Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hi all, I threw together this quick mockup. I hope it encapsulates our desires for the new MBP while retaining and exploring the MBA form factor advantages.

Looks nice! With enclosure as thin as MBA, it would be a challenge for Apple to include internal super drive.
  • Reply 22 of 189
    heron88heron88 Posts: 3member
    I dont think I would like a complete case redesign unless it were something really good. And I dont think you can improve much of anything on the current Macbook Pro case. If anything I would like to see something like this:

I am buying a MBP within the next month or so. I almost purchased one yesterday but then I decided that I would wait until after Intel releases Montevina on the 14th. Then I will wait until the first Tuesday of August for a MBP update.
  • Reply 23 of 189
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hi all, I threw together this quick mockup. I hope it encapsulates our desires for the new MBP while retaining and exploring the MBA form factor advantages.

Nice photoshop there but it is not going to happen. The ultrathin form factor will remain air's domain. The MBP will not get much thinner than it is now because it emphasizes functionality and power instead of portability.
  • Reply 24 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Nice photoshop there but it is not going to happen. The ultrathin form factor will remain air's domain. The MBP will not get much thinner than it is now because it emphasizes functionality and power instead of portability.

I speculate that the new case redesign won't happen until next year.

I think the MBs are the only ones that are getting an update for the case.

What say you? 100% on a new case for the MBP? Just MB?
  • Reply 25 of 189
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

I speculate that the new case redesign won't happen until next year.

I think the MBs are the only ones that are getting an update for the case.

What say you? 100% on a new case for the MBP? Just MB?

I think, as I said earlier, that they'll both get a new design inspired by the MBA. for the Pro, this means more rounded corners and sloping edges, a magnetic latch and new keyboard. It won't actually get any thinner, though. I'd say it's about 50/50 that the regular Macbook will get this design, too.

You're probably right about a redesign not happening until next year, although there will certainly be an internal update soonish.
  • Reply 26 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think, as I said earlier, that they'll both get a new design inspired by the MBA. for the Pro, this means more rounded corners and sloping edges, a magnetic latch and new keyboard. It won't actually get any thinner, though. I'd say it's about 50/50 that the regular Macbook will get this design, too.

You're probably right about a redesign not happening until next year, although there will certainly be an internal update soonish.

I'm quick to agree.

The past three months I've been a freak on like 5 websites trying to look at the history of people speculating on a case redesign...

...and these people have been doing it for the past two years.

Even AppleInsider won't put all their chips on a case redesign, because he/she knows it's bs speculation.

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!
  • Reply 27 of 189
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Think about it, why would Apple introduce Blu-Ray in Mac Pros and 17" MacBook Pros unless this technology couldn't be used for their pro authoring suites like Final Cut? Just to have the option to view Blu-Ray movies and write a few (really expensive) Blu-Ray data DVD-Rs? Not sure that's a compelling enough reason for Apple.

It makes a lot of sense for Apple to release the next batch of pro hardware with a Blu-ray drive even if their pro authoring suites do not have the ability to create Blu-ray content. Would you want to shell out the money for an 8/12/16 core Mac Pro without a Blu-ray drive only to have Apple update Final Cut Studio that can author Blu-ray content a couple months later?

At the very least, 3rd party software would get created to use the Blu-ray drives. LaCie sells an external Blu-ray drive and it comes with Toast Titanium that only needs Mac OS X 10.4.8 to function. As far as players are concerned, I am sure Apple will provide an application (BD-Player) that will play Blu-ray disks. Then there is VLC and DivX
  • Reply 28 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

I'm quick to agree.

The past three months I've been a freak on like 5 websites trying to look at the history of people speculating on a case redesign...

...and these people have been doing it for the past two years.

Right. But now something has changed: there is now a third laptop design in the mix, new and different from both older designs. And the iMac design dropped white plastic in favor of aluminum. I think it may indicate a trend.
  • Reply 29 of 189
    Absolutely great thread.

Like many others, I've been waiting for a case update for years. In fact, I want one so badly, I'm still hanging on to a PB G4.

