Boycott: Not buying Leopard until those Jellybeans die!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Why do you like starting duplicate threads? Especially ones where you essentially steal someone else's mockup?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...27&postcount=4

Excuse me? I have been talking about the mock-up for weeks, and I said I was going to use all elements from iTunes, which I did. He showed me his mock-up and I merely said; "no, more along these lines". The mock-ups are different, it doesn't take a genius to work that out. I'd be happy if someone took my version and said; "how about this?", and did something different.

His:

Mine:

We don't need to get petty about this, we're in together after all. I'm not try to make claim to anything - I'm trying publicize the issue, that's all.
  • Reply 22 of 138
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He doesn't have control of the game industry.

No, he does not, but when the top graphics of the new line are in many respects inferior to the top graphics of the previous generation, to the point that Apple does not even posts game benchmarks anymore in the iMac page, why game developers should take him seriously?

Quote:

OS inconsistencies are his thing.

So it seems.
  • Reply 23 of 138
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Excuse me? How are you say I stole that mock-up.

One, you've started threads with mockups done by others with no attribution before. You never claimed them as your own but...well...there's a certain implication when there's no attribution. This time at least you pshopped your own.

Two, you started a new thread despite having started nearly the exact same thread that happened to have have his mock up was first in the thread history and your's second.

Three, he's the one that mentioned iTunes scroll bar and checkboxes FIRST in that thread and you answered "I see where you're going"...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

I don't hate the aqua, but a change to something along the lines of the iTunes scroll bars and checkboxes that matched the new folder colors or something would be nice seeing how so much else has been revamped. I have a feeling that they'll be staying, though.

Quote:

Yeah I see where you're going here. Here's some different screenshot I took, all in iTunes.

1st, iTunes non-Aqua scroll-bar,

2nd, iTunes account page button (which I have always loved by the way),

3rd, iTunes equalizer slider,

4th, iTunes equalizer slider (moused):

Quote:

I have been talking about the mock-up for weeks, and I said I was going to use all elements from iTunes, which I did. He showed me his mock-up and I merely said; "no, more along these lines". The mock-ups are different, it doesn't take a genius to work that out. I'd be happy if someone took my version and said; "how about this?", and did something different.

The thread history in that other thread suggests differently.

Quote:

We don't need to get petty about this, we're in together after all. I'm not try to make claim to anything - I'm trying publicize the issue, that's all.

Fine. Then a quick attribution and link to the previous thread is no big deal right? Why not Digg the other thread anyway?

He (detail) probably doesn't care since the idea of Apple moving to the iLife look has been bandied about before and I wouldn't have bothered to comment except this ain't the first time you've spawned a new thread for no particularly good reason and "petty" is exactly what I consider trying to pawn off others ideas as your own for a Digg egoboo.

Vinea
  • Reply 24 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

The thread history in that other thread suggests differently.

It's not the first time I have said that, by any means at all. As I said I used Apple's own buttons to make the mock-up. These's buttons are already present in iTunes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Why not Digg the other thread anyway?

Not a sneaky move at all, Flickr's stuff tends to get more diggs, and I want Apple to here us (Mac users).
  • Reply 25 of 138
    There are some elements in Aqua that make it worthwhile to me, but considering I'm on Jaguar, all I can see is pinstripes!

I hate pinstripes, I hate brushed metal. Unified looks great to me. Not a fan of the dull new finder buttons. They should use the ones they had in Finder (Tiger), the glosy ones. (or Safari.)

But yes, scrollbars must be eliminated, I could do without the traffic lights too.
  • Reply 26 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I could not agree more here. This is a job for Apple. But I think the iPhone effect is here and it shows. Apple has too many fronts open. And while we are at it, anyone knows what was the Apple development personnel e.g in the Panther release and what is now?

Hoping for a last minute surprise.

I agree. And the level of design and polish given to the iPhone is conspicuously missing from Leopard, which resembles a warmed over Tiger, but given the iTunes look which is decent but not all that.

We should all be hoping that Apple has something worthy of a new OS GUI theme in place ready to be revealed at the end of the month.

Ireland is right, the aqua mixed with platinum looks sloppy, unifinished, and inexcuseable. I appreciate this thread and what it is trying to do.

With Microsoft, you can expect this sort of thing, but this is Apple! They are supposed to be king of this stuff. Not, "Oh well, it doesn't really matter in the long run." Yes it does! and they need to do better.
  • Reply 27 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post

There are some elements in Aqua that make it worthwhile to me, but considering I'm on Jaguar, all I can see is pinstripes!

I hate pinstripes, I hate brushed metal. Unified looks great to me. Not a fan of the dull new finder buttons. They should use the ones they had in Finder (Tiger), the glosy ones. (or Safari.)

But yes, scrollbars must be eliminated, I could do without the traffic lights too.

I agree. Aqua looks great. and the glossy aspect is what really gives it some pop. The itunes look is decent, but it can almost be seen as a backward step. Sure, it looks more mature, but not necessarily better. Apple can do better and they should. There should be some aspects that are glossy in leopard that are in keeping with the new theme, but not simply the old buttons and scrollbars. I also like how the button you are supposed to press pulses waiting for your input. Aqua is full on the real deal. Since Apple is replacing it, they need to do much better.

Here's hoping they are just holding off on showing the goods (to keep MS from aping them too early) and that they show off a truly worthy theme closer to launch.
  • Reply 28 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko

Ireland is right, the aqua mixed with platinum looks sloppy, unifinished, and inexcuseable. I appreciate this thread and what it is trying to do.

