch screen will die long before the battery does. Now how would like to pay for your iPhone?"
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Well, Apple Store employees can use those to alleviate customer concerns about not having a user-replaceable battery: "Sir, the battery is the least of your concerns. Chances are the touch screen will die long before the battery does. Now how would like to pay for your iPhone?"

They removed the threads in the discussion forums, typically that means it's a common issue they recognize as a problem. Gonna be real bad if it's widespread.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Today I am in awe of Apple Support," he wrote. "This may not be true for everyone, but [I] got an unsolicited call at my office from Apple Support on this issue and they were helpful and we put together a return on the phone. "

"...Unfortunately, when they called, I was unable to answer, since my iphone's touch screen does not work along the strip where the "Answer" button is displayed. So I've still got an issue."

...yeah i know it said they called him at his office. i don't care, i thought it was entertaining.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    I went to the Apple store at the Bridgewater NJ mall.

My iPhone is doing the same thing. Problem is the Genius said it was normal. At first they said it wa sbecause of the hard plastic case, which I hate So I removed it and the problem still was present. Then they said it was because I had large fingers and was missing the space. I had to explain that it worked fone for the first month. Plus I asked them to try it. They reluctantly tried and could not gte it to work.

They took it in the back, and came back in 20 minutes and said it did not qualify for any replacement. I would send it in for repair but i MAY be charged for the repair and would have to pay for a loaner phone. I declined the loaner and said Iwould swap the Sim to my old ATT phone, and the Genius got very upset by this. He said I could not do this and he would not send my phone in if I swapped the sim card.

Long story short - I gave them my phone, minus Sim card, promised I would not place it in my other phone, did not get the loaner and sent it off.

The manager came by, and I explained the situation and he was sympathetic but stated Apple told them this week to stop replacing phones and to ship them off for repair.

So hopefully they will fix it and I will have it back friday.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    ...also, maybe this IS a huge problem, and that's why Steve seemed so bummed out during tuesday's presentation.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

"...Unfortunately, when they called, I was unable to answer, since my iphone's touch screen does not work along the strip where the "Answer" button is displayed. So I've still got an issue."

...yeah i know it said they called him at his office. i don't care, i thought it was entertaining.

• Reply 8 of 51
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seamuskrat View Post

They took it in the back, and came back in 20 minutes and said it did not qualify for any replacement. I would send it in for repair but i MAY be charged for the repair and would have to pay for a loaner phone.

At this point, you should just smile and say you are off down the road to see your solicitor about starting a class-action lawsuit, unless of course they want to reconsider.

This sounds potentially very serious. If the durability is this poor, what are they going to be like in a few years time? - ouch! I wouldn't even want a replacement, I would prefer my money back given the thought that if this is a fundamental problem with the touchscreens it is going to be a very expensive and nasty experience when it happens again out of warranty.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    What scares me is I have had my iPhone replaced already for a flaw in the chrome and they said the new warranty is still from the date of my first phone. I hate that. Palm did that. I told them, "Oh marvelous, so you can keep supplying me junk replacements until that one year warranty runs out on the first junk I bought........"

If this hits the mainline as a problem, their stock is so done-for. Hate to see Apple run into problems. It's a lot of waisted energy
  • Reply 10 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

My iPhone is doing the same thing. Problem is the Genius said it was normal. At first they said it wa sbecause of the hard plastic case, which I hate So I removed it and the problem still was present. Then they said it was because I had large fingers and was missing the space. I had to explain that it worked fone for the first month. Plus I asked them to try it. They reluctantly tried and could not gte it to work.

They took it in the back, and came back in 20 minutes and said it did not qualify for any replacement. I would send it in for repair but i MAY be charged for the repair and would have to pay for a loaner phone. I declined the loaner and said Iwould swap the Sim to my old ATT phone, and the Genius got very upset by this. He said I could not do this and he would not send my phone in if I swapped the sim card.

Long story short - I gave them my phone, minus Sim card, promised I would not place it in my other phone, did not get the loaner and sent it off.

I think the guy was full of it if that's really what he said. What would you do for phone calls during the time period?

Quote:

The manager came by, and I explained the situation and he was sympathetic but stated Apple told them this week to stop replacing phones and to ship them off for repair.

If this is all true then I just don't understand it. I don't expect average quality service for a premium product.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

What scares me is I have had my iPhone replaced already for a flaw in the chrome and they said the new warranty is still from the date of my first phone. I hate that. Palm did that. I told them, "Oh marvelous, so you can keep supplying me junk replacements until that one year warranty runs out on the first junk I bought........"

