or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Hardware makers plan preemptive strike against Apple tablet at CES

Hardware makers plan preemptive strike against Apple tablet at CES - Page 3

post #81 of 166
I don’t think these others have made a tablet for CES simply because they think Apple is coming out with one. I think tech has shifted to make it more viable now than in year’s past, which is why I think this is indirect proof of Apple coming to market with their own offering.

The Notion device has some compelling tech but that won’t make it a good product if the UI and UX are subpar. So far I’ve seen no tablet that makes me say, “I want/need that!”.

I’ve been saying for awhile now this is the year of the tablet and media extender. So far I appear to be half right. \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

these 2 things.

well lookie here...

The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #83 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Sadly I know one of these people. I was all I could do not to laugh in the poor dudes face when he said: "I bought this iPod, where is all the music?"

He freaked out when I told him he had to install iTunes on his PC, buy the music and then put it on the iPod.

I wish I were joking.

It may be a distinction without a difference but the iPod touch does have the ability to make purchases directly from the iTunes store (music, apps, TV and movies). It does cost $200 for the smallest (8GB) model and it is arguably not a real iPod but it can operate on its own after being set up. When you take it new, from the box it definitely needs a connection to Apple via iTunes, but it seems like it could operate on its own after that.
post #84 of 166
Apple will blow them away INSTANTLY!! I am sure
post #85 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm not arguing that Mac's can save companies IT money, that's a fact.

The fact is it costs in other areas:

1: Retraining

2: Machines can't be serviced in house as most Mac's are closed devices.

3: Privacy and security, hard drives can't be removed from most Mac's.

4: Lack of hardware choices from Apple. OS X tie-in to their hardware.

5: Not enough software choices or third party software only on larger market share Windows.

1. Not much retraining involved, since MacOS X Server is vastly easier to learn and maintain than any variant of Windows I've ever had to deal with.

2. Uh, iMacs maybe (although it's quite easy to replace the drive in the latest batch of iMacs), MacBook & MBP is correct (due to the new unibody design). but MacPro and Xserve?!? Seriously?

3. ?!?!? Seriously?!? I guess you've never seen the guts of a MacPro or Xserve, arguably some of the easiest machines on the planet when it comes to swapping out drives.

(points 2 & 3 are proof to me that you are actually a troll, but I digress)

4. that's why they work so well.

5.Enough software choices to do required tasks. In addition, the majority of Windows software available for businesses are also available for the Mac now.

Another word of advice: using the tired "security through obscurity" myth ruins your credibility even further.
post #86 of 166
Is everyone in this thread forgetting that media tablets currently exist? you all do know about Archos right? and tablet computers have existed for quite a few years, look at the microsoft tablet pc's!! So if these devices exist, why do we not hear much about them? why do I only hear about apples iSlate device?
post #87 of 166
"The company hopes that devices less than $200..."

I understand the price point, but do they have to make them so ugly and cheap looking?
post #88 of 166
Quote:

well lookie here
image: http://i1.phonearena.com/showimage.p...=name&id=27156

If you are going to post a joke image you might as well explain its funny. It certainly isnt to be taken seriously.
post #89 of 166
oohhh some more lookie looks...

post #90 of 166
The suggestion that Macs can only be service by Apple and cannot be serviced in-house is ludicrous.

Apple, moreso than most hardware and/or software dealers has extensive training and certification programs. For example:

"The Apple Service Provider program is designed for companies interested in offering service to Apple customers, whether they are consumers, businesses, educational institutions or government organizations. Authorized Apple Resellers and businesses that specialize in service, but do not resell Apple finished goods products, are both able to apply for Apple Service Provider authorization. Universities and colleges may apply for Service Provider authorization to deliver repair services to their students. Educational institutions who wish only to repair their own equipment should apply to the Self-Servicing Program. All repairs covered under warranty must be performed by Apple-certified technicians."

I know of 4 Fortune 100 companies that have IT departments fully staffed with certified AppleCare, iPhone, Apple-certified technicians, Self-Servicing, Macintosh Technician, etc., programs that can do everything that most of us are only familiar with on the consumer side.

