or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of flickering 27-inch iMacs claim 15% refund from Apple

Owners of flickering 27-inch iMacs claim 15% refund from Apple

post #1 of 85
Some users who have been plagued by screen flickering issues with the new 27-inch iMac have reportedly been given a 15 percent refund on their purchase price.

Citing reports from customers in the U.S. and the U.K., Gizmodo reported Thursday that Apple is paying out cash to some who have been frustrated by a defective big-screen iMac. For a $2,000 machine, the refund would amount to $300.

"From the handful of reader anecdotes we've received thus far, it sounds like you need to be a repeat iMac returner who's dealt with multiple 27-inch iMacs that have been busted in some way (but they may accommodate first time buyers as well, we don't know)," the report said. "One reader had multiple yellow screens, then received another new model with broken Bluetooth. He took the 15% and just returned it."

On Monday evening, the Mac maker released a second potential software fix for the flickering issues that have affected some owners of the newly redesigned late 2009 model iMac. The update, entitled "27-inch iMac Display Firmware Update 1.0," was preceded by first intended fix in December, entitled "27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0."

Before the second update was released, a rumor surfaced that Apple had temporarily suspended production of its 27-inch iMac desktop machines. But Apple later officially denied those claims, stating that machines were still being produced and sold.

Starting in late January, new iMac purchases were hit with a three-week wait time. This week, however, the shipment times improved to two weeks.

Supply of the new, big-screen iMac has been constrained for months, and Apple even apologized for delays in December. However, the company has chalked the supply constraints up to the new desktop being a "huge hit," rather than any hardware or production issues.

post #2 of 85
I assume Apple will resolve this problem - hopefully sooner than later - the compensation for those hit repeatedly is nice but still doesn't make me want to jump up and get one. Glad to see Apple is taking care of those with problems. Once they get this issue resolved I wil be looking at getting one.

BTW: Is this possibly the reason AAPL is taking a beating so far today?
post #3 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I assume Apple will resolve this problem - hopefully sooner than later - the compensation for those hit repeatedly is nice but still doesn't make me want to jump up and get one. Glad to see Apple is taking care of those with problems. Once they get this issue resolved I wil be looking at getting one.

BTW: Is this possibly the reason AAPL is taking a beating so far today?

I believe it's trended down ever since the release of the Pad.
post #4 of 85
Okay, so that story is less than clear. Are customers of problematic 27"ers getting $300 and keeping their machines, are they getting their $2000 back plus $300 when they return the machine, or are they returning the machine and only getting $300 back? One would hope it's purchase price plus 15%, but whatever the case is, it is certainly not made clear in this write up.

As for Apple's little (big) problem here... That's what happens when you let QA slip. Apple, do you have an engineering problem, or do you have an assembly problem? Either way, it appears you do little or no testing of product coming off the line or you would have found and fixed this issue before the units ever left the factory. Maybe this is what you get for building machines in China.

Apple, get your act together. This is not limited to the 27" iMac. I've been noticing a huge drop in quality of all the devices I've purchased, and now I'm seriously starting to look around for alternatives to your stuff. I have no love for Windoze, that's for sure, but other hardware makers are coming out with some pretty cool kit, and Linux is pretty darn good now - good enough to replace you and M$. (On a side note Apple, anti-aliasing in Linux looks tons better than in MacOS X.)
post #5 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Apple, get your act together. This is not limited to the 27" iMac. I've been noticing a huge drop in quality of all the devices I've purchased, and now I'm seriously starting to look around for alternatives to your stuff. I have no love for Windoze, that's for sure, but other hardware makers are coming out with some pretty cool kit, and Linux is pretty darn good now - good enough to replace you and M$. (On a side note Apple, anti-aliasing in Linux looks tons better than in MacOS X.)

Right? Go ahead switch to Linux.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Okay, so that story is less than clear. Are customers of problematic 27"ers getting $300 and keeping their machines, are they getting their $2000 back plus $300 when they return the machine, or are they returning the machine and only getting $300 back? One would hope it's purchase price plus 15%, but whatever the case is, it is certainly not made clear in this write up.

As for Apple's little (big) problem here... That's what happens when you let QA slip. Apple, do you have an engineering problem, or do you have an assembly problem? Either way, it appears you do little or no testing of product coming off the line or you would have found and fixed this issue before the units ever left the factory. Maybe this is what you get for building machines in China.

You have some major reading comprehension issues. Further you really shouldn't comment on products you don't own. I'm sure customers are given new machines if they insist. My understanding of the problem is that it is software related. So I don't think handing it over to Apple will fix anything. Sure you can get a 100% refund. Nobody is quicker to do that than Apple. Have you ever tried returning a computer to Best buy, or directly to HP or Dell. Good luck with a Linux "warranty".

This sounds like a courtesy to me. "Sorry for the trouble". The 15% refund has nothing to do with returning the machine. In fact if you already got a 100% refund, I doubt you'll get the 15% on top of that. Like I said the problem is related to ATI's firmware. AKA not hardware or QC related.

