or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'

ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids' - Page 2

post #41 of 156
Maybe "out of control" means it's equivalent to Microsoft's Natal project. To control your Tablet, you have to hang it on the wall and do the Monkey Boy Dance.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #42 of 156
the ability to drive a projector for native Keynote and PowerPoint presentations, the earth will crumble into tiny little pieces and be swept up by an enormous iRoomba. The day the Mac reaches 25% worldwide, Windows will be history in three years.
post #43 of 156
This statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Again, I have no idea why almost everyone presumes that the Tablet will sport iPhone software?...

And this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

I would love someone to bet for a watered down (but proper) Mac OS!

Are basically equivalent.

The iPhone OS *is* a slightly watered down (but proper) version of OS-X.

It's 100% OS-X with a few things that don't make sense in the new context removed, and a GUI that's "proper" for the new hardware.
post #44 of 156
Perhaps two-finger swipes will be used for switching between apps running simultaneously.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
post #45 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

OH NO!!!

Then you could run what software you liked, instead of what Apple tells you you can run.

And Apple can't make a cut of the proceeds neither with your suggestion!

OH we can't have that, no frigging way!!!

Well *whew*! There was so much softness in the detractor department on this thread, I was beginning to feel the need to start declaiming a bit against all the wistful goodness n fantasy for this device. Just when I was all primed to launch into a

"It's all crap I tell you, you fanboi, delusional sheep! it won't do half of what you wish for, it will suxxors in form factor, be slow as hell and uncomfortable to put in your back pocket! And Apple charges too much for their crap anyway, and gouges the devs mercilessly! And eveyone knows there's nothing, NOTHING but fart apps and lighter apps and stupid pron apps in the App Store anyways! You all are such tools!"

But thankfully 'Trip stepped in and set the record straight. Nice snark buddy - keep 'em coming! AI needs massive reality checks every step of the way and yer just the one to do it! Especially among us poor deluded sheeples in the posts.
post #46 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Well *whew*! There was so much softness in the detractor department on this thread, I was beginning to feel the need to start declaiming a bit against all the wistful goodness n fantasy for this device. Just when I was all primed to launch into a

"It's all crap I tell you, you fanboi, delusional sheep! it won't do half of what you wish for, it will suxxors in form factor, be slow as hell and uncomfortable to put in your back pocket! And Apple charges too much for their crap anyway, and gouges the devs mercilessly! And eveyone knows there's nothing, NOTHING but fart apps and lighter apps and stupid pron apps in the App Store anyways! You all are such tools!"

But thankfully 'Trip stepped in and set the record straight. Nice snark buddy - keep 'em coming! AI needs massive reality checks every step of the way and yer just the one to do it! Especially among us poor deluded sheeples in the posts.

Sheep and perpetual doubters both need reality checks, what MacTripper said wasn't one though.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #47 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

Perhaps two-finger swipes will be used for switching between apps running simultaneously.

I would guess 4 fingers to keep it in line with the multitouch track pads expose activation. 3 would be the minimum, some apps already use 2 finger swipes.
post #48 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Sheep and perpetual doubters both need reality checks, what MacTripper said wasn't one though.

The reality check was returned for insufficient funds?
post #49 of 156
Quote:

Yes, but how about the easy UI AND the choice to run what apps you want? from wherever you want?

Hows Java working out for the consumer?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #50 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I say that Steve or whoever, does the announcement, and at sometime, loads, launches, Ms. Packman, Asteroids or some other game from the 70's and plays it!

Maybe a typo, but you may be showing your age, or I'm showing mine. Those are early 80's games.

I would hope for better demos than rehashing 30 year old games! There's nothing exciting if you played them then.
post #51 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

In a good sense, i e they are just magnificent or in a bad way, i e does not work?

Strange way of putting it. If there is something I don't think Apple does ever in any lifetime is to release a non working product!

"out of control" is always positive unless uttered in a psych ward.
post #52 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

it won't do half of what you wish for, it will suxxors in form factor, be slow as hell and uncomfortable to put in your back pocket!

Exactly why it probably won't have a full blown Snow Leopard OS. I have an iPhone, a MacBook Pro, and a Mac Pro. The rumored tablet should fall somewhere between the iPhone and the MacBook Pro in power and capabilities with its own version of OSX. Why should it be a replacement to some other device? Just like my toolbox in my garage. I have a finish hammer, a framing hammer, rubber mallet and a sledge hammer. I just select the best tool for any given job.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #53 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I would guess 4 fingers to keep it in line with the multitouch track pads expose activation. 3 would be the minimum, some apps already use 2 finger swipes.

Imagine it accepting the entire palm as a gesture?!

On second thought, I think x-rated apps will remain verboten.
post #54 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

"out of control" is always positive unless uttered in a psych ward.

or when making reference to a girlfriend! I.e., if you want her to be out of control, just tell she's out of control!

Just saying.
post #55 of 156
Apple, please focus on delivering the iMac 27" everyone is expecting and waiting for since mid-December .