With Microsoft, you can expect this sort of thing, but this is Apple! They are supposed to be king of this stuff. Not, "Oh well, it doesn't really matter in the long run." Yes it does! and they need to do better.

At least someone is awake here. Thank you!
  • Reply 29 of 138
    Woud you mind photoshopping (or gimping, etc.) the Tiger Finder buttons in? (The back, forward and show all buttons.) I believe those should remain in the system and I am curious how it would look with your current edit.

I'd do it myself, but I don't have 10.4
  • Reply 30 of 138
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

I agree. Aqua looks great. and the glossy aspect is what really gives it some pop. The itunes look is decent, but it can almost be seen as a backward step. Sure, it looks more mature, but not necessarily better. Apple can do better and they should. There should be some aspects that are glossy in leopard that are in keeping with the new theme, but not simply the old buttons and scrollbars. I also like how the button you are supposed to press pulses waiting for your input. Aqua is full on the real deal. Since Apple is replacing it, they need to do much better.

Here's hoping they are just holding off on showing the goods (to keep MS from aping them too early) and that they show off a truly worthy theme closer to launch.

While I agree a mixed interface (aqua + platinum) is bad I do agree with 9secondko that Aqua still looks good. Of course it is plastered all over Vista now so a replacement is needed.

iTunes is a bit subdued which is fine from a usability perspective but a little more eyecandy, not in the form of translucency or the mirror effect, would be nice. Aqua was a nice mix of eyecandy and notification that a graphical object was meant for user interaction. Bare icons doesn't quite offer the same affordance although I don't recall those in Apple as much as in MS products.

Of course, this same discussion is still ongoing in that other thread too.
  • Reply 31 of 138
    Leopard finalized and released to manufacturing.

Oh boy.

Let's hope that some as of yet undisclosed user interface polish has secretly been put into the OS.

The edition that is available to developers needs work.

(Although it would seem logical that what we have seen is what we will get <sigh> as Apple has put resources already into their website with the video spotlights on the Leopard UI and apps.)

I just hope that this being Apple, they have a pleasant surprise or two to show.
  • Reply 32 of 138
    Quote:

Leopard finalized and released to manufacturing.

Oh boy.

Let's hope that some as of yet undisclosed user interface polish has secretly been put into the OS.

The edition that is available to developers needs work.

(Although it would seem logical that what we have seen is what we will get <sigh> as Apple has put resources already into their website with the video spotlights on the Leopard UI and apps.)

I just hope that this being Apple, they have a pleasant surprise or two to show.

Well, it looks like Aqua remains. In th enew leopard pages, they show aqua scrollbars (Why? they have half their ilife apps using new scrololbars and the rest using aqua.

Oh well, It still looks like a worthy upgrade, but Apple is faltering in the UI consistency arena.
  • Reply 33 of 138
    Quote:

Apple is faltering in the UI consistency arena.

This is nothing new. Get used to it, your blood pressure will be lower. They like to experiment too much to deliver a completely consistent interface...or at least it seems that way.
  • Reply 34 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

..or at least it seems that way.

Therein lies the problem.
  • Reply 35 of 138
    ShapeShifter

If you're going to start whining about inconsequentia, at least do your homework first. In addition to ShapeShifter, there are shit-tons of other, smaller UI tweaks. It took me approximately 84 seconds to find them on google.
  • Reply 36 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

ShapeShifter

If you're going to start whining about inconsequentia, at least do your homework first. In addition to ShapeShifter, there are shit-tons of other, smaller UI tweaks. It took me approximately 84 seconds to find them on google.

Sorry, it is not about doing your homework or not. It is about Apple delivering consistent UI. This is Apple's job, not haxies' job.
  • Reply 37 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Sorry, it is not about doing your homework or not. It is about Apple delivering consistent UI. This is Apple's job, not haxies' job.

If it's such a problem, then don't buy a mac, or at least write Apple a letter about it. I think we've found out from this thread that very few people actually care at all, and that certainly no one cares enough to do anything about it.

Furthermore, Apple's job is to sell computers and high tech items. "Delivering a consistent UI" is of absolutely no importance unless it affects their ability to sell computers and high tech items. Since the complaints here bemoan details which are "in the noise," it's almost certain that the financial impact of these GUI travesties is also "in the noise."
  • Reply 38 of 138
    Quote:

If it's such a problem, then don't buy a mac, or at least write Apple a letter about it.

Absolutely.

Quote:

I think we've found out from this thread that very few people actually care at all, and that certainly no one cares enough to do anything about it.

I cannot disagree, if in these boards you have this interest, then that pretty safely means zero interest out there.

Quote:

Furthermore, Apple's job is to sell computers and high tech items. "Delivering a consistent UI" is of absolutely no importance unless it affects their ability to sell computers and high tech items.

Fortunately or unfortunately this is true, but it should not be an excuse for Apple. I wonder though why they left the Aqua elements there while a replacement should be trivial from a programmatic point of view.
  • Reply 39 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

I wonder though why they left the Aqua elements there while a replacement should be trivial from a programmatic point of view.

So does everyone who cares.
  • Reply 40 of 138
    Quote:

ShapeShifter

I hate to have to quote myself from such a comparatively small thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

And for those who mention Shapeshifter, I think it's really up to Apple to finished what they started, and not expect some 3rd part to come along a clean up the mess, not to mention you have to buy the app, and do the fiddling yourself, and again on reinstalls.