Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

hfuhfu
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let's collect some information that will best represent what's going to be released after July 15th. Based on previous MBP and MB release cycles and closely matched systems released by other vendors such as Lenovo, Sony, Asustek, etc we can expect some of these specs and features will be incorporated in MBP and MB.

MBP

* Intel Centrino 2 with vPro up to 2.8GHz 6MB Cache (featuring faster 1066MHz FSB, 45nm)

* Cantiga Chipset PM45 (65nm)

* 250GB/320GB 5400RPM HDD, Optional 200GB/320GB 7200RPM HDD

* Nvidia 9xxx M Series 256MB/512MB (55nm)

* DDR2 RAM (800MHz DDR2), DDR3 RAM (1067MHz DDR3)

* WiFi / Bluetooth, Optional WiMax

* LED Panels

* Firewire 400/800 Port

* 6+ Hours Battery

MB

* Intel Centrino 2 with vPro up to 2.6GHz 3MB Cache (featuring faster 1066MHz FSB, 45nm)

* Cantiga Chipset GM45 (65nm)

* 250GB/320GB 5400RPM HDD

* Intel GMA 4500MHD

* DDR2 RAM (800MHz DDR2)

* WiFi / Bluetooth

* Firewire 400 Port

* 6+ Hours Battery

Since DDR3-1066 SODIMM still cost much higher than DDR2-800 SODIMM, there is a chance the initial release of Montevina MBP and MB will use DDR2-800 SODIMM similar to the latest iMac.

There are also speculation of Nehalem microarchicture which offers HT, Quickpath, etc. However the initial TDP of Nehalem will be much higher than Merom or Penryn until 32nm process due around H1 2010. Therefore, Cantiga/Penyrn (Montevina Platform) will probably be the next best combination since Calistoga/Merom (Napa Platform).

LCD vendors are also pushing for 15.6" and 17.3" 16:9 panels, what's the likelihood Apple adapt these new panels remained to be seen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 189
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Exterior:

I could see them going to the new size panels on the MBPs. Other than that, I don't see much they can do to change as far as the case goes other than making it a bit thinner (.8 maybe?) and lighter. I seriously doubt there will be color options for the Pro line.

As far as the Macbook is concerned, The redesign seems like it would include aluminum casings, several mm thinner, lighter, and eventually a couple color options (black and silver).
  • Reply 2 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    The current MBP LCD case can still house the new 15.6" and 17.3" without changing the overall LCD case dimension, it seems. It only requires replacing the piece of front aluminum frame to fit the new panel diagonal size. The question is at what resolution of LCD panel can 15" MBP use? For 17" model, Apple may adapt 1920x1080 native resolution for the new 17.3" panel. There is not much MBP thickness can change due to the use of built-in optical drive. Perhaps just a slight thinner but not much.

For MB, we can expect Apple to use aluminum, it's just the matter of time. The screen resolution maybe changed to 1280x720 for 16:9 aspect ratio, slightly narrower edge, smaller form factor, and further reduce the weight.

While LCD industry is pushing for HDTV-like resolution to notebook, we may see the Blu-Ray drive in future MBP refresh sooner than later.
  • Reply 3 of 189
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    I'd like to see bigger HDD options for the MB an an aluminum case possibly in a metallic black as well, white keys to set it apart would be nice! Oh and multi touch gesture trackpad like the MBA and MBP. Another USB port as well.

In terms of MBP, a new keyboard to match the MB, MBA and iMac layout and feel, probably the majority of changes will be internal in this case.
  • Reply 4 of 189
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    I'm hoping for the 17.1" panel from LG

Model LG171WU5 1920x1200

8-bit instead of 6-bit

16.7 million colors instead of 256K

RGB LED instead of white LED
  • Reply 5 of 189
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Let's collect some information that will best represent what's going to be released after July 15th. Based on previous MBP and MB release cycles and closely matched systems released by other vendors such as Lenovo, Sony, Asustek, etc we can expect some of these specs and features will be incorporated in MBP and MB.