The same training/certification/experience criteria for most IT departments/personnel are no different whether it is working on Macs or PCs.

Anyone interested should start view Apple's Training and Certification page at http://training.apple.com/#certification

As far as we know, there is no product that Apple produces, hardware or software, that can only be services by Apple directly.

And for those that are equally ignorant of just how important extensive Apple is involved in enterprise, perhaps a perusal of the Apple Professional Services and Business sites at http://www.apple.com/services/consulting/ and http://www.apple.com/business/ respectively would be in order.
post #91 of 166
Quote:

well lookie here...

HOW big is the device?
post #92 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Is everyone in this thread forgetting that media tablets currently exist? you all do know about Archos right? and tablet computers have existed for quite a few years, look at the microsoft tablet pc's!! So if these devices exist, why do we not hear much about them? why do I only hear about apples iSlate device?

Because Apple has a track record of taking an idea like "tablet computer" and rethinking it in a way that makes it actually useful and desirable.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #93 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you are going to post a joke image you might as well explain it’s funny. It certainly isn’t to be taken seriously.

I'm just the messenger.

Does look like it was pasted together by a first grade graphic artist and a copy machine.

But perhaps that's what it takes to be ultra secure at Cupertino.
post #94 of 166
Quote:

And how has that been doing for them? We hear nothing about it, so we assume there's nothing worth talking about. I'm sure they serve a very small niche, just like what happened with MP3 players before Apple came in with a "best of breed" that everyone could use.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #95 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Price is going to be absolutely critical. If you already have an iPhone and a MacBook/MBP then this 'in between' device is going to be a luxury unless it's very affordable. .

Of COURSE this is going to be a luxury item!!
No Rev 1 of an Apple product is bargain basement.
I swear, some people would expect BMW to come out with a new vehicle paradigm, and sell it for $15K.
Ain't gonna happen folks... Count on $1k. And the lines will be enormous.
post #96 of 166
Quote:

Sounds more like a emotional rant that a argument, what are your points?

I guess the smiley means you're joking, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how or why. Is there something that you're not understanding in my post?
post #97 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

1. Not much retraining involved, since MacOS X Server is vastly easier to learn and maintain than any variant of Windows I've ever had to deal with.

I'm not talking server, that's smart IT guys, I'm talking OS X with typical office users. That's the hard part, retraining them with a new UI. A company is going to suffer productivity loss while these people come up to speed, if they can.

Quote:
2. Uh, iMacs maybe (although it's quite easy to replace the drive in the latest batch of iMacs), MacBook & MBP is correct (due to the new unibody design). but MacPro and Xserve?!? Seriously?

Yes most Mac's, Apple sometimes allow access and then other times not. Inconsistency is not desirable in business. Again MacPro and Server are for computer savvy folks, so business just has to pay for these devices when a iMac or a laptop is more suitable? Seriously?

3. repeat.

Quote:
4. that's why they work so well.

True, but businesses have different needs of hardware, like matte screens for laptops and ToughBooks, ATM machines and POS devices, etc. that Apple doesn't provide.

Quote:
5.Enough software choices to do required tasks. In addition, the majority of Windows software available for businesses are also available for the Mac now.

You mean basic common tasks, there is no AutoCAD or that Windows/IE specific real estate software used by the industry neither.

Had a real estate lady buy a Mac and came to me for help, I had then had to install Citrix to get it to use IE.

What a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Another word of advice: using the tired "security through obscurity" myth ruins your credibility even further.

Not really, it's a unknown. We really don't know if OS X will stand the test of the rest of the world hacking on it or not.

OS X has fallen fast in hacking contests, $10,000 rewards and MacBook Pro's were given away in minutes. Proves my point.
post #98 of 166
Quote:

well lookie here...

It's a fake!
Apple don't write spec. lists in the Arial font.

C.
post #99 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I guess the smiley means you're joking, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how or why. Is there something that you're not understanding in my post?

Yes your points, I don't see any.

Perhaps we should just let it be then.
post #100 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont think these others have made a tablet for CES simply because they think Apple is coming out with one. I think tech has shifted to make it more viable now than in years past, which is why I think this is indirect proof of Apple coming to market with their own offering.