It's too easy to abuse a policy that extends the warranty every time the device is replaced.

If you have to replace it three times, then you might qualify for action under a lemon law, depending on your state laws.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    So far, mine is working like a charm....... touch wood. But reports like these fill me with dread, and detract from my user experience of the product (as I am waiting for it go dead any minute).

Apple is, once again, dropping the ball on getting in front of some of these issues that can quickly spiral downwards to become PR disasters (a la options backdating -- which, btw, we have not heard the last of). At a minimum, they should say something about what proportion of users are affected by such hardware problems as dead touchscreens, faulty AC adapters, and such.

I agree with JeffDM's comment about premium products and average-quality service: That is unacceptable.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I posted my experience with a dead spot on my iPhone on the other "dead spot" thread. Briefly though, I was able to return my iPhone for a new one even though I had gotten it on the 1st day of realease.

If you'd like to read check it out....

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=77407
  • Reply 14 of 51
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:

I declined the loaner and said Iwould swap the Sim to my old ATT phone, and the Genius got very upset by this. He said I could not do this and he would not send my phone in if I swapped the sim card.

If that scenario is true, the genius you talked to is a jackass. It's acknowledged that your SIM card will work in another AT&T phone, and he has no reason to get upset at the notion. Hopefully you got his name, because you should e-mail the store manager and complain.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone users are receiving help from Apple after reporting that their handsets have permanently lost responsiveness to touch input across portions of the screen.

This totally sucks. Imagine the impact on sales when iPhone is launched in Europe, bad news travels fast. I so want to short AAPL right now, but I just can't bring myself to do it....yet!
  • Reply 16 of 51
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

If that scenario is true, the genius you talked to is a jackass. It's acknowledged that your SIM card will work in another AT&T phone, and he has no reason to get upset at the notion. Hopefully you got his name, because you should e-mail the store manager and complain.

I would email customer service at Apple's headquarters. The manager will probably back up their direct employee.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    The dead screen portion happened to my iPhone. It was during the third week i owned it. The bottom 1/2" of the screen first quit responding to touches in the middle, then a day or so later to all touches across the bottom of the screen. I tried a restore, which didn't help, then took it to the Apple Store's Genius Bar. There they tried a restore and when that again changed nothing, they sent it in for repair.

To Apple's credit, a replacement iPhone delivered to me at 9:15 Saturday morning, just 3 days later. But I was extremely disappointed that after just 3 weeks, a $600 phone wasn't replaced when returned, and even more so that I believe the replacement is a refurbished product. It came with an additional wrap around it, started up to a different screen than a new phone, and has a scratch on the back. Plus photos taken with the new phone have a ghastly green tint, unlike the phone I returned.

I'm pleased to have a replacement so quickly. I'm angered that a 3 week old $600 phone appears to have been replaced with one that was somebody else's problem.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kopitnil View Post

I'm pleased to have a replacement so quickly. I'm angered that a 3 week old $600 phone appears to have been replaced with one that was somebody else's problem.

Rightly so. Why don't you make an attempt to take this one back as well, and try to explain the situtation to them? Or you can just wait in case the screen on this one also 'dies' as the screen on your first one
  • Reply 19 of 51
    bauchbauch Posts: 20member
    I gotta say, I haven't had a SINGLE issue with my iPhone besides the occasional crash with Safari or Mail, which has pretty much disappeared since the software update. Screen has never gone out, always charges great, battery status has always been correct - everything has been great. Sucks for everyone having all the issues, however.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

This sounds potentially very serious. If the durability is this poor, what are they going to be like in a few years time? - ouch! I wouldn't even want a replacement, I would prefer my money back given the thought that if this is a fundamental problem with the touchscreens it is going to be a very expensive and nasty experience when it happens again out of warranty.

We don't know if it means this at all. There were bound to be some types of defects that happened. Apple will learn from this and adjust its manufacturing to minimize the problem. Please name me the electronics company who is able to ship 100% defect free devices.

Quote:

Apple is, once again, dropping the ball on getting in front of some of these issues that can quickly spiral downwards to become PR disasters. At a minimum, they should say something about what proportion of users are affected by such hardware problems as dead touchscreens, faulty AC adapters, and such.

At this point Apple probably does not know how many touch screen or AC adaptors will fail. If its a very small number in proportion to the number of iPhone users there is little need to make a big announcement about it. Just replace the defective devices and keep it moving.

Does Dell make a big announcement on the number of its computer failures?