MBP

* Intel Centrino 2 with vPro up to 2.8GHz 6MB Cache (featuring faster 1066MHz FSB, 45nm)

* Cantiga Chipset PM45 (65nm)

* 250GB/320GB 5400RPM HDD, Optional 200GB/320GB 7200RPM HDD

* Nvidia 9xxx M Series 256MB/512MB (55nm)

* DDR2 RAM (800MHz DDR2), DDR3 RAM (1067MHz DDR3)

* WiFi / Bluetooth, Optional WiMax

* LED Panels

* Firewire 400/800 Port

* 6+ Hours Battery

I think you are pretty close there. I would not be surprised if the CPU clock rate is a little lower for the cheaper MBP and battery life will not likely go past 6 hours.

Also, they will hopefully include a CUDA-ready (or whatever apple equivalent will be called) NVIDIA video card.
  • Reply 6 of 189
    Making keyboard more inline with MB and MBA will also help Apple to reduce manufacturing cost of keyboard parts.

Given so much complained about MBP 6-bit LCD, hopefully Apple will adapt the better LG panels.

It's inevitable Apple will use CUDA ready GPU for future MBP refresh since so much talk about GPU optimization in WWDC08. It would make sense for Apple to release these capable hardware in conjunction with 10.6 development.

While analyzing the possible specs for Montevina MBP Q2 2008 update, it'd be hard to ignore the optional blu-ray drive as many other first-tier notebook vendors are offering it both as standard and BTO models.
  • Reply 7 of 189
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

it'd be hard to ignore the optional blu-ray drive

And with a Blu-Ray drive option they need to go DisplayPort instead of DVI.

And with DisplayPort on laptops they need to introduce new Apple monitors offering DisplayPort input connections.

And while we're at it, we need >4GB of RAM.

Maybe not for today, but if my new laptop should last me 3 years then it definitely should be able to accept more than 4GB of RAM. 3 years from now 4GB is probably going to be minimum standard with 8+ required for serious 64bit programs.
  • Reply 8 of 189
    i'm hoping for a black-anodized MBP, though chances are rather slim imo.

History tells us that Apple offers colour-options only to the lower-end laptops (ibook, macbook).

any thoughts on that.
  • Reply 9 of 189
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

While analyzing the possible specs for Montevina MBP Q2 2008 update, it'd be hard to ignore the optional blu-ray drive as many other first-tier notebook vendors are offering it both as standard and BTO models.

what is the thickness of the drives in these other notebooks - MPB requires a slimmer drive, iirc...

does montevina provide the HDCP pathway needed for blu-ray? possibly, i seem to recall.

have apple sorted out the licensing issues with sony?

will apple support B-R for the consumer market before they provide support for the pro/content-creation market?
  • Reply 10 of 189
    According to Intel data sheet for desktop counter part (GM45 chipset), it supports up to 16GB physical RAM. 8GB RAM support for Montevina MBP would be an option since 4GB DDR3 SODIMM is in production now.

Black-anodized MB or MBP would be a nice option.

The video interface would be an interesting speculation. GM45 chipset with integrated graphics device will support the following general features:

* DirectX 10

* OpenGL 1.5

* Intel Clear Video Technology

* Dual Independent Display

* ADD2/MEC

* HDMI 1.3

* DVI

* Display Port

* Integrated HDCP

* PAVP

* VGA

With all these video related feature supported in Montevina generation chipset, blu-ray support in MBP is not too far away. Though Mac Pro will probably get it first.

ThinkPad R series use 13mm thick B-R internal combo drive in a 1.2" thick system enclosure, it's likely the newer B-R internal combo drive will be updated to 9.5mm thickness for other thinner ThinkPad X, T series.
  • Reply 11 of 189
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    My gut tells me that Apple is moving all of its models to the same aluminum-with-black-accents design scheme. White plastic is out completely, at least for computers. They started with the iMac, and the Macbook Air is a good clue to how the Macbook and MBP are both going to look. I don't know if that will happen for the next update, though.

Also, DisplayPort (while an excellent feature for Apple to adopt) is by no means necessary for Blu-Ray as some people seem to think. DVI is perfectly capable.
  • Reply 12 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

will apple support B-R for the consumer market before they provide support for the pro/content-creation market?