The Notion device has some compelling tech but that wont make it a good product if the UI and UX are subpar. So far Ive seen no tablet that makes me say, I want/need that!.

Ive been saying for awhile now this is the year of the tablet and media extender. So far I appear to be half right. \

Yes and no. Apple coming to market is putting these other companies in giddy-up mode, enough so that they feel the need to debut their products before Apple sucks the air out of the room.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #101 of 166
Quote:

well lookie here...

This is how to reply to a post including an image. We really don't need to see the image fifteen times, do we?

FWIW, I call it a fake. A pretty safe bet, at this stage of the game.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #102 of 166
As many comments have noted in various ways, Apple has by far the most extensive consumer "ecosystem" now. iTunes of course. iPhone, iPod, AppleTV. MobileMe. iLife and iWork. third party accessories. the new iTab will fit right in immediately and benefit from seamless integration with all the rest. no other tablet has such an existing ecosystem to support it. Android has Google's "cloud" services of course, but still no desktop interface or other hardware. WinMo will try to pull it together with Windows 7 by the end of this year, but not now. Nokia is trying to put it together with Ovi by next year, but has a long, long, long way to go. Google is working on its Chrome OS, but that by definition is not cross-platform and so has no installed base to start. Apple's in-place ecosystem is a huge advantage.

The other is the ease of use of the iPhone version of Mac OS and its simplified apps. any tablet running a full desktop OS is instantly extra work to use, because all desktop OS's - Windows, Mac, and Linux - continually require detailed adjustments, maintenance, and updates for their applications and OS. that's fine for the technically-inclined, but for all other consumers it is a drawback they don't want with a tablet - it is supposed to be simple. Any tablet designed to run desktop applications - whether Windows or Linux - will fall into this trap. Android is the only other simplified OS ready for full scale deployment now, but a tablet version will further its fragmentation issue. Apple's ability to instantly extend is iPhone OS and app universe to a tablet and still avoid fragmentation is another huge advantage.
post #103 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Your point misses my main point.

Which personal computer manufacturer makes the most revenue in the US?

Last I knew, that was HP, followed closely by Dell, with Apple a distant third.

Do you have different information? Do I misremember? Have things changed?

Quote:

I think it is Apple (even when we remove iPhone and iPod revenues)

I'd like to see some cites for that claim. I'd be surprised if you were correct, but I like to learn.
post #104 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

But if you're going to invest in individual stocks, buy companies you have reason to expect will grow, not according to some arbitrary rule. And don't try to time the market. Even the pros can't do that consistently.

Likely we agree more than we disagree. My comment was in response to the guy who thought it was a good time to buy based upon the (old) news about the upcoming tablet. I tried to make the point that even if one were to be a market timer, buying now is far from a sure thing.

Personally, not that it matters, but I like good companies in industries which are (temporarily) out of favor. I favor value investing, using a medium-term horizon. Not market timing. And certainly not loading up on a stock, based upon old news, in anticipation of quick profits.
post #105 of 166
Quote:

Is everyone in this thread forgetting that media tablets currently exist? you all do know about Archos right?

I bought an Archos 5 for my kid. Sweet little device. 800x480 5 inch touchscreen, multiple audio and video codec support, 60 gig drive, 720p ouput to the TV...

It makes the iTouch look sick.
post #106 of 166
Quote:

I'm not talking server, that's smart IT guys, I'm talking OS X with typical office users. That's the hard part, retraining them with a new UI. A company is going to suffer productivity loss while these people come up to speed, if they can.

I do welcome your posts. They have a tendancy to make the apparent intelligence of every other poster appear to be 20 IQ points or so greater than would otherwise be the case.
post #107 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Likely we agree more than we disagree. My comment was in response to the guy who thought it was a good time to buy based upon the (old) news about the upcoming tablet. I tried to make the point that even if one were to be a market timer, buying now is far from a sure thing.

Personally, not that it matters, but I like good companies in industries which are (temporarily) out of favor. I favor value investing, using a medium-term horizon. Not market timing. And certainly not loading up on a stock, based upon old news, in anticipation of quick profits.