Go buy a Dell or an HP and experience how well their products and QC stack up if you're so confident that Apple makes crap. Can you tell me what other products you are referring to?

I wonder if you'll get 15% back from HP? Doubt it. Besides why criticize Apple for making their machines in china? Name one company that doesn't. You're a troll.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #7 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

You have some major reading comprehension issues. Further you really shouldn't comment on products you don't own. I'm sure customers are given new machines if they insist. My understanding of the problem is that it is software related. So I don't think handing it over to Apple will fix anything. Sure you can get a 100% refund. Nobody is quicker to do that than Apple. Have you ever tried returning a computer to Best buy, or directly to HP or Dell. Good luck with a Linux "warranty".

This sounds like a courtesy to me. "Sorry for the trouble". The 15% refund has nothing to do with returning the machine. In fact if you already got a 100% refund, I doubt you'll get the 15% on top of that. Like I said the problem is related to ATI's firmware. AKA not hardware or QC related.

Go buy a Dell or an HP and experience how well their products and QC stack up if you're so confident that Apple makes crap. Can you tell me what other products you are referring to?

I wonder if you'll get 15% back from HP? Doubt it. Besides why criticize Apple for making their machines in china? Name one company that doesn't. You're a troll.

this is probably the most wrong post I've ever seen....
post #8 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

According to this (under What Could Be Wrong), it looks like it could be a manufacturing defect.
post #9 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right? Go ahead switch to Linux.

You laugh. I love my linux system. It replaced my Mac system. Not looking back either!
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #10 of 85
And Apple still will not acknowledge that this is a widespread problem.
post #11 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

You laugh. I love my linux system. It replaced my Mac system. Not looking back either!

I have many Linux machines and have used nearly every flavor of Unix since the early 90s and not one could come close to replacing a Mac for serious publishing/design/video/audio etc, etc, etc. So if you replaced your Mac with Linux you must not have ever needed a Mac in the first place.

Linux is a fine OS for servers but it makes a pretty lousy desktop environment in my opinion.

post #12 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Apple sell an image. A fundamental part of which is 'it just works'

Admitting this destroys that in one foul swoop.

style over substance...?

you bet..
post #13 of 85
Quote:

Please. As if any company comes out and declares "we've fucked up" to the mass public.

Nothing better to kill the image of your product.
post #14 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Please. As if any company comes out and declares "we've fucked up" to the mass public.

Nothing better to kill the image of your product.

Yeah, tell that to Toyota. Oh, wait...
post #15 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

style over substance...?

you bet..

It would be fell swoop, actually. But I agree with what you're saying.
post #16 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You're right you have to replace a Mac with a Windows system to truly become productive.........

true..

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...too/1253136981
post #17 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by confeos View Post

It would be fell swoop, actually. But I agree with what you're saying.

its a country thing...
post #18 of 85
Right now my 27" iMac is going strong, I just worry that it will develop these issues and I will be out of luck.
post #19 of 85
Quote:

style over substance...?

you bet..

Brainless troll over reality...?

Absolutely.
post #20 of 85
Quote:

style over substance...?

you bet..

Ignore.
post #21 of 85
Quote:

true..

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...too/1253136981

that guy's article:

Quote:
Consistently, I get about 30 percent to 40 percent more work done using Windows 7 than either Leopard or Snow Leopard ... More importantly, I have loads more fun using Windows 7 than Mac OS X. I haven't had this much fun using a Microsoft operating system since Windows 95. After more than three months running Mac OS X, I really missed Windows 7.

Guy is sort of a clown. I appreciated his relatively non-partisan writing style, but chose Win7 on such weak knees. It somehow allows him to work 40% better and is more fun. Hmm.
post #22 of 85
Every manufacturer, regardless of what they make, experiences production problems from time to time. Sometimes they're faulty components, sometimes they're QA problems, and in the case of computers sometimes they're just software glitches. There are only two things that distinguish one manufacturer from another: 1. How often do these situations happen? 2. How well does the manufacturer respond to these problems when they arise?

Based on Apple's reputation for great customer service, I'd say that item (2) speaks for itself. What I find more concerning is the frequency with which I've seen news articles that mention item (1). It seems like Apple's been having quite a bit of problem with iMac displays the last several years. I realize that flat screens, while more attractive, are more prone to problems than CRTs. But the number of news stories that have come out over the last couple years about Apple's iMac and laptop screen issues are indeed worrisome.

I'm a lifetime Apple user (with the exception of a short dalliance with a Compaq PC that ran Windows 98) and am fluent in both Windows, Macs, and Linux. I've often had to use Windows at work but have always had a Mac at home. By and large I think Apple is a great company. But if I were Steve Jobs right now, I would take a long hard serious look at where I was buying the LCD components for my computers.