I really don't think it is a matter of desktop having to get it first. Since a DisplayPort connector involves having new monitors as well, I think both will simply get it at the same time! Pro devices mind you, not iMacs or MacBooks.

The moment a MBP comes out with Blu-Ray drive options these things need to happen:

- move the MBP from DVI to DisplayPort

- introduce new Apple monitors with DisplayPort

- offer Blu-Ray drive option for Mac Pro

- offer Mac Pro graphics card with DisplayPort

- offer Pro softwares suites with support for the new intermal Blu-Ray drives

I don't see why all this could not happen in one single product announcement.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to offer Blu-Ray drives in Mac Pros, and consequently a new DisplayPort graphics card and new Apple monitors - and not give laptops an option to use those monitors directly.
  • Reply 13 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I really don't think it is a matter of desktop having to get it first. Since a DisplayPort connector involves having new monitors as well, I think both will simply get it at the same time! Pro devices mind you, not iMacs or MacBooks.

The moment a MBP comes out with Blu-Ray drive options these things need to happen:

- move the MBP from DVI to DisplayPort

- introduce new Apple monitors with DisplayPort

- offer Blu-Ray drive option for Mac Pro

- offer Mac Pro graphics card with DisplayPort

- offer Pro softwares suites with support for the new intermal Blu-Ray drives

I don't see why all this could not happen in one single product announcement.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to offer Blu-Ray drives in Mac Pros, and consequently a new DisplayPort graphics card and new Apple monitors - and not give laptops an option to use those monitors directly.

if the bolded point is indeed something that is necessary, then we won't see B-R on any macs til NAB 09 at the earliest. FCS is undergoing a re-write atm and B-R support in it is proving difficult to implement.
  • Reply 14 of 189
    Quote:

FCS is undergoing a re-write atm and B-R support in it is proving difficult to implement.

Really? That's not good news then... Where did you hear that?

Why is it proving difficult? Wouldn't it use some kind of 'Core' or QuickTime layer - so as long as one of these supports Blu-Ray Final Cut could do too?

Think about it, why would Apple introduce Blu-Ray in Mac Pros and 17" MacBook Pros unless this technology couldn't be used for their pro authoring suites like Final Cut? Just to have the option to view Blu-Ray movies and write a few (really expensive) Blu-Ray data DVD-Rs? Not sure that's a compelling enough reason for Apple.

If you own a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro with a Blu-Ray drive you want to be able to author Blu-Ray DVDs.

I guess Apple could still offer it as a built-to-order option. But it is much less likely to happen and will certainly not be standard on any configuration if their own software suite can't make use of Blu-Ray.

Bummer.
  • Reply 15 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Think about it, why would Apple introduce Blu-Ray in Mac Pros and 17" MacBook Pros unless this technology couldn't be used for their pro authoring suites like Final Cut? Just to have the option to view Blu-Ray movies and write a few (really expensive) Blu-Ray data DVD-Rs? Not sure that's a compelling enough reason for Apple.

If you own a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro with a Blu-Ray drive you want to be able to author Blu-Ray DVDs.

Bummer.

i thoroughly agree!

although apple did use dvd-rom drives back around c. G4 400/450 (AGP). but i think since the "superdrive" came out along with pro-app and iLife support for it, user culture has changed and mac users expect more than playback and data storage.

B-R spec is alot more complicated than dvd. esp. BD-i.
  • Reply 16 of 189
    Quote:

If "professionals" want Blu-Ray now, they can have it now. That's what the empty optical drive bay in the Mac Pro is for.
  • Reply 17 of 189
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Hi all, I threw together this quick mockup. I hope it encapsulates our desires for the new MBP while retaining and exploring the MBA form factor advantages.

• Reply 18 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If "professionals" want Blu-Ray now, they can have it now. That's what the empty optical drive bay in the Mac Pro is for.

by booting into windows, you mean?
  • Reply 19 of 189
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

by booting into windows, you mean?

If that's what they have to do. If the software doesn't exist for the Mac, there must not be much demand.
  • Reply 20 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If that's what they have to do. If the software doesn't exist for the Mac, there must not be much demand.

oh, of course.