or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard

Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard - Page 2

post #41 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippetybob View Post

The sooner Apple or somebody else provides a viable alternative to this crapheap of slow old OS9 code, the better

I can't believe it's still carbon .. it's slow and a TOTAL MEMORY USEAGE DISASTER ZONE

You are gravely mistaken. Carbon is not slower than Cocoa, nor does it use more RAM. I don't know about Snow Leopard, but in Leopard and earlier, some of the MacOS X Cocoa frame works run on top of Carbon. QuickTime and menu management come to mind.
post #42 of 190
I bought CS3 about two months before CS4 was announced. Got screwed then. Now, they're dropping support for CS3. Getting screwed again.
post #43 of 190
This begs the question - how far back should a company go to support new operating systems from Apple? One version? Two versions? Or is it time? Six months? One year? Does price of the upgrade play into this?
post #44 of 190
I just can't see upgrading to Snow Leopard in a professional environment for AT LEAST another year anyway. That gives CS3 some life yet and those using it plenty of time to save up for CS4/5.

Adobe knows that CS4 has been less than a runaway success, and it's buggy enough (still!) to make people want to hold off on using it until it is completely stable, even if that means not upgrading the OS. There is NO compelling reason, after all, to even upgrade to Leopard for a lot of places, let alone Snow Leopard. Many places still have multiple G5s that work just fine. So until there is a massive change to Intel hardware over the next two to three years, there is little reason to care about CS3 on Snow Leopard.
post #45 of 190
QA it in India, publish a list of known issues and then when the large install base of CS3 users (who PAID their bonuses) outcries come out and fix it.

Or...

Let those same consumers Search for "alternative to photoshop"
post #46 of 190
This statement is probably a well thought out Adobe strategy to increase users to update. Has anyone tried CS3 in the pre release Snow Kitty yet? I doubt it would have any problems but I could be wrong.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #47 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

So until there is a massive change to Intel hardware over the next two to three years, there is little reason to care about CS3 on Snow Leopard.

Umm...there are other more important reasons some of us are upgrading to Snow Leopard besides Photoshop. Final Cut Studio 3 performance improvements anyone? Photoshop CS3 is just a tool that I use in addition to FCS 3. If it stops working, I will seek alternatives until CS5 is out. Not worth it for me to upgrade to CS4.
post #48 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmique View Post

I can only think that this is part of an overall policy to make people update to a version that has little added value for an exorbitant price.

This was confirmed recently when I updated my Canon camera - now there is no Adobe RAW update for this camera in CS3 and I have to convert all CR2 files to PNG before I can even edit. Having spent £600 on a new camera, Adobe now expect me to spend another £500+ on CS4 to see my photos!!!

I may be misunderstanding you here, but wouldn't Aperture be a solution for you.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #49 of 190
Hmmm,

This makes me glad I decided to stick with the last Macromedia Suite (I use FireWorks extensively) and not upgrade to either CS3 or CS4. Sure, I have to run it in Rosetta, but frankly I haven't seen where Adobe has improved things enough to justify the switch.

This kind of tomfoolery, abandoning a huge installed user base -- especially with a relatively recent product -- is just inexcusable for a corporation as ubiquitous as Adobe. Not every small business out there has $600 per seat to drop every two years.

Maybe I ought to spend some of that money on a PayPal donation to help get The Gimp for Mac up to par.
post #50 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelp View Post

I bought CS3 about two months before CS4 was announced. Got screwed then. Now, they're dropping support for CS3. Getting screwed again.

How is anybody screwing you? Did CS3 suddenly stop working when CS4 was released? Does CS3 no longer work now Apple have release SL? No, to both.

Nobody says you have to upgrade your OS or your hardware.
post #51 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morky View Post

If you have any memory of the recent evolution of OS X, Adobe has bent over backwards for this platform:

2000 - 2002: Migration of suite from OS 9 to OS X, a completely new OS.

2005-2006: Migration from PPC/Codeweaver to Universal/Xcode. This required changing not just their code base, but their entire development process, using a yet unproven tool: XCode. They even helped Apple improve XCode during this process.

2008- Sorry, Adobe, we changed our mind: no 64-bit Carbon. This forced Adobe to move their entire suite to Cocoa for CS5.

They are doing a remarkable job keeping up with these changes in the course of their regular upgrade cycle. I think things will finally settle down for them, as there is not much left that Apple can do to them, but they have had a rough nine years supporting a huge, complex suite on the Mac platform. We should all be thankful they didn't give up or simply skip major releases on the Mac.

Just a question; wouldn't the tools Apple now provide to developers for Snow Kitty conversion be of any help to Adobe with CS3 or is there a technical problem preventing this?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #52 of 190
Is this payback for iPhones not supporting FLASH?
post #53 of 190
It's hard to image a company even 1,000th the size of Adobe not supporting software less than a year out of date in a new mac os.

I pity myself for being stuck in their web of corporate B.S. ...