Well right, attempts to make quick profits often turn into quick losses. But I'd go back to my suggestion that buying on rumor is never a good idea, no matter what the old saw says.

Frankly, most people shouldn't even be buying individual stocks, but that's another issue.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #108 of 166
Quote:

Your point misses my main point.

Which personal computer manufacturer makes the most revenue in the US?

I think it is Apple (even when we remove iPhone and iPod revenues)

That is not niche. It's freaking huge!

C.

Ruling the Premium end of the market is not "niche." It's the most prized position any manufacturer could hope for. Instant exponential growth in mindhsare. Boom. The Premium end builds your brand like nothing else.
post #109 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Going out on a limb - It will not be called iSlate. In fact it won't be called "i" anything.

It won't be called the Mac Touch.
post #110 of 166
[QUOTE=solipsism;1543171]I dont think these others have made a tablet for CES simply because they think Apple is coming out with one. I think tech has shifted to make it more viable now than in years past, which is why I think this is indirect proof of Apple coming to market with their own offering.

I agree that 3 or 4 were pre-announced last year at CES and this year is going to show more finished products.

What I question is just what the new tablets are trying to do? Are they going to have a screen like the e-readers that you can use in the sun?

I have used various tablets and convertible laptops, currently have a Toshiba, and still feel that it is a niche market. Why carry a large unit when an iphone will handle most data requirements.

WSJ announced this PM that the tablet will be in the 10in size range.
post #111 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ruling the Premium end of the market is not "niche." It's the most prized position any manufacturer could hope for. Instant exponential growth in mindhsare. Boom. The Premium end builds your brand like nothing else.

All products are niche products, except maybe food, water and air. Some niches are just more profitable than others.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #112 of 166
Quote:

Like your optimism but here are the facts.

Businesses who need to hire IT personal usually to fix other things besides Windows.

Even a company filled with just Mac's needs IT personnel, to maintain servers, data, backups, hardware maintenance, upgrades and hand holding/teaching.

It only takes a few minutes of actual labor to reinstall Windows if it's hosed. Take the machine into the shop and "ghost" the drive from a master and go do something else while that's working. Return the machine in a hour, it's that simple.

Another fact is that most people know and businesses use Windows and Office, schools teach it, the business world uses it. It's done, no possible penetration possible, even free OpenOffice hasn't made any real headway.

Another fact is OS X is tied to hardware, if your business needs matte screen laptops for the road warriors, Apple doesn't sell them except in a very few models. So choice of hardware is another problem, Toughbook with OS X? Dream on!

Apple doesn't give a rats ass, they want to sell flashy devices to home consumers and be absolutely no threat to Microsoft and the PC industry at all.

Forget all about OS X taking over the world, it's not going to happen. Apple is already introducing a new closed UI on consumer devices and that's going to be their market.

You want a real computer 10 years from now? It will be a Windows machine.

Sure a few companies can save money by going all Mac, but Apple is flaky and so is their hardware choices. Try getting video card upgrades for your Apple towers over the years and you'll see what I mean.

Also most Mac's are closed boxes, this makes it difficult to remove drive and service the device in house. The whole machine (and your companies private data) goes off to lala land to be fixed.

Since it's so easy to clone a Windows machine from a master, the benefits of going all Mac in business doesn't offset the drawbacks and limited hardware choices Apple provides.

Steve got that money from Gates to breath life into Apple and not to be a threat to his empire by going off into another direction. Apple Computer>Apple etc.

Sorry that's the truth and that comes from a 20 year Mac veteran.

Well stated.
post #113 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well right, attempts to make quick profits often turn into quick losses. But I'd go back to my suggestion that buying on rumor is never a good idea, no matter what the old saw says.

Frankly, most people shouldn't even be buying individual stocks, but that's another issue.

Again we agree. I'd even go further: Most folks should weight index funds very heavily in their portfolio.
post #114 of 166
Those specs are just overkill for a tablet so I severely doubt those photos are real...and if it is, well that's 599/699 pricing right there for you.

All the PC manufacturers will bomb out of the tablet, and the odds are stacked very heavily against the tablet right now based on how the tablet market IS and whatever price they put the tablet at.
post #115 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Last I knew, that was HP, followed closely by Dell, with Apple a distant third.