Here are the new features I would expect in a major update:

Magnetic latch

Easily-accessible HD

Chiclet keyboard (I once thought that Apple would take a conservative approach and leave the keyboard alone, but even the MBA was given the chiclet keyboard.)

Aluminum and black aluminum case components

I suppose a minor update could be made to the current case, and in that, I would only expect a magnetic latch.

I understand that Apple finds the current MBP design difficult to improve on (anyone would), but I am bewildered that it hasn't been updated with the magnetic latch yet. It's been more than two years since the MacBook was released with that feature.

As for the MB, I expect aluminum and black aluminum case components, and possibly LED backlighting in the black model, or if Apple is generous, in all models. I found the difference between the fluorescent backlight of the MB and the LED backlight of the MBA to be obvious when comparing the two in store.
  • Reply 30 of 189
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    If the 15" MBP is offered with a BTO option of 1920x1200 resolution, then I'll buy one.
  • Reply 31 of 189
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    I really hope that the MBP update comes soon. I need a new laptop by mid August. I would LOVE to see a mobile version of nVidia's brand new GPU(GTX 280). I know Apple is pretty involved in the GPGPU market with them recently announcing OpenCL. Perhaps Apple knew about nVidia's upcoming plans and delayed the MBP because of this? I can only hope.
  • Reply 32 of 189
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

I would LOVE to see a mobile version of nVidia's brand new GPU(GTX 280). I know Apple is pretty involved in the GPGPU market with them recently announcing OpenCL. Perhaps Apple knew about nVidia's upcoming plans and delayed the MBP because of this? I can only hope.

There's no freakin' way. A GTX 280 or 260 would at least quadruple the power requirements of a laptop like the MBP, and the amount of heat it would have to dissipate. It's completely unrealistic. In fact, even the previous-gen midrange GPUs like the 9600GT or HD3850 would be unrealistic in a Macbook-thin enclosure, unless Apple really underclocked them.

The good news about GPGPU, though, is that the current GPUs should be able to do it. At least, CUDA is supported by all of the 8-series NV chips. However I don't know how OpenCL relates to that.
  • Reply 33 of 189
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

I really hope that the MBP update comes soon. I need a new laptop by mid August.

Intel plan to release the new chips in July, so Apple might start shipping in August in time for back-to-school.
  • Reply 34 of 189
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What are people's thoughts on the possibility (maybe not with the next update but one down the road) of Apple switching from a 16:10 display to a 16:9 display? There are rumors of panel suppliers pushing a 15.6-inch 16:9 display into the mainstream, as well as a 17.3" 16:9 display.
  • Reply 35 of 189
    As someone looking to replace my MacBook Pro, I have been following the discussion about whether Apple is going to redesign or merely refresh the current model for a while. I am pleased to have discovered AI and its tech-savvy members as a source of interesting info and tidbits. So hope this first post from an amateur enthusiast makes the grade.

The likely technical specifications posted by HFU seem very credible and any machine incorporating them will be worth buying. But this question about the redesign won't go away. Will they or won't they and when?

I agree with the people who say that the reason Apple hasn't changed the design of the MacBook Pro is because they got it so right the first time. From the little I know about how Apple operates, they were never going to re-design the MacBook Pro until new technology allowed them to incorporate some worthwhile advantages over the existing model. But I am starting to wonder whether that technology has now have arrived.

When the MacBook Air was launched, Apple said that it was able to make it so thin because it used assorted components from the new Penryn chipset which take up much less room than the previous Santa Rosa design. The same chips with various Centrino 2 components used in the MBP similarly take-up much less space than before.

I wonder whether enough space has been liberated to allow Apple to create a much slimmer and lighter enclosure for the MacBook Pro. Losing a few millimeters thickness would surely reduce the overall weight. Add the new flat keyboard and a gesture-enabled trackpad and you get some idea as to how Apple could evolve the current design to provide some useful benefits.

Does anybody know about this or have a view?
  • Reply 36 of 189
    alxthsalxths Posts: 8member
    Is there really any need to make the MBP any thinner? An inch is a nice round number, and I feel like they could take the extra space and improve heat dissipation and hopefully fit a 9600m in there.
  • Reply 37 of 189
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alxths View Post

Is there really any need to make the MBP any thinner? An inch is a nice round number, and I feel like they could take the extra space and improve heat dissipation and hopefully fit a 9600m in there.