How many failed X-mas presents

The same Ships: 2 weeks is there for more than 4 weeks .

Strange enough, the Refurb only proposes C2D 27", as if the i5 / i7 were not suitable for a refurb, despite all the fuss about the broken screen and the graphic card \

What's the need for a new gizmo if you can't deliver

AppleInsider, please investigate
post #56 of 156
Quote:

It's the future and it's closed.

Agreed
post #57 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hows Java working out for the consumer?

What does Java got to do with Apple allowing apps to run on the iSlate outside the App Store?
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #58 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Apple, please focus on delivering the iMac 27" everyone is expecting and waiting for since mid-December .

Strange enough, the Refurb only proposes C2D 27", as if the i5 / i7 were not suitable for a refurb, despite all the fuss about the broken screen and the graphic card \

Stop trolling and thread jacking! This thread has nothing to do with iMacs.
post #59 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Exactly why it probably won't have a full blown Snow Leopard OS. I have an iPhone, a MacBook Pro, and a Mac Pro. The rumored tablet should fall somewhere between the iPhone and the MacBook Pro in power and capabilities with its own version of OSX. Why should it be a replacement to some other device? Just like my toolbox in my garage. I have a finish hammer, a framing hammer, rubber mallet and a sledge hammer. I just select the best tool for any given job.

Agreed, a hammer is a good tool. Most times they are a lot faster than screwdrivers!
post #60 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

WTH are you talking about?

Wrong thread.
post #61 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Except of course that the MacBook line is down to one machine instead of three or four like before.

So whatever the iSlate is, it's being planned on replacing the laptop eventually and it's going to start with the lower units, education etc and work it's way up to the pro machines.
post #62 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, a hammer is a good tool. Most times they are a lot faster than screwdrivers!

Yes, the last time I used my framing hammer was to beat my MacBook's glossy screen to hell. ( a drink spilled on the keyboard and I didn't want to spend $600 to attempt to fix it)

True story.
post #63 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.

your opinion and you are certainly welcome to it.

But the iphone has shown a wide range of usefulness and there are many that feel it would be more so with a better screen. So it will likely sell quite well

For those like yourself that want power, get a laptop., That's what they are made for.
post #64 of 156
Quote:

What does Java got to do with Apple allowing apps to run on the iSlate outside the App Store?

You made a general statement about having the choice to run what apps you want, from wherever you want as being such a great thing. Theoretically, sure, but in reality, not so much, hence my comment about Java to show you that trying to make a one-size-fits-all solution isnt necessarily the panacea idealistic people think it is.
post #65 of 156
Quote:

Yes, but how about the easy UI AND the choice to run what apps you want? from wherever you want?

We can have cake and eat it too, it's just Apple isn't going to allow it, unless you jailbreak your iSlate and shut yourself out of any future updates/App Store.

One has to ask themselves, why hasn't any of the many great iPhone apps made it to OS X?

Why hasn't Apple made a DA that runs the same Apps as the iPhone so you can use the same programs on your Mac and your iPhone?

Apple has made duo compilers before, for PPC and Intel, one click compiles for either, so it's no sweat for them and the App developers.

It's because Apple is going to a closed UI for the masses, and OS X as we know it will be "for Pro's only" and eventually discontinued from lack of software availability in favor of the new closed iSlate/iPhone UI.

It's the future and it's closed.

I can't argue with someone so jaded. You are right that iPhone OS could have side loaded apps, but I don't feel like debating the pros and cons right now.
post #66 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

WTH are you talking about?

Wrong thread.

Apparently this guy has a kind of one-note mind: his last half dozen or so posts, in random threads, have been about demanding an "investigation" on the shipping delays of the 27" iMac, before that he had some random griping about this or that missing feature, then it was 8 or 9 posts in a row, in random threads, about notes and to-do and syncing on the iPhone.

Maybe he and MacTripper can form a little club where they can take turns responding to any and all topics with the same few bitter denunciations. Call it "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Rants."
post #67 of 156
I think at the moment there are not much alternatives to ARM, since intel began to "block" e.g. the ION Chipset.

1. A netbook-replacement with Atom CPU and Intel GMA
2. A MBP with a flipped screen weighing 5 pounds at a price of e.g. 1500 - 2000 $

No. 1 will fail on delivering multi-media content and games and No 2 because of price and usability. I wouldn't buy both. (+ there are no touch-optimized applications).

Adding some OSX 10.6 features and services to iPhone OS sounds more reasonable to me.
post #68 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

...the iphone has shown a wide range of usefulness and there are many that feel it would be more so with a better screen. So it will likely sell quite well

For those like yourself that want power, get a laptop., That's what they are made for.

But it's the iSlate, the replacement of the MacBook and further laptops from Apple after that (over the course of time naturally)

Sure the iPhone UI has some nice apps, but you have to jailbreak the device in order to run apps Apple doesn't approve of or conflicts with their goals or potential hardware sales.