Do you have different information? Do I misremember? Have things changed?

I'd like to see some cites for that claim. I'd be surprised if you were correct, but I like to learn.

I just gathered these figures. I think they are accurate....

HP Total Quarterly Revenue is $28bn but that includes lots of businesses. EDS and Server stuff.
The Apple-like part of HP is called PSG - and just does PCs and consumer stuff
HP PSG Quarterly Revenue - $8.8bn
Of which PSG profit is very small. Under a billion. Could not find a figure but the margins are about 5%

Dell's Quarterly Revenue is $13bn
Of which profits were 472M!

Wheras
Apple's is turning over $10 billion a quarter.
Of which 1.7bn is profit.

So HP is a bigger company overall. But is about the same revenue as Apple in all PCs and consumer electronics.

Internationally, Dell has a larger turnover than Apple - but like Asus their profitability is pathetic.

Even if you remove Apple's iPod and iPhone businesses. I reckon "niche" Mac is making more money than Dell.

That's a big niche!

C.
post #116 of 166
Quote:

HP Total Quarterly Revenue is $28bn but that includes lots of businesses. EDS and Server stuff.
Of which PSG profit is very small. Under a billion. Could not find a figure but the margins are about 5%

Wheras

So HP is a bigger company overall. But is about the same revenue as Apple in all PCs and consumer electronics.

Internationally, Dell has a larger turnover than Apple - but like Asus their profitability is pathetic.

Even if you remove Apple's iPod and iPhone businesses. I reckon "niche" Mac is making more money than Dell.

That's a big niche!

C.

Interesting stuff. Thanks.
post #117 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The suggestion that Macs can only be service by Apple and cannot be serviced in-house is ludicrous.

....All repairs covered under warranty must be performed by Apple-certified technicians."

Right, one has to be a Apple Cert Tech in order to simply remove a hard drive with sensitive company data from a $1000 iMac or a $600 Mac Mini. That's what is ludicrous!

On the other hand, a basic IT guy with general knowledge can replace a hard drive in just about any $600 PC tower and not violate the warranty.

Apple managed to allow hard drives to be removed from some MacBooks, but then not the MacBook Pro's.

Inconsistency will not drive business people to consider Apple's limited hardware selection when they have 1000's of choices on the PC side and the security of knowing they can change hardware vendors and not suffer a software and retraining penalty.

This why businesses have been putting up with Windows, they have even pushed Microsoft to fix their security and reliability issues, this is a less expensive solution than a complete switch to another platform. Especially one that would be a hardware AND a software monopoly like Apple is.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, I just don't see them addressing the needs of business very well.

Perhaps that's the route John Sculley took and failed, Apple hasn't been taken serious by business types since and Microsoft firmly established itself in the meanwhile.

So Apple is going off with being a consumer products company, nothing wrong with that of course. Very profitable niche, not much market share though.
post #118 of 166
Quote:

Wheras

That's a big niche!

C.

The comparisons are unfair.

Dell is certainly selling more computers than Apple, but Apple is selling other things in addition that is making more profit and cost less, like media for instance and the nice kickback from AT&T for the iPhones.

Also the profits Microsoft makes from each copy of Windows needs to be figured in Dells profits too, not a cost, in order to more closely match Apple's, because Apple makes their own OS.
post #119 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I do welcome your posts. They have a tendancy to make the apparent intelligence of every other poster appear to be 20 IQ points or so greater than would otherwise be the case.

Define "tendancy"
post #120 of 166
Quote:

The comparisons are unfair.

Dell is certainly selling more computers than Apple, but Apple is selling other things in addition that is making more profit and cost less, like media for instance and the nice kickback from AT&T for the iPhones.

Also the profits Microsoft makes from each copy of Windows needs to be figured in Dells profits too, not a cost, in order to more closely match Apple's, because Apple makes their own OS.

Ah... no. Dell has to buy the OS from Microsoft, so that is an expense. On the other side of the ledger, they don't have to spend dollars developing one.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Hardware makers plan preemptive strike against Apple tablet at CES