With no other competition in the field, they can be obtuse to the real needs of their user base and seemingly "get away with it".

Aaarrrgh.
post #54 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

Hmmm,

This makes me glad I decided to stick with the last Macromedia Suite (I use FireWorks extensively) and not upgrade to either CS3 or CS4. Sure, I have to run it in Rosetta, but frankly I haven't seen where Adobe has improved things enough to justify the switch.

This kind of tomfoolery, abandoning a huge installed user base -- especially with a relatively recent product -- is just inexcusable for a corporation as ubiquitous as Adobe. Not every small business out there has $600 per seat to drop every two years.

Maybe I ought to spend some of that money on a PayPal donation to help get The Gimp for Mac up to par.

I have long wished Apple would add to their pro suit line up, both vector and a pixel based graphics applications (or even one to do both) to replace the need for PS and Illustrator.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #55 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have long wished Apple would add to their pro suit line up, both vector and a pixel based graphics applications (or even one to do both) to replace the need for PS and Illustrator.

Yeah. They're acting like Quark Express did before they started to go away...
post #56 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macornot View Post

It's hard to image a company even 1,000th the size of Adobe not supporting software less than a year out of date in a new mac os.

I pity myself for being stuck in their web of corporate B.S. ...

Can I ask what field you're in; print media, web dev?
post #57 of 190
Gustav, try to read before you post !
You're right though .. Carbon is not necessarily slower, but let's face it .. it probably is slower .. and definitely is less flexible - why else is it being depricated ?

Whether carbon uses more RAM, in inconsequential .. The fact is that photoshop gobbles many GB's of RAM and disk resource to apply a simple transform. Do a transform real-time in Preview with the same image .. hey .. no problem !

I don't care if it's carbon or somebody left a bunch of space invader code in there -- just fix it already !

Adobe Photoshop's memory management is atrocious .. I am not suggesting this is related to Carbon, but I wouldn't rule it out either

Now I'm tired of it .. and I want an alternative

Microsoft have fallen into the same ditch .. yep let's just milk the old code till we have to change it .. well too late !

I really dont expect (and can't) pay every 18 months for essentially the same warmed over old code. Some comments here are bang-on .. iphoto and preview do the basics better than photoshop .. it's old and tired .. and it's time for change

Adobe you just screwed the golden goose (to mix some metaphors)
post #58 of 190
.. and Nash (Adobe) .. citing lack of resources is just not on !

You keep taking all my resources and the resources of hundreds of thousands of poor users for using your ancient code
post #59 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw View Post

How is anybody screwing you? Did CS3 suddenly stop working when CS4 was released? Does CS3 no longer work now Apple have release SL? No, to both.

Nobody says you have to upgrade your OS or your hardware.

besides CS3 runs on SL. why everyone whines?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...6&postcount=20
post #60 of 190
.. why everyone whines ?

well because every 18 months Adobe charges creative professionals more than what people spend on their hardware to stay current with this pile of inefficient old code
post #61 of 190
Oh look. All the naysayers are coming out of the closet and changing their stance on pirating.

Maybe now you'll realize how for some, torrenting isn't about blatant pirating.
post #62 of 190
Boycott Adobe! Pirate Adobe! Steal Adobe! Hack Adobe! Short Adobe! Never purchase another Adobe product again!

Hey, why should these scumbags support a $1000 program they sold until last year when they can screw their customers? It's time for all of us to screw Adobe royally.

That said, CS3 works as well as CS4 with SL. The punks @ Adobe are trying to trick us into an needless upgrade.

I want us all to bankrupt Adobe!
post #63 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just a question; wouldn't the tools Apple now provide to developers for Snow Kitty conversion be of any help to Adobe with CS3 or is there a technical problem preventing this?

I think Adobe focuses on upcoming versions as opposed to patching older versions when the OS platforms change. However, there should be no ground-shaking platform, OS, or development environment changes on the Mac for the foreseeable future, so maybe it will be less of a strain on Adobe to start offering patches for previous versions when new Mac OS versions come out.
post #64 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morky View Post

I think Adobe focuses on upcoming versions as opposed to patching older versions when the OS platforms change. However, there should be no ground-shaking platform, OS, or development environment changes on the Mac for the foreseeable future, so maybe it will be less of a strain on Adobe to start offering patches for previous versions when new Mac OS versions come out.