Once you jailbreak the device, you might not get updates or have to rely upon some guy named 133th@xor2 for your security updates.
post #69 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apparently this guy has a kind of one-note mind: his last half dozen or so posts, in random threads, have been about demanding an "investigation" on the shipping delays of the 27" iMac, before that he had some random griping about this or that missing feature, then it was 8 or 9 posts in a row, in random threads, about notes and to-do and syncing on the iPhone.

Maybe he and MacTripper can form a little club where they can take turns responding to any and all topics with the same few bitter denunciations. Call it "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Rants."

I have nothing to do with the youngster with the iMac shipping problem.

My subject is on topic and it concerns the possible iSlate OS and if Apple is going to lock it to the App Store or not.

However if any of us are bothering you, there is a "Ignore" feature in your USER CP.

Works wonders.

Bye now.
post #70 of 156
Quote:

Except of course that the MacBook line is down to one machine instead of three or four like before.

So whatever the iSlate is, it's being planned on replacing the laptop eventually and it's going to start with the lower units, education etc and work it's way up to the pro machines.

Your assumption is illogical. The iBook had two sizes and yet the MB was only one size, so by your simplifying logic the move to the MB meant they were going to can it back in 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

He wants no other topic or article to be written on AI until the iMac situation is resolved. WTF! If he posts that again Im going to report him.
post #71 of 156
Quote:

But it's the iSlate, the replacement of the MacBook and further laptops from Apple after that (over the course of time naturally)

I probably shouldn't even respond to one of your posts, but I feel this is completely wrong. The MBP is not going to be replaced by a tablet and I can only hope that your reference to the supposed name of said tablet is just as incorrect as the rest of your post.

post #72 of 156
Quote:

However if any of us are bothering you, there is a "Ignore" feature in your USER CP.

Works wonders.

Actually it doesnt. You still see their name and it breaks up the thread. then if anyone replies to them you still see their post.
post #73 of 156
Quote:

My subject is on topic and it concerns the possible iSlate OS and if Apple is going to lock it to the App Store or not.

Of course apps will be delivered through the AppStore. Android's recent phishing problems are EXACTLY why a closed ecosystem is a good idea. An approval percentage rate in the high 90's for AppStore submissions doesn't indicate censorship, IMO. The platform works better than any other - how can one argue that?
post #74 of 156
Quote:

You made a general statement about having the choice to run what apps you want, from wherever you want as being such a great thing.

Apps from whomever you choose, designed to work on the OS your using naturally. Not locked into what Apple tells you you can run from the App Store.

Quote:
Theoretically, sure, but in reality, not so much, hence my comment about Java to show you that trying to make a one-size-fits-all solution isnt necessarily the panacea idealistic people think it is.

I'm not talking about a cross-platform OS, just the users ability to run apps from other sources besides the App Store on the iSlate without jailbreaking their device.

This subject will come up for discussion once the iSlate is uncovered.
post #75 of 156
Quote:

Ha ha, we used to have a joke in the business: When you needed a sledge hammer to seriously move some screw up on a construction job, we would tell a co-worker 'Go get the micrometer.'

post #76 of 156
Quote:

OH NO!!!

Then you could run what software you liked, instead of what Apple tells you you can run.

And Apple can't make a cut of the proceeds neither with your suggestion!

OH we can't have that, no frigging way!!!

As a user, I don't mind Apple taking a 30% cut when all I have to pay for a useful app is a couple of bucks (instead of $30 - $40 on computers and dedicated gaming devices.

As a developer, I don't mind giving Apple 30% of my take when I don't have to bother with a publisher, a retailer, and marketing. Sweet deal.

Get a grip, tripper.

Thompson
post #77 of 156
Quote:

Sure the iPhone UI has some nice apps, but you have to jailbreak the device in order to run apps Apple doesn't approve of or conflicts with their goals or potential hardware sales.

Once you jailbreak the device, you might not get updates or have to rely upon some guy named 133th@xor2 for your security updates.

I highly doubt the tablet is going to replace the laptop anytime soon. By that logic, shouldnt the laptop have replaced the desktop? It does many of the same things, only portable.

You dont have to jailbreak the iPhone, you choose to. If you dont like one of the 125,000 apps out for the iPhone then maybe the Android platform is more for you.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #78 of 156
Quote:

Actually it doesnt. You still see their name and it breaks up the thread. then if anyone replies to them you still see their post.

Looks like it needs some improvement then, perhaps a little discipline and tolerance from the readers too.

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." - Marcus Aurelius
post #79 of 156
Quote:

And if the hammer is your sole tool every problem looks like a nail.
post #80 of 156
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not talking about a cross-platform OS, just the users ability to run apps from other sources besides the App Store on the iSlate without jailbreaking their device.

So you think its good to lock it to a companys specific base OS, but not lock it into a specific version of that OS no matter how different the OSes are between that companys OSes. So despite that phones have essentially the same HW you dont want an app that runs on the Nexus One to run on the iPhone, but want an app that runs on Mac OS X to run on the iPod Touch. That is pretty backwards even for you.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'