Word to Apple: Thinner or not, just make it.
  • Reply 38 of 189
    20mm would also be a nice round number
  • Reply 39 of 189
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

When the MacBook Air was launched, Apple said that it was able to make it so thin because it used assorted components from the new Penryn chipset which take up much less room than the previous Santa Rosa design. The same chips with various Centrino 2 components used in the MBP similarly take-up much less space than before.

Sure, Apple can shave a couple of millimeters from the MBP enclosure, but it will not be because of the cpus/chipsets used. What limits the thining is the size of the ODD, HDD and battery.

The penryn chipset DOESN'T take much less room than the previous Santa Rosa design. There will still be regular size and regular/medium voltage parts as well as smaller parts with medium/low/ultra low voltage. Montevina+Penryn bring more variety to the components choice. All are not smaller, all are not lower voltage.

IMO, Apple will still use regular size and regular voltage cpus/chipsets in the MBP in order to have the fastest computers possible: 35W parts will allow for 2.53/2.66/2.80GHz cpus.

Medium voltage parts (25W) will top at 2.53GHz.

Small package parts (25W) will top at 2.40GHz.

SP LV parts (17W, replacement for the MBA) will top at 1.86GHz.

IMO, the MBP needs to stay on top of the performance.

The MB is the one who will benefit the most of the Montevina platform using 25W parts (2.26/2.40/2.53GHz) and X4500 graphics. Depending on what GM chipset Apple will use in the MB, graphics perfromance could double from the current X3100. And with the 25W parts, the battery life will surely increase significantly.
  • Reply 40 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

I wonder whether enough space has been liberated to allow Apple to create a much slimmer and lighter enclosure for the MacBook Pro. Losing a few millimeters thickness would surely reduce the overall weight. Add the new flat keyboard and a gesture-enabled trackpad and you get some idea as to how Apple could evolve the current design to provide some useful benefits.

A total redesign of MBP line will require Apple engineers to look several years ahead, given the length of history since the day of aluminum PowerBook. There maybe an intermediate minor updates such as keyboard, trackpad, possibly new LCD panels that can be housed in the same top cover, perhaps a bit contour on the shape, but not much on overall thickness. A new case redesign that involved thickness for thermal exchange, several components in current MBP need to be considered:

* thickness of super drive (not sure if pro line users are ready for external MBA super drive)

* thickness of DVI connector (moving toward lower profile HDMI or DisplayPort as some other emerging Montevina notebooks)

* thickness of LCD panel (moving toward thinner LED panels)

The redesigned case will need to cope with first generation Nehalem mobile chip (Auburndale, Clarksfield, 35W~45W Q3 2009) until Intel shift to 32nm Westmere (the Nehalem refresh, 25W~35W H1 2010). Thus the case redesign that involve overall thickness may commence around that time. The first Nehalem chip (45nm) will be built with a pair of Penryn cores that led to die size increase for mobile platform, it further suggests thermal challenge on thinner chassis than the current design.

The current MBP design will likely to support two iterations of Montevina refresh and first generation of Nehalem mobile chip.

* DC Intel T9600 Penryn 2.8GHz 1066MHz 6MB 35W (Montevina Update, Q2 2008)

* DC Intel T9800 Penryn 2.93GHz 1066MHz 6MB 35W (Montevina speedbump refresh, Q1 2009)

* QC Intel QX9300 Penryn 2.53GHz 1066MHz 12MB 45W (Montevina refresh BTO, Q1 2009)

* QC Intel Q9100 Penryn 2.26GHz 1066MHz 12MB 45W (Montevina refresh BTO, Q1 2009)

* DC Intel Auburndale 35W~45W (Calpella Update, Q3 2009)

The two QC chips mentioned above are just speculation since there are rumors suggesting that Intel will make one of those chip (Q9100) a 35W part. If the 35W QC chip indeed turn out to be an option, expect QC mobile computing before thinner case redesign take place.