I hadn't actually stopped to analyze it, but when I replaced my old Power Mac G4, I chose a Mac Mini rather than an iMac. I justified it by saying that I already had a keyboard and mouse that I like as well as a relatively new 19 inch widescreen monitor. However in retrospect, the idea of the "all-in-one" iMac disturbed me. I think honestly that subconsciously I chose not to purchase an iMac based on the number of LCD problems I'd heard about. I honestly would've much rather had the faster machine, but I like the ability of choosing my own monitor rather than relying on a built-in LCD that I can't get rid of.
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Yeah, tell that to Toyota. Oh, wait...

Sigh I rarely say this, but you are an idiot. Toyota did not just come out and declare they had a problem, years later it took the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to formally come out with the problem before Toymotors even started to admit to it.

Same with the "new" problem with the Prius....

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Toyota has known about brake problems in its popular Prius cars for some time, going so far as to fix it in new production vehicles, but has kept Prius drivers in the dark about the problem until the Japanese government called for an investigation.

Seriously why do people insist on posting just to 'hear themselves talk'.
post #24 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I believe it's trended down ever since the release of the Pad.

Ok, so why has it trended down?
post #25 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The stock always drops after a product release because the product never lives up to the expectations of the rumour mill.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #26 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

The stock always drops after a product release because the product never lives up to the expectations of the rumour mill.

..that and the iPhone sales were at the lower end of expectations, given 300-400k unsold inventory.
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Brainless troll over reality...?

Absolutely.

I love originality...

you..??

post #28 of 85
Quote:

If only 1% of the whole lot is defective, that's not widespread.
post #29 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

If only 1% of the whole lot is defective, that's not widespread.

Then why the hush money?
post #30 of 85
Quote:

The NASDAQ is down about 3% today that would be 6 points for Apple which is down 7 points. They always drop a little more than the NASDAQ and they swing higher as well. I doubt it has anything to do with the 27 inch screen flicker.

It would be interesting to know if there is more than one manufacturing plant making these screens for Apple and if the problems all existed with one factory.
post #31 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Then why the hush money?

A. That info is from Gizmodo. No wait, they apparently spoke to a guy who works for an authorized reseller.repair shop.

B. That was in the UK. not worldwide.

C. this is from the article:

UPDATE: According to an Apple customer support discussion with one of our readers, the 15% bonus refund is officially for "tax and shipping"it's a flat base rate to cover your return no matter the area you are in. So if you have an 8% sales tax, you may only be pocketing 7% (and even less after shipping if you don't have an Apple Store near). Obviously this offer ranges from small bonus to adequate refund, depending on your circumstance, but returning an iMac is far from a money making venture.
post #32 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have many Linux machines and have used nearly every flavor of Unix since the early 90s and not one could come close to replacing a Mac for serious publishing/design/video/audio etc, etc, etc. So if you replaced your Mac with Linux you must not have ever needed a Mac in the first place.

Linux is a fine OS for servers but it makes a pretty lousy desktop environment in my opinion.

Ubuntu makes a nice netbook OS too, if that's all you need, more secure and faster than Windows and OpenOffice is free, Firefox is a better browser than any other too.

Apple's answer to the netbook is a iPad that costs twice as much and doesn't have a real keyboard and a real OS for that matter.

Netbooks top Amazon seller of laptops:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/netbooks-t...-notebook-list
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #33 of 85
Quote:

Uh, because Apple announced a very niche product tied to a all controlling app store and publishers who just raised their e-book prices from $9.99 to $14.99?

Of course if and WHEN Apple announces RENTING of books on the iBookStore, then sales should take off.

So take the pull back as a blessing to buy cheap and sell higher later on this year.
post #34 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Apple's answer to the netbook is a iPad that costs twice as much and doesn't have a real keyboard and a real OS for that matter.

It's not an answer to netbooks. Different target-audience.
post #35 of 85
Quote:

this is probably the most wrong post I've ever seen....

If your going to take the time to post at least try to add something intelligent.
wrong post? .... why?
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #36 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

If you're happy, I'm happy ... see ya ... wouldn't wanna be ya.
post #37 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If your going to take the time to post at least try to add something intelligent.
wrong post? .... why?

Trolls don't elaborate. They'd rather think they "got ya" with a snarky zing. We don't have 27" imacs in our studio, so I was referring to Apple's official statement. They say it's ATI's drivers. Here's the link...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3181

Everyone seems to believe there is some devious coverup going on. I've found Apple to be very supportive and when there are problems, they have always given me more without question than any other company. Sometimes I wonder how they can do it. This rebate reflects that philosophy. it's not "payola".
post #38 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

2: Obama the socialist. (I think Colin Powell would have made a better first black president.)

This would be the same Colin Powell that "proved" the existence of WMDs in Iraq? Really? hmm.
post #39 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

What product release? The iPad (from the orignal post) has not been released.
post #40 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

wrong post? .... why?

nothing major...

just all the facts.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of flickering 27-inch iMacs claim 15% refund from Apple