or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Is there any way to disable Magic Mouse scrolling in Photoshop / Illustrator?

Is there any way to disable Magic Mouse scrolling in Photoshop / Illustrator?

post #1 of 10
This is driving me nuts*the new Magic Mouse is so touchy that while I am working in Photoshop or Illustrator, it is constantly shifting the page around.

Imagine you were using the Hand tool, and it was moving left, right, up down at random

I have been looking for a way to disable this, but can't find anything application specific.

Help!
post #2 of 10
OK so it looks like you just have to turn off both the "One Finger Scroll" and the "Two Finger Swipe" in the Mouse preferences.

http://img.skitch.com/20100115-s4a5u...5rr9pu2edu.jpg
post #3 of 10
If you think the magic mouse is bad then brace yourself for Apple's revolutionary new generation input device...
Scroll down for the video.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_harper View Post

This is driving me nuts…*the new Magic Mouse is so touchy that while I am working in Photoshop or Illustrator, it is constantly shifting the page around.

Imagine you were using the Hand tool, and it was moving left, right, up down at random…

I have been looking for a way to disable this, but can't find anything application specific.

Help!

This has never been satisfactorily answered.

The application called "BetterTouchTool" is lousy and only works occasionally... "MagicPrefs" application is only so-so... AppleScripting an event to turn off the scroll wheel is a bust... Who can point me (and Keith) in the right direction?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 10
Hello,

We got a request for such a software. We found a way to do it and are right now packaging it as an app that will be in the Mac App Store. It is using the same mechanism as Palua, our other app.

Basically, you get a global shortcut that does the switch, and you also get a smart mode that activates or deactivates the scrolling (vertical and/or horizontal customizable) based on the application that has the focus.

How does that sound?

Check Palua on the MAS or on our website to have an idea of the features.
post #6 of 10
Guys,

As some of you have heard, by getting in touch directly, this tool won't be released. We do have a valid binary working fine, and disabling horizontal scrolling, but it only works in 10.6. With Lion, gestures became so intimately tied to the system that it just can't be allowed to disable this horizontal scrolling.

As a consequence, it is possible to completely disable scrolling on the magic mouse, both horizontal and vertical, but not just horizontal However, no scrolling kinda kills the magic in the magic mouse.

The other product, Pa'ina, is a tool to deactivate the TAP-TO-CLICK feature of the trackpad, it has nothing to do with the scrolling. The scrolling killer tool is called Lolelole, but again, it will not be released on the MAS. If you are using 10.6, and want this feature, get in touch with us through the website (www.molowa.com) and we'll see jhow we can provide you with a binary.

Olivier./.
post #7 of 10

Not sure whether the trail has gone cold on this one but I just wanted to vent my frustrations with this feature. To have the mouse control the scrolling down and across the pages is fine but as it is also 'dialling' up and down the object size in the Object Pallette in Illustrator is simply daft in my opinion!

Why on earth would I want to adjust the object size by scrolling the mouse until I hopefully rest on the right dimension???  If I want it to be 10mm tall then I will type 10 and hit enter. 

AAARRRRGGGHHHH

Sorry to all for the rant (except those at Apple or Adobe responsible for this) 

post #8 of 10

if this is still actual maybe trying http://magicprefs.com/ works fine and can be easily configured

post #9 of 10
Originally Posted by saffron View Post
if this is still actual maybe trying http://magicprefs.com/ works fine and can be easily configured

I've never had any trouble with either my Magic Mouse nor my Magic Trackpad in either of them. I guess it's fixed.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #10 of 10

I was having a problem with this in Illustrator as well and found the answer.

The problem is that when I'm using my magic mouse, if I just accidentally brush my finger across my Magic mouse, then it would send my document into a random scroll that would slowly slow down until it stops. I would loose my ability to do anything until it stops and it was getting annoying.

To fix this, the control isn't actually in your mouse preferences, but instead it is in the Accessibility preference pane in System Preferences. 

Once you are in Accessibility scroll down to "Mouse and Trackpad." Click on the "Mouse Options" button and in the checked scrolling pop-up, select "without inertia." Leave scrolling checked.

That fixed the problem for me. Hope it helps.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Is there any way to disable Magic Mouse scrolling in Photoshop / Illustrator?