Man I'm good. From John Nack's blog today:

"[Update: No one said anything about CS3 being "not supported" on Snow Leopard. The plan, however, is not to take resources away from other efforts (e.g. porting Photoshop to Cocoa) in order to modify 2.5-year-old software in response to changes Apple makes in the OS foundation.]"
post #65 of 190
And more from the horse's mouth (blogs.adobe.com) (note that Adobe isn't nearly as opaque as Apple):

"Think of what fixing something [in CS3] would mean: all your engineers (QE and Dev) haven't touched that code/processes in 3+ years and have been working on 2 generations ahead. You'd have to stop work on CS5, have a huge paradigm shift to look at the older code/tools/problems, frustrate all your engineering staff doing that (no one wants to look back at bugs they already fixed), reconfigure build machines and test machines (remember Apple's dev tools are tied to OS releases, so to build CS3 you'd have to setup Tiger Machines to build, using old versions of XCode, and debugging can't be native so you must use painful remote debugging, etc.). When you think about it, it quickly becomes impractical. Basically, the choice is fixes for CS3, costs for the switch backwards would probably well into the 8 figure dollar amounts, and a 6 month delay for CS5 (with an even higher lost opportunity costs), all for the chance to gain no additional revenue and have an investor revolt and stock value plummet, while your current customers leave in frustration because it takes you much longer between releases... or... since you can't fix anything that breaks in CS3, why bother to test much?

If this was your company, which would you choose: (1) Focus on making the best products that you can and making most of your current and future customers happy -or- (2) focus on old products, using old tools and technology, to make your out-of-date customers happy?"
post #66 of 190
Quote:

Can I ask what field you're in; print media, web dev?

Had the pleasure of doing both.

Now using cs 2 & 3 on differnent machines.
Will be interesting to see how buggy they get on 10.5...
post #67 of 190
Quote:

I meant to say 10.6...
post #68 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippetybob View Post

.. why everyone whines ?

well because every 18 months Adobe charges creative professionals more than what people spend on their hardware to stay current with this pile of inefficient old code

If you don't like the software don't use it. And if it's a matter of being current why does anybody care about CS3, shouldn't they be using the latest version if staying current is their wish?
post #69 of 190
Quote:

If you don't like the software don't use it. And if it's a matter of being current why does anybody care about CS3, shouldn't they be using the latest version if staying current is their wish?

Do you have *any* *idea* how much it costs to upgrade the CS3 suite to CS4?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #70 of 190
Quote:

Just as an example, nothing personal:

If I asked you to develope my website, and we agreed on spec and price, and you supplied a product I was happy with; would you feel obliged, when 18months later I update my hardware, or some function of the site, to carry on updating your site because of changes I want to make to the spec? Would you expect to be paid?
post #71 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

If there was ever a justification for pirating software, Adobe is at the forefront of making a case. CS3 isn't a decade old legacy program; its not even three years old.

There is never a justification for pirating software.
post #72 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Boycott Adobe! Pirate Adobe! Steal Adobe! Hack Adobe! Short Adobe! Never purchase another Adobe product again!
I want us all to bankrupt Adobe!

Be careful for what you wish, for it may come true.

No Adobe, no Adobe software, nothing

Is that what you REALLY WANT?
post #73 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.b View Post

do you have *any* *idea* how much it costs to upgrade the cs3 suite to cs4?

*£515*
post #74 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Do you have *any* *idea* how much it costs to upgrade the CS3 suite to CS4?

So how much do you think that my car dealer should charge me to upgrade my 1, 2 or 3 year old cars?
post #75 of 190
The Donger say: No more yankie my wankie.

CS3 run fine on Snow Cat. You no more wine about it.

Must go now. The Donger need food.
post #76 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

So how much do you think that my car dealer should charge me to upgrade my 1, 2 or 3 year old cars?

If he asks more than £1,000 it's an outrage! I think you should just steal one off the forecourt to teach the greedy swine a lesson
post #77 of 190
i've had cs4 for quite a while.

i like it. imo, it was a decent upgrade for the money.

it really doesn't take much to recoup the cost for the upgrade. i just finished a job that took care of that. my priorities probably aren't that much different than most on these threads. yes, it's terribly slow job-wise out there, and i'm having to work a couple of jobs for utw, but you make due with what you have.

do you people want the upgrade for free? if you want to continue using cs3, keep running it on leopardit's a perfectly viable os and everything works fine. if you HAVE to have snow leopard, run it on your primary drive with the knowledge that it's not going to be supported, or get another drive. as someone on this thread posted, no obvious problems running cs3 on sl.

i believe not having what you want, when you want it, is part of the maturation process. we fan boys are always telling pc users that they don't have to buy apple. you guys don't have to upgrade to cs4. no one's twisting your arm.
post #78 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Be careful for what you wish, for it may come true.

No Adobe, no Adobe software, nothing

Is that what you REALLY WANT?

Yes! There is no company in the software industry that gouges and screws their customers more frequently than Adobe. I use Pixelmator half the time anyway.
post #79 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelp View Post

If I recall at the time, you could have upgraded to the CS4 for less than $200 or even nothing. Whatever it was, the difference in price, was more significant than in the increased power and functionality that the new suite offered.

Just how do you expect Adobe to support CS3 on Snow Leopard baffles me. CS3 wasn't programmed for dual core 64-bit processing?

Do you know what "support" means?
post #80 of 190
Quote:

If he asks more than £1,000 it's an outrage! I think you should just steal one off the forecourt to teach the greedy swine a lesson

Let us know when you open your dealership.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard