Apple putting finishing touches on Mac OS X 10.4.11

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With less than 48 hours to go before Apple unleashes its next-generation Leopard operating system, the company is also putting the finishing touches on another update of significance: Mac OS X 10.4.11 -- a final once-over for its soon to be yesteryear Tiger OS.

The Cupertino-based company on Wednesday evening provided its vast developer community with two new pre-release builds of the Tiger maintenance and security update, people familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider.

Labeled Mac OS X Update 10.4.11 (Intel) build 8S2165 and Mac OS X Update 10.4.11 (PowerPC) build 8S165, both builds are said to be void of any known issues. Still, Apple is reportedly asking its developers for a final round of feedback on critical components such as Safari, Automator, Dashboard widgets and Disk Images.

Since issuing pre-release builds 8S161 and 8S2161 nearly two weeks ago, the Mac maker has patched a few widget and Automator anomalies that were common across both the PowerPC and Intel versions. It also corrected an issue that was preventing some popular gaming titles from launching on the PowerPC side.

With the latest builds, the number of bug fixes and code corrections bundled with the impending Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update has risen to six dozen. Pending an unforeseen issues going forward, the release will be the final tidy-up for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, which made its inaugural debut back in April of 2005.

Those people familiar with the ongoing development of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update say a release is expected within close proximity to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard -- due Friday.

Readers: don't forget to check out AppleInsider's ongoing Road to Leopard Series: System Preferences, Parental Controls and Directory Services, What's new in Mac OS X Leopard Server, Dashboard, Spotlight and the Desktop, Safari 3.0, iCal 3.0, iChat 4.0, Mail 3.0, Time Machine; Spaces, Dock 1.6, Finder 10.5, Dictionary 2.0, and Preview 4.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Interesting, the only 10.4 update I'll never get =/
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Readers: don't forget to out AppleInsider's ongoing Road to Leopard Series: System Preferences, Parental Controls and Directory Services, What's new in Mac OS X Leopard Server, Dashboard, Spotlight and the Desktop, Safari 3.0, iCal 3.0, iChat 4.0, Mail 3.0, Time Machine; Spaces, Dock 1.6, Finder 10.5, Dictionary 2.0, and Preview 4.0.

I didn't know they were in the closet!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    My external drive will run OS X Tiger 10.4.11 for those times when I need to run a Classic OS 9 app.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

It is kinda sad.

Oh well! Leopard awaits!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

My external drive will run OS X Tiger 10.4.11 for those times when I need to run a Classic OS 9 app.

Or you could use SheepShaver - http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Or the skinflint could pry open his dust covered wallet and buy some software that was developed in the 21st century.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

Or the skinflint could pry open his dust covered wallet and buy some software that was developed in the 21st century.

While nothing comes to mind, I'm sure there's not OS X replacements for everything that was ever developed for OS 9.

Actually, something comes to mind now. I've got a friend who has some sort of weird sewing machine software that talks to her sewing machine, and they never made an OS X version of it.

Oh, and Marathon! I mean, hello!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    For my main working machine, I upgrade it from one stable release to the next. So it is now on 10.3.9 and I will upgrade it to 10.4.11 when that comes out. I'm prepared to upgrade a machine that is not critical to Leopard but not one that I rely on every day. Does no one else do this? All I see on this forum is a lot of negativity towards Apple (when this issue has come up in the past) for bothering to get Tiger sorted out when Leopard is just around the corner. For me this is one area where Apple shows its responsibility towards its users. Kudos to them!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

For my main working machine, I upgrade it from one stable release to the next. So it is now on 10.3.9 and I will upgrade it to 10.4.11 when that comes out. I'm prepared to upgrade a machine that is not critical to Leopard but not one that I rely on every day. Does no one else do this? All I see on this forum is a lot of negativity towards Apple (when this issue has come up in the past) for bothering to get Tiger sorted out when Leopard is just around the corner. For me this is one area where Apple shows its responsibility towards its users. Kudos to them!

When you said move from one stable release to the other, you were not kidding.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I forget the figures, but with so many people waiting for Apple's next OS to get a new Mac and the high percentage of Mac users who upgrade to the latest OS I suspect 10.4.11 will be used by less people than 10.5.0 within the first few weeks.

Quote:

I think that is very extreme. I can understand not wanting to to jump on a x.x.0 or even a x.x.1 release but this isn't Windows weren't talking about. We're talking about a Mac OS X, a Unix based OS. You are basically getting an OS that in the 2.5 years old. But to each their own.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I wonder if 10.4.11 will even hit DVD, though I doubt it...
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

That's right ? I'm very much looking forward to Friday. Bring on?Tiger!
  • Reply 14 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

I wonder if 10.4.11 will even hit DVD, though I doubt it...

It will be released though Software Update like all the others.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Yeah, but then you would have to run it from ugh! BE or Linux.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

While nothing comes to mind, I'm sure there's not OS X replacements for everything that was ever developed for OS 9.

Actually, something comes to mind now. I've got a friend who has some sort of weird sewing machine software that talks to her sewing machine, and they never made an OS X version of it.

Oh, and Marathon! I mean, hello!

You know, I've got dozens of programs, and I thought that there would always be some need for some of my System 9 versio0ns.

But, you know what? I haven't found that need for almost five years.

While I don't remember the name, there is sewing software for OS X as well.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Many of the bugs fixed between 10.4.0 and 10.4.10 are also present in 10.3.9. I suspect that 10.4 became more stable than 10.3.9 somewhere between 10.4.5 and 10.4.8.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Bear in mind that you wont be able to run time machine on the external HDD unless it is connected to a Leopard machine. You're better off just not living in 2001 anymore, get over it, its done, move on.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Many of the bugs fixed between 10.4.0 and 10.4.10 are also present in 10.3.9. I suspect that 10.4 became more stable than 10.3.9 somewhere between 10.4.5 and 10.4.8.

It's good to hear this ? there is very little comment on the progress in stability from one major release to the next, only between the incremental upgrades. I'll be very glad if 10.4.11 is a significant improvement over 10.3.9. And I hope that Leopard continues the trend.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    There are two reasons why 10.4.11 should be more stable than 10.3.9. One is, as I noted above, many bugs were fixed between 10.4.0 and 10.4.11 that are still present in 10.3.9. The other reason is that 10.4.x has had two and a half years of bug fixes applied while 10.3.x had about one and half years of bug fixing.

I'm relatively risk-averse and I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.2. I probably should have waited for 10.4.3 as I found (subjectively) that 10.4.2 seemed to be a bit less stable. Unless Resolution Independence is available sooner or I buy the rumored ultraportable, I'll upgrade to Leopard somewhere between 10.5.3 and 10